Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 30th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,107 Times in 2,420 Posts
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,071 Posts
First Outing With My E-M5

Every year the tiny Essex village of Little Easton plays host to the Countess of Warwick's Country Show. It is named after Frances Maynard, a local girl born in 1861 into a well-to-do family who lived at Easton Lodge. Popularly known as Daisy, she gained her title by marriage to Lord Brooke, heir to the Earl of Warwick. She also became a socialite and had a series of indiscrete affairs with rich and powerful men, including Albert, Prince of Wales (later to become King Edward VII). Daisy was a colouful and controversial character, but was also a generous philanthropist and was popular with the public of the day. She inspired the music hall song, "Daisy, Daisy."

The show is held on the Sunday and Monday of the August Bank Holiday and my wife always has a face painting stall. This involves me being present each day to help put up and take down her gazebo and various other equipment. During the day I am free to wander around the show taking photographs and this year it was an ideal opportunity to try out my newly aquired E-M5. A selection of pictures can be found on my Zenfolio site.

I also visited the adjacent gardens of Little Easton Manor, where I took a few more pictures, again with the E-M5.

I recently had a day's experience of using an E-M5, thanks to Paul (Smartwombat) but this was my first outing with my own camera, set up fully to my own requirements, or so I thought. The new OM-D format is a joy to use and carry, with all the sze and weight advantages of a Pen but crucially also with the convenience of a built in EVF. Most of the subjects were static or slow moving, so not really a test for the AF system.

The one time I did experience a hiccup was when attempting to briskly take a series of frames in single shot drive mode with S-AF. The camera seemed to freeze momentarily between exposures, but I think this was due to me having instant review enabled. When I switched to high speed drive for the Morris MenI had no such problem, in fact I was shocked how fast 9 or 10 frames a second really is and for the subject it was pure overkill.

The moral of this is that I need to refine some of my settings for this type of event. However, it is a highly configurable and versatile camera, which by necessity makes it rather complicated, and it is bound to take me a while to optimize it for my own shooting habits. I sure that I will discover other tweeks that need to be made as my experience of using it grows.

Generally handling was exemplary even though I lack familiarity with it. The main problem, and this is down to me, not the camera, is that I seem to have adopted a lean to the right stance so I must concentrate on holding the camera level on my next shoot.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by Zuiko; 30th August 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 30th August 2012
bluraybha

Re: First Outing With My E-M5

Lovely shots Zuiko, What lens was this ?
Old 30th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,107 Times in 2,420 Posts
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluraybha View Post
Lovely shots Zuiko, What lens was this ?
All shots were taken with a Panasonic 14-45mm kit zoom. It was quite late on the first day when, to my horror, I realized I had set both IBIS on the camera and OIS on the lens. I feared that the two systems would have conflicted with each other but thankfully there doesn't appear to be any detrimental effect. I'm impressed with this lens for it's sharpness, resistance to flare, general absence of noticable CA and quality of construction. It looks and feels great (good balance) on the E-M5.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th August 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Nice, well exposed images and an interesting contrast between the B&W and colour shots of the grapes statue - the hedge detail is visible in the B&W but not in the colour even though the highlights in the latter are slightly lighter than the former. I assume the B&W conversion was done in PP?

I agree that 9 frames per second is overkill, even in wildlife photography I rarely use more than 4, still it's nice to know it's there.

On the matter of IBIS plus Mega OIS, I have found that on the occasions I have left both on with the Leica 14-150mm it does marginally affect sharpness.

David
Old 30th August 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I have also left OIS on on the 14-45 and IBIS on on my Pens (by mistake) and hardly ever had a visible problem from the theoretical clash of stabilisations : that's good eh?