Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 25th November 2013

Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts
ZD7-14 vs Pany micro 7-14 on E-M1

Now that I have two m43rds bodies (E-M1 and EPL-5) and my E-3 will be leaving me soon, I have started to think about the 43rds glass that I already own and its usability on my micro bodies, in particularly the E-M1.
Hopefully I will be getting my free grip and MMF3 by Christmas although I have the cheap version of the latter.
I was always going to use my 43rds glass with my E-M1 rather than move completely to micro glass but I have been wondering of late if any of the focal lengths that I have could be reproduced in the micro format and what the implications would be (size would be a BIG advantage).
There is only one direct equivalent as I see it and that is for my 7-14 ZD. There were discussions about the ZD and micro Panny versions back in the Spring. Although I love my ZD, the Panny version would be better suited size wise to the E-M1.
Would I be mad to change or should I stick with using the big old ZD plus MMF3 on my E-M1?

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 25th November 2013

Thanked 1,146 Times in 1,021 Posts
Liked 1,223 Times in 797 Posts
Re: ZD7-14 vs Pany micro 7-14 on E-M1

Dave in the same boat would like to know if the m4/3 matches the quality of my 4/3 7-14? Answers please.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 25th November 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Ian commented (favorably) on the m43 version when it came out, relative the the 43 version. That was on lower resolution sensors though. He should be able to provide a more in depth comparison now - and he has got an E-M1 again!

It is difficult to believe that it's an absolute match,; but the real question has to be whether it's good enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to photo_owl For This Useful Post:
Wee man (25th November 2013)
Old 25th November 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,559 Times in 894 Posts

Seems as though there are many of us in the same boat. I have the ZD7-14 but also have the brilliant Zuiko 9-18 MFT.

Frequently I find myself taking a set of shots with the 9-18 that will then be stitched into the "Ultra Wide" image that the 7mm end of the ZD would have provided.

The size/weight advantage is really significant and the resultant stitched image is often of a much higher resolution. There is also the extra interest and enjoyment of producing the Ultra Wide image over that of simply capturing it with the 7-14.

It would be interesting to see a good comparison done between the two 7-14 lenses. Hopefully someone has the two and will do it for us.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 25th November 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I have had both lenses, but not at the same time, and haven't used the Zuiko on m4/3 cameras. They are both good, but I got the impression that the Zuiko was better. But of course it's much heavier. I think it all depends on how often you're going to take it out. Grahams solution is certainly an interesting one.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 25th November 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Grahams solution is certainly an interesting one.
This was done with the 17mm f/1.8 that Ian let me have use of at Greenwich. It's 3 shots, put together in PS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (27th November 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (27th November 2013)
Old 25th November 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

That's a good stitch. What did you use? I've always had problems stitching from lenses wider than 25mm in m4/3 terms.

My Flickr site
Old 25th November 2013
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: ZD7-14 vs Pany micro 7-14 on E-M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
That's a good stitch. What did you use? I've always had problems stitching from lenses wider than 25mm in m4/3 terms.
That was "photomerge" in PS CS4 However I've had a lot of success with Microsoft ICE It's FREE and well worth a try.

I use at least a third overlap and often as much as a half. The biggest I have done is 12 in a 270 sweep and my most successful was 5 in 90, but that had very distinct parts of the image that made it easy to join them.

Actually having to think about the way you are going to produce the end result and getting good consistent exposure is a lot like "Old School" photography and is fun

Old 25th November 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

I have used ICE with good effect. However, I doubt they do a version for Mac, now that I've moved over to the Dark Side! I used to use Autopano Pro, but I think my licence may have expired. I shall experiment with Photoshop CC.

My Flickr site
Old 25th November 2013

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

This is an interesting discussion. Firstly, the original poster should bear in mind the rumours circulating that Olympus is working on a "Pro" series Micro Four Thirds 7-14mm f/2.8 lens which might well prove to be the ideal solution. The Panasonic 7-14mm is, as I understand it, known to have generally good image quality (and is much, much smaller than the 7-14 ZD), but it has issues with very poor flare characteristics in some use cases, which is significantly more of a problem on Sony sensor fitted Olympus cameras than on cameras with a Panasonic sensor (opinion is divided about how important that those are, but anyone considering buying this lens for an Olympus body should at least consider the flare issues).

