Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 11th August 2012

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts
OM-D E-M5 In the Real World

Morning one and all,

Glad to be making a tentative return after so long away.

I am now seriously considering returning to the fold by buying an OM-D E-M5.
My concerns are;

(1) Autofocus, speed and accuracy.

(2) Battery life.

(3) Lenses. The 12-50 hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the photo press
but what about in the real world? I rather fancy some of the Panasonic
lenses. Any comments. My main interests are landscape and occasional
portraits.

(4) Above all though it must be image quality. Has any body made a 16"x 20"
enlargement from an OM-D E-M5?

Thanks for reading this and I hope the forum/membership as always replies with useful sound advice.
Old 11th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,107 Times in 2,420 Posts
Liked 4,372 Times in 2,070 Posts
Re: OM-D E-M5 In the Real World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
Morning one and all,

Glad to be making a tentative return after so long away.

I am now seriously considering returning to the fold by buying an OM-D E-M5.
My concerns are;

(1) Autofocus, speed and accuracy.

(2) Battery life.

(3) Lenses. The 12-50 hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the photo press
but what about in the real world? I rather fancy some of the Panasonic
lenses. Any comments. My main interests are landscape and occasional
portraits.

(4) Above all though it must be image quality. Has any body made a 16"x 20"

Thanks for reading this and I hope the forum/membership as always replies with useful sound advice.
Hi Jon,

Nice to see you here after so long. Did you not get on with the E-5?

Can't comment with much authority on the E-M5 as I haven't got one yet. My impression is that AF is good for static or slow moving subjects but still not good enough for subjects such as birds in flight.

Battery life is generally considered OK, especially if using the grip with another battery on board. Biggest problem is availability of spare batteries, although I believe that is starting to change.

Results from the 12-50mm seem much better than early reports indicated, but this is no 12-60mm! The new Panny 12-35mm seems far better. There is a large and growing choice of high quality fast primes for the system, it's zooms which are a bit lacking in the fast/high quality stakes. I have heard a rumour that Oly are planning a 12-60mm f2.8/4 but don't know how true that is.

I'm sure others will chip in with better comments than me. What system are you currently using?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th August 2012

Liked 1,325 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Has any body made a 16"x 20"
I've been running test prints up to 18"x12" so far and comparing them against the results from my 5Dmk2 + 24-105LIS.

There are slight differences in colour tones (probably similar in difference to that between an "L" lens print vs one using a Canon non-"L" equivalent") and the IQ is different to but its marginal

Detail and resolution are good and I have already had some favourable comments on these prints from potential clients at our local gallery.

My copy of the 12-50 works well in the studio producing results comparable to those from my copy of the of the canon 24-105 LIS (maybe softer in the corners though)

Its giving stellar results when used in macro mode with the FL36 flash in the hot-shoe, but that may well not be of interest to you.

Coming from a being a long term semi-pro canon user (retired but making enough to cover all my costs + some spare to buy new kit with) I have been very pleased with the results possible with the EM-5 system, so much so that I have now sold all my canon gear

Others may have different experiences of course
Old 11th August 2012

Liked 704 Times in 472 Posts

My copy of the 12-50 fringes quite badly wide open at the short end, but is otherwise pretty good. I haven't bothered to do any proper tests to see where the fringing sets in, mainly because it is so easy to correct in Photoshop or Lightroom these days.

One area where I feel micro 4/3rds still falls down is with long fast lenses. There is no micro 4/3 equivalent to the lovely big43 fast zooms and teles. You can use big43 lenses on micro43 bodies with an adapter, and optical performance should be just as good, but autofocus can be pretty hit and miss. There are sound mechanical reasons for this, it's apparently to do with the difference between phase detect and contrast detect autofocus, but the effect seems to vary from lens to lens.

Hope this helps ... John
Old 11th August 2012

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

I've been using the E-M5 since May and have now sold my EOS 50D and 24-105 F4L and 70-200 F4L lenses - because the OM-D produced comparable if not better results.
The primes are better than the zoom as you would expect - I use a 12mm f2 (excellent wide open upto f8), 45mm f1.8 - excellent and great value - and my favourite is the Leica/Panasonic 25mm f1.4 - absolutely stunning.
I have a print at 20"x30" with the 25mm at f13 and its tack sharp.
Focussing is quick and accurate for static shots - not very successful on sports/moving objects but I've not really pursued that yet.

see also brianvickersblog.blogspot.co.uk I'll send you a full size image to your email if you wish.

Old 11th August 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Th E-M5 is a superb landscape camera with fast and accurate af. From my own and others experience, battery life can be summed up as quite good if you shoot a lot of images in one session, but less so if you do "stop and start" photography. I've made quite a few large prints. It best suits prime lenses - the 12mm, 25mm, 45mm and 75mm, but I understand the Panny 12-35 is also superb.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site