Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL2

Olympus Pen E-PL2 The first Olympus Pen to be Pen Pal accessory compatible.

Old 5th January 2012

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
EPL2 vs E620

I have recently acquired an EPL2 with 14-42mm and have been playing about with it. I have been massively impressed by the image quality and find that the jpeg IQ is much better than my E620 - sharper and much better noise control.

I am interested to know if others have found the same significant improvement?

I assume this is down to the weaker AA filter and updated image processing - in which case I can feel an E5 looming!

The attached is of sunrise yesterday taken with the Pen at ISO 1000, straight ooc. I know it doesn't show detail, but it was the noise control that impressed me.

Martin

Old 6th January 2012

Liked 867 Times in 308 Posts
Re: EPL2 vs E620

If you like the Jpeg output from the E-PL2 you will like the E-5.
It's a fantastic little camera, I just want get some better glass for it, I know I could strap on my 4/3rds glass but I'm really warming to these new fast minimalist Oly primes (12 and 45mm), I already have the lovely Panny 20 which works very well with it.
Oh and the VF-2 is a must IMHO.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 6th January 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: EPL2 vs E620

I find the high-ISO noise control in Jpegs is much improved even in the first e-P1, however when taken as a whole the image quality in terms of 'niceness' is almost identical.
I don't see much Jpeg sharpness difference if settings are carefully controlled : in tests which showed marked differences between Olympus bodies using the 12mp sensor the sharpness differences all ended up being simple mistakes in settings.
Only the e-pL1 had a smidgen more real sharpness able to be squeezed out from RAW files.
( Not exhaustive tests, just concerning e-600, e-620, E-30, e-P1, e-pL1.)