Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-520

Olympus E-520 E-520 specific discussion.

Old 27th June 2008
dennisg

Question Wrte and Read speed for compact cards used in the new E520?

I have reviewed all of the available stats on the new E520. Does anyone know what the write and read speeds are on this new body? I have several cards that I use with my E500 and I plan to purchase the E520 here in the States when it becomes availbale here in August. But before buying faster cards, what is the top speed for this body? Makes no sense to buy faster cards that the camera cannot deliver on.

Thanks!
Old 27th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,218 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: Wrte and Read speed for compact cards used in the new E520?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisg View Post
I have reviewed all of the available stats on the new E520. Does anyone know what the write and read speeds are on this new body? I have several cards that I use with my E500 and I plan to purchase the E520 here in the States when it becomes availbale here in August. But before buying faster cards, what is the top speed for this body? Makes no sense to buy faster cards that the camera cannot deliver on.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure there is nothing special about the E-520's card interface, so your best bet is 133x cards (SanDisk Extreme III, for example). Out of the current Olympus range, only the E-3 has a UDMA card interface that can take advantage of 266x and 300x cards.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 27th June 2008
dennisg

Thumbs up Re: Wrte and Read speed for compact cards used in the new E520?

Now that's great service! Thanks for info.

Oh by the way, I have shot some equatation events and used just the RAW format, and YES there is a big difference. So more thanks to all who have pointed me in the right direction!

DG
Old 27th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Wrte and Read speed for compact cards used in the new E520?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisg View Post
Now that's great service! Thanks for info.

Oh by the way, I have shot some equatation events and used just the RAW format, and YES there is a big difference. So more thanks to all who have pointed me in the right direction!

DG
Using a Sandisk Extreme III and RAW on an E-520.

Once the buffer is full (~9 shots) I am getting about a shot every 1-1.5 seconds

HTH

Roy
Old 27th June 2008
dennisg

Thumbs up Re: Wrte and Read speed for compact cards used in the new E520?

Thanks for the information. Looks like I may have to get a faster compact card. Not an issue. Prices for these cards have come down significantly, thus not a drain on the pocketbook.

DG