Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 7th April 2011

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts
E5 Review in 'Photo Professional'

Got home this evening to find my copy of Photo Professional waiting on the doormat.
On page 86 Damien McGillicuddy reviews sub 1200 DSLR's suitable for the pro semi pro market.

Usual reviews comparingPentax K5 Nikon D7000 Nikon D300s & the Canon 7D.
of which the Canon cones out top. OK
But on page 91 there is a half page sub article entitled 'The Olympus E-5 another entry level pro DSLR contender to consider.....'

I started reading expecting a fairly critical and unfavourable review. Far from it. Far from it indeed.

I can't really be bothered to type out the whole article but here are one or two extracts.
"As an example, the images give as much detail as my Nikon D3x, and that's saying something."

"...- skin tones are amazing, and in terms of colour and WB accuracy I've had no issues."

"in short, this will make my business easier as it works more like a film camera in that you don't have to strip away levels of IT to use it. It's a machine built to take an image and I won't be giving it back!

No remember Damien McGillicuddy is a working pro who depends on his kit to earn his living.

Nuff said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seonnaidh For This Useful Post:
Greytop (8th April 2011)
Old 7th April 2011
JackBenedict

Re: E5 Review in 'Photo Professional'

can't wait for it to drop sub 1K price !
Old 7th April 2011

Liked 337 Times in 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
Got home this evening to find my copy of Photo Professional waiting on the doormat.
On page 86 Damien McGillicuddy reviews sub 1200 DSLR's suitable for the pro semi pro market.

Usual reviews comparingPentax K5 Nikon D7000 Nikon D300s & the Canon 7D.
of which the Canon cones out top. OK
But on page 91 there is a half page sub article entitled 'The Olympus E-5 another entry level pro DSLR contender to consider.....'

I started reading expecting a fairly critical and unfavourable review. Far from it. Far from it indeed.

I can't really be bothered to type out the whole article but here are one or two extracts.
"As an example, the images give as much detail as my Nikon D3x, and that's saying something."

"...- skin tones are amazing, and in terms of colour and WB accuracy I've had no issues."

"in short, this will make my business easier as it works more like a film camera in that you don't have to strip away levels of IT to use it. It's a machine built to take an image and I won't be giving it back!

No remember Damien McGillicuddy is a working pro who depends on his kit to earn his living.

Nuff said.
He was the guy at Focus on the Bright Publishing stand. Very pro E-5!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 8th April 2011

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Oh dear I feel another photo mag subscription looming
I ordered Photography Monthly after I read that it contained a favourable review of the E5 by pro-shooter, Steve Pope. He too was very very impressed.
I really love it when folk who sucessfully take photos for a living write reviews that completely contradict the "expert" bashers. The same bashers who would only know they had come into contact with an E5 if they were hit with one!
In this same mag the Pentax K5 received a review entitled "Well done or overcooked?" which concluded in a nutshell that it was not user-friendly.
Has the E5 suddenly drawn the focus away from its mainstream rivals?

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!