Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 13th July 2012

Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts
OMD-EM5 'in the flesh'

Yes, I know I must be the last person frequenting this user group to have held an OMD, but I popped into Jessops (Oxford) today an lo and behold they had a demo on the shelf. It feels like a 'proper' camera and I was delighted to find that the dioptre adjustment on the viewfinder is sufficiently wide to accommodate my tired old eyes. Even with glasses on I was able to see the whole of the viewfinder without trouble. As others have reported, a satisfying shutter sound, though lower in frequency than I had expected. Not so keen on the LCD arrangement to be honest, and I think I'd need to use at least a stage 1 grip. The assistant said that there'd be a one month wait if I ordered one.

So my return to Oly is a distinct possibility; just have to wait and see what Photokina brings and whether the 12-60 rumour has any basis.

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
Old 13th July 2012

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts
Re: OMD-EM5 'in the flesh'

Yup, bring on the 12-60mm and my life will be complete..... until the next great (read: very expensive) thing comes along that I know I really need!
Old 14th July 2012

Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts

A 12-60 would be great, if it is up to the quality of my 4/3 12-60. But then, the Panny 12-35 is very good too, and hopefully also, the 35-100. In the words of Harry Hill, FIGHT! Oh dear, I fear I shall be in a right ol' dilemma if a 12-60 is announced, 'cos the finances won't stretch to both, even if that was a sensible move.

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
Old 14th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ah Oxford
The computer said they had stock, so I ordered one online.
Only to discover they has 1 in store but a stock of 0.
They keep the demo on the shelf and won't sell it, so they can demo it and take orders.
But the computer doesn't know that and it tries to sell it!

I had to go all the way down to Brighton to find one in stock so I had a second body for Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The 12-50 is a good kit lens, and the extra width over the 14-150, and its overlap with the 45-200 means it fits in well with my Panasonic lens collection.

I'm not sure pushing the design to 12-60 will give as good quality, usually a wider zoom range means something is compromised.