Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 6th July 2013
Alpha1

VF-4 on the E-M5

Today, I purchased the latest VF-4 electronic viewfinder for use with my OM-D's E-M5 and the 60mm macro.

I want to place the camera very low or on the ground to get shots of bugs etc and swivel the viewfinder so that I can focus and compose by looking down. I can't easily lay on my stomach any more and even if I could I doubt if I could get up again!

First of all I needed to update both of my E-M5 bodies as the VF-4 needs the latest 1.7 firmware to work. I was amazed to find that my firmware was 1.5 so well out of date. The VF-4 fitted and works perfectly, offering 2.36 million dots resolution so better than the built in EVF. It has a substantially larger screen than the VF-3 and has it's own adjustable diopter switch.

I am really looking forward to using this beauty!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Pierre L (6th July 2013)
Old 6th July 2013

Liked 1,325 Times in 625 Posts
Re: VF-4 on the E-M5

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it Dave as this is something I have been considering for my macro and BIF work
Old 6th July 2013
Alpha1

Will do Brian!
Old 6th July 2013

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

The VF-4 sounds really great. I too would have considerable trouble standing up after lying on the ground. I am holding out until the bundles with the E-P5, the 17mm f1.8 and the VF-4 are in stock at Park Cameras.
Old 7th July 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

How do you find using it in a conventional posture? It's an upgrade I have considered.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 7th July 2013
Alpha1

Hello Stephen

Well the camera outfit starts to look a bit clumsy with the add-on viewfinder as the VF-4 is larger than the VF-2 or VF-3.

But apart from that it is easy to use but you do lose the 'eye start' facility as once you switch on the VF-4 the LCD blacks out and you then just get this gorgeous screen through the viewfinder. All the usual settings data, exactly as you would with the built in viewfinder are replicated on the VF-4 screen.

It comes into it's own though when swivelled up to 90 degrees and composing the image looking down (Rolleiflex style!).

It does make it more difficult to carry around if your bag is selected just to fit the OM-D though! However it's a doddle to remove via a press of the locking button, replace the connection cover and it comes complete with it's own little protection pouch.
Old 7th July 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Thanks. So optically it's a worthy upgrade? I'm not bothered about the eye switching as I have that function turned off anyway.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 7th July 2013
Alpha1

It is definitely a worthy add-on, for me and my use anyway. It also provides an improved viewing experience, especially for judging highlights etc with superior resolution. It is a noticeable improvement, particularly for manual focusing. It comes at a cost both financially and also by increasing the bulk of the camera.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ayewing (7th July 2013), Pierre L (7th July 2013), StephenL (7th July 2013), tomphotofx (7th July 2013)
Old 7th July 2013

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Thanks for the information Dave. I find it very reassuring as I rather impulsively ordered a VF4 on Friday evening before I saw this thread. My main use will be for focusing my manual Leica lenses and for macro work with my Elmar 65mm.
Old 4th August 2013
Alpha1

Small Skipper butterfly using OM-D with VF-4 and 60mm macro
Old 4th August 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I use my VF-2 flipped up about a quarter of the time : only because I CAN!
Today I was out using the old e-410 and really missed this function for one picture.