Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 4th January 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Lensmaster Gimbal

I've just taken delivery of a Lensmaster Gimbal RH1, a side mounting Gimbal head manufactured by Robert Hardy, a keen birder. He also sells a full bottom mounting Gimbal, the RH2.

In just a short while I became familiar with it's use and now can highly recommend it, and at the price of £118 with free delivery it is a bargain. The RH2 is £148.

It is very substantial but light with very smooth mechanisms which can be quickly dismantled for maintenance, and it comes complete with an Arca style clamp and two plates, so it is ready to go.

If you have a rotating lens collar then this Gimbal is the one to choose but if not then the RH2 would be the best option.

The details are on:

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk

David
Old 4th January 2013

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Lensmaster Gimbal

Looks like outstanding value at that price, very tempting!

Martin
Old 4th January 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Convinces me OK.
Old 8th January 2013

Liked 1,085 Times in 294 Posts

Hi,

Yes Lensmaster products have high quality, are well designed, nice to operate and all at a reasonable price tag.

I have been using the Lensmaster GH2 head since 2011. It adds some weight compared to the GH1 but it is more versatile and the design means that the centre of rotation is above the centre of gravity of the lens/body. This means that the setup will have a natural tendency to return to its level position. My GH2 came equipped with a Giotto quick release. Robert was kind to provide advise regarding suitable attachments for the lenses I am using and helped me in sourcing extra long plates. A long plate is a prerequisite to achieve balance if you are using lenses with a long barrel motion, for instance the Bigma, or my Skywatcher scope where the focuser extracts about 15 cm from infinity to close focus. If you are using lenses with short barrel motion then a short plate should work OK.

I am 100% satisfied and can recommend the product.

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px