Having myself recently bought an E-M1 (not having previously used any Four Thirds equipment; the E-M1 was a replacement for an E-P3 and other equipment stolen in a burglary last month), I wondered for a time about getting a secondhand 7-14mm ZD (I already have a secondhand 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 on order), but decided against it for the time being partly because I wanted to spend more time using the equipment that I have to see whether I might really get a use out of such an ultra-wide lens that would justify the cost, or whether I might better spend the money elsewhere, but also partly because the thing seemed enormous and the thought of carrying about lots of very heavy equipment whenever I want to take photographs is not a happy one (which is part of why I use Micro Four Thirds in the first place).

If I was in the OP's position of already having the 7-14 ZD, I should be strongly inclined to use it for a while and see what it is like on the E-M1, and wait to see whether the "wide angle zoom" on the Olympus lens road map does indeed turn out to be the rumoured 7-14mm f/2.8 (or at least f/4.0; maximum aperture values in rumours are often off) and at that stage compare that, the Panasonic 7-14 and your existing Olympus.

Incidentally, I should be very interested to see any photographs of the 7-14 ZD mounted on the E-M1 and see any photographs taken with this combination, as well as read reports of what it is like to use in practice.
Old 25th November 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespetts View Post
Incidentally, I should be very interested to see any photographs of the 7-14 ZD mounted on the E-M1.....
The Four Thirds Organisation website has a very useful matching simulation which will show you how any combination of 4/3 and m4/3 cameras and lenses looks.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Otto (27th November 2013)
Old 25th November 2013

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Ahh, yes, I have seen the matching simulation: I ought to have mentioned that. It would still be useful to see it in real life, however.
Old 25th November 2013

Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespetts View Post
This is an interesting discussion. Firstly, the original poster should bear in mind the rumours circulating that Olympus is working on a "Pro" series Micro Four Thirds 7-14mm f/2.8 lens which might well prove to be the ideal solution. The Panasonic 7-14mm is, as I understand it, known to have generally good image quality (and is much, much smaller than the 7-14 ZD), but it has issues with very poor flare characteristics in some use cases, which is significantly more of a problem on Son6y sensor fitted Olympus cameras than on cameras with a Panasonic sensor (opinion is divided about how important that those are, but anyone considering buying this lens for an Olympus body should at least consider the flare issues).

Having myself recently bought an E-M1 (not having previously used any Four Thirds equipment; the E-M1 was a replacement for an E-P3 and other equipment stolen in a burglary last month), I wondered for a time about getting a secondhand 7-14mm ZD (I already have a secondhand 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 on order), but decided against it for the time being partly because I wanted to spend more time using the equipment that I have to see whether I might really get a use out of such an ultra-wide lens that would justify the cost, or whether I might better spend the money elsewhere, but also partly because the thing seemed enormous and the thought of carrying about lots of very heavy equipment whenever I want to take photographs is not a happy one (which is part of why I use Micro Four Thirds in the first place).

If I was in the OP's position of already having the 7-14 ZD, I should be strongly inclined to use it for a while and see what it is like on the E-M1, and wait to see whether the "wide angle zoom" on the Olympus lens road map does indeed turn out to be the rumoured 7-14mm f/2.8 (or at least f/4.0; maximum aperture values in rumours are often off) and at that stage compare that, the Panasonic 7-14 and your existing Olympus.

Incidentally, I should be very interested to see any photographs of the 7-14 ZD mounted on the E-M1 and see any photographs taken with this combination, as well as read reports of what it is like to use in practice.
It looks well mean. I will try and post a piccie.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 26th November 2013
Administrator

A 7-14 f/2.8 would be very big and the rear element may even be too big to work on a MFT body. The design of any zoom is always a compromise, and super wide angle even more so. However with sensors getting ever better, who's to say what they will develop next.

Old 26th November 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
A 7-14 f/2.8 would be very big and the rear element may even be too big to work on a MFT body. The design of any zoom is always a compromise, and super wide angle even more so. However with sensors getting ever better, who's to say what they will develop next.
but then again the existing 43 version is really an F2