Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 16th December 2007
TakeToTheHills

First 7-14 shots correct for perspective .. or not

My first outing with the 7-14mm, so I'm still getting used to the world of ultra-wide.
These are all hand held at about 1/8s - which seems no problem for the E3's IS and such a wide lens.

Which of these first two do you prefer ?

As shot :

Or perspective corrected vertical crop ( of the same image ).

For this one,I knew enough to hold the camera level and the crop is the top half of the frame.

Any plug-ins to correct near distortion as on the lamp-post ?
Old 17th December 2007

Liked 678 Times in 245 Posts
Re: First 7-14 shots correct for perspective .. or not

Hi -

Probably too early* for some folk I'm not the one to reply really. I like the third shot best. The first I felt was too busy.
I use Elements 5 and contained in the program under the filter tab is 'correct camera distortion' - it is very effective.

What program do you use as this I think will help you get the answer you require?

Regards. Barr1e

[Edit] *I forgot we are all not retirees.
Old 17th December 2007
Administrator

Liked 486 Times in 269 Posts

I'm no expert, but I prefer the top rather than the second. IMHO the distortion makes the picture more dramatic as things flow inwards to a perspective point rather than just up and down

Re the lamppost in the bottom - it's not where the eye is drawn and whilst some will probably disagree it's therefore not a issue in my opnion

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 17th December 2007

Liked 897 Times in 349 Posts

I like the last one best.
Dave.
Old 17th December 2007

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

1 and 3 are both good.

2 is a perfectly fine photograph - but why use the 7-14 if you are going to crop the width?.

I actually enjoy lens distortion - it's a feature of the photograph and not really a problem (to me), except in some architectural shots.

After all - almost every image is grossly distorted, how else do we get 3 dimensions into a 2 dimensional representation.

Sorry - I forgot - computer technology allows us to create perfect (flat) images. Because we can now do it then that's the way it should be done.

Please - experiment with the angle of the lens, I want those rotating seats crashing towards my head, or trying to lift the whole roundabout into the sky.

Nick
Old 17th December 2007
ndl0071

I prefer the third shot, like Shenstone I didn't notice the lamp post initially, it was not until I read your caption that I realised that it is actually distorted

Cheers
Neil
Old 17th December 2007
TakeToTheHills

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments: the last one is also my choice.

For the first ones, the post perspective cropping removes very little information, but the process certainly significantly changes the emphasis a lot more than I've seen with other lenses.

I used to do this perspective correction thing all the time with a (35mm) 21mm lens, but this lens changes the rules - should be fun learning all over again.

PS: How do I delete from the Gallery ( I posted the attachment before I found out this forum could do attachments, and I don't think it should be preserved there )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SwingRideInCropSmall.jpg (79.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 22nd December 2007
alert_bri

I'd like to put my vote in for image 1 and 3... the distortion on no.1 actually improves the composition imho. I like no 3 because you've got the beautifully lit-up slide tower in the background to the left, framed nicely.

Well Done! and thanks for sharing... I would learn to use the characteristics of this lens, rather than trying to 'correct' away the character!

Kind Regards

Brian
Old 20th January 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,555 Times in 891 Posts

Hi,

I use my 7-14 to produce the gross distortions and perspective shifts to maximum effect. The vast depth of field is also used to full effect. It takes a lot of getting used to and as with a lot of good phototography you have to know the type of image you are wanting to create before you ever pick up the camera.

You may want to try linking the camera to a laptop and viewing the image in real time to see what is in the picture. Judges will often tell you to look in the corners before you press the button. With Super-Wide lenses the corners are always full of "other things". However you can use this to your advantage which is most of the fun in having the 7-14.

I've put a few of my London shots into my gallery, which you may care to view

Have Fun

Graham