Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 30th March 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help - Recommend Repair Please

Hi all,

Dropped my E620 a couple of months ago (s**t happens). Thought everything was ok as been taking pictures without any problem since. Noticed today though that the hotshoe metal fixing has been dented to the point that I cannot remove the plastic slip on cover (completley jammed). I need to get it repaired. I live in the Leicester / Coventry area (Hinckley)- any suggestions?

Hope someone can help.

LSQ
Old 30th March 2011

Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,003 Posts
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,063 Posts
Re: Help - Recommend Repair Please

For myself, I would sacrifice the cover if I couldn't bend up the rail before hand & after removing it, gently lever up the rail with a flat bladed screw driver & some protection layer (cardboard) against the contact plate, being very careful not to fracture the metal of the rail until it was back to shape. If that that sort of work is not what you're comfortable with, then don't do it, but seek more experienced help.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 31st March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,397 Times in 2,086 Posts

Hi Suzy,

It's taken you a couple of months to realize this so you obviously don't use the hot shoe very often (I, too, rarely use flash). Do you now need to use flash, or is it just a cosmetic concern? On the bright side, you're one of the few people who haven't lost that fiddly little cover which normally fits too loose!

If you need it, either (CAREFULLY) try Ross's solution or contact Olympus Service for advice. Alternatively, try googling camera repairers in your locality.

Good luck.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 31st March 2011

Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,003 Posts
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,063 Posts

On rethinking, I would probably use a duck bill or flat nose pliers to raise the bent rail. It would be safer than levering it up with the screw driver.

Hope you have it solved OK without much expense.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 31st March 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks guys, I don't use flash at the moment but I would like the option in the future and have been a little frustrated (not hugely) when taking pictures indoors.

I'll try to lever it out - even if I make a mess of it - I'm in no worse a situation in terms of sending it away or taking for repair.