Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 18th August 2011
abacus180

Canon D70 Body

I had a play with one of these in Jessops today. Seemed V good and the salesman was singing its praise due to the size of the sensor, the quality of the image and its speed among other things compared with the Oly E5.
Is he right?
Graham
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Canon D70 Body

Do you mean a Canon 7D?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus180 View Post
I had a play with one of these in Jessops today. Seemed V good and the salesman was singing its praise due to the size of the sensor, the quality of the image and its speed among other things compared with the Oly E5.
Is he right?
Graham
No....IMHO
Old 18th August 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,397 Times in 2,086 Posts

Probably quite evenly matched. It could be a better or worse camera compared to the E-5 according to your personal preferences and requirements. Did the salesman have an E-5 to offer? If not, he would say the Canon was better, wouldn't he?

My preference would be for the E-5, but that's just me.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th August 2011
abacus180

Re: Canon EOS 7D Body

sorry a mistake, this is the one
Old 18th August 2011
Administrator

Re: Canon EOS 7D Body

Quote:
sorry a mistake, this is the one
I assumed it was, unless Canon had updated the 60D with unprecidented haste!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 1,310 Times in 792 Posts

Of course he's right, a salesman wouldn't lie to you just to (possibly) make a sale.

And most camera salespeople are experienced, expert, award winning photographers just working in the shop between National Geographic assignments.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 19th August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
And most camera salespeople are experienced, expert, award winning photographers just working in the shop between National Geographic assignments.
You've noticed that too then David?

Old 19th August 2011

Liked 1,310 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
You've noticed that too then David?
I think we've both been around long enough to have noticed it years (possibly decades) ago.

I've also noticed that the ideal equipment is always in stock and anything not in stock is a piece of crap not worth considering.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 19th August 2011

Liked 1,559 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Is he right?
Graham
There was someone on a forum (this one?) that got rid of a 7D in favour of an Olympus (E5?). I've also seen 7D owners on a wildlife forum struggling with them and keep going back to their 50Ds which they're relieved they'd kept

Jim
Old 19th August 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts

I'm not entirely sure what the point is here? The 7D is a fine camera and Canon users swear by it. Now, this is an Olympus site, so unless we're talking specifics, I don't really understand why Graham has posted this? So Graham - I think you need to be more specific in your question.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well......I had an Oly E-510 and now have a Canon 7d - Though I havent used/handled an E5

The 7d is an excellent camera. The high speed shooting is fantastic for capturing high speed military jets (which is a bit of a hobby of mine) also the focus tracking, when coupled with my 300m f4 L series lens makes life so much easier.

Would I swap it for an E-5?

Probably! I've seen results of what the E5 is capable of and I cant say that the 7d is any better. Sure in the right hands the results of just about any camera are fantastic.

One thing I will say for the 7d Vs E5 debate is this.........

Do not get drawn into the old 'Canons are better at handling noise' debate. In my experience they're not. With my 7d when I am shooting aircraft I limit myself to iso 400 (though I prefer not to go above 200) I have shot up to iso 1600 in the past with disappointing results.

Yes the images are perfectly 'useable' at iso1600 - though what's defined as 'useable' is very much subjective.

Personally I like detail - when I shot an F-15 low level in Wales I left the 7d on 'Auto ISO' as it was getting towards the end of the day and the light was fading, in order to keep the shutter speed up my camera selected ISO 1000. The picture itself is fine, though I would have prefered to crop closer to the cockpit however I can due to the loss of detail and noise.

Now as with many things I'm sure things have improved as I have gotten used to the camera and my technique has got better. But the same can be said with just about any camera system.

Many weeks ago I posted the reasoning behind me going from Oly to Canon - in a nutshell it was due to the uncertainty of Olympus in the DSLR market and for the immediate future the PEN series just dont do the things I need them to.

It had NOTHING to do with the quality of Oly gear - in fact the two things I miss the most are the 12-60mm SWD and 50-200mm SWD. They were by far and away my 2 favourite lenses, and still are!

It annoys me that people trust the opinion of sales staff - they're their to make a sale. (ok thats a bit sweeping, I know some sales people out there will give good sound advice even if it means missing out on a sale)
At the same time this is an Oly forum so things are going to be slanted towards Olympus.

So, in a nutshell - a camera is a camera. Get out and take pictures!!

Oh and if you're looking to buy a new one - the way one feels in your hand, which is comfortable is probably more important that the brand on the front.

But bear in mind the colour from an Oly (even my old E-510) is hard to beat!

ATB

Neil
The Following User Says Thank You to roadkill_6mm For This Useful Post:
Greytop (20th August 2011)
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 870 Times in 308 Posts

Excellent post Neil, good to hear a balanced view from a 7D user rather than seller

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 1,559 Times in 1,000 Posts

What clinches Olympus for me is the quality of the lenses. At least 99% of image quality is determined by the lens - all the light for the image _has_ to pass through the lens. The camera body is just an accessory to the lens.

When I used film SLRs I used to fret about lens quality - it was so variable. The Konika I had had a good standard 50mm lens, whereas the 50mm Tessar I had on an Exakta was poor. Enlarger optics were also variable in quality.

Now I use Olympus I no longer fret about lens quality. I know that the standard quality lenses are excellent, the 'Pro' quality superb and the 'Top Pro' quality unequalled.

If I went down the road of choosing another camera make, I'd be back to worrying about lens quality and being faced with a range varying from 'bottle bottom' to 'near Olympus'. I've seen really horrible results from good camera bodies, fitted with a notoriously poor 'kit' lens. I don't want to go there!

Jim
Old 20th August 2011

Liked 870 Times in 308 Posts

Spot on post Jim, lens quality is exactly the reason I'm still using Oly 4/3rds.
I too have experienced variable quality/performance of optics elsewhere and hence feel comfortable with Olympus optics if a little unnerved about the future (of 4/3rds).

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr