Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 16th February 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
E5 and the Dramatic Tone filter

I've never been impressed with in camera jpeg filters, always preferring to shoot in raw alone. However after getting an E5 I was intrigued in what the "Dramatic Tone" filter could do. So on a very short trip to Malta I decided to have go at a variety of subjects. The results were mainly very disappointing, "dramatic" yes, but not very impressive. The results include a scary increase in contrast with an effect similar to the "blacks" slider in ACR. The other main effect is extreme variations in areas of even tone with skies being the most obvious victim. Clouds are enhanced to an unrealistic degree but leave halos around bulidings etc. and clear even skies are worse affected. Where the filter may have some use is in areas of fairly complex detail when the results can be pleasingly artistic.

This shot demonstrates the hideous effect on even-toned skies. Taken with 9-18mm @ 9mm. The wider the angle the worse the artifact:

These four shots are of detailed subjects and demonstrate the positive uses of the filter, all taken with Leica 14-150mm:

I would be interested in other's comments and experiences of this filter.

Regards

David
Old 16th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: E5 and the Dramatic Tone filter

The harbour shot looks ruined to me and some of the others look over processed.

I think I'll stick to Raw unless there's a time when I don't want to be able to predict what results I will get. On that subject why not put a random filter option on the camera for pot luck results and make the E-5 hook up to Facebook and Twitter.

Surely "on camera" effects are designed for light users who print direct from their camera or pop along to boots with their SD card?

I'm not being disparaging but I knew from reading the pre-release PR that I would not use the art filters unless I was using the video and I don't believe I'll be using the video mode too often anyway.

Thankfully all these add ons are just firmware and haven't added any more weight.

I was at the Mercedes F1 engine plant yesterday (no cameras allowed ) and the McLaren didn't have reversing sensors or an iPod docking station. An extreme example but I guess you know what I mean.

Hope you had a couple of at the harbour David. I like the composition on the street sign and fossilised? window.
Old 16th February 2011
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I think the DT filter would be awesome for derelict stuff
Old 16th February 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
I think the DT filter would be awesome for derelict stuff
Indeed it is but it has got a major flaw as David has pointed out, it ruins skies. That said I love it and what it can do with fine details, it then becomes very clever and I cant duplicate the effect myself, so im a fan but wont use it on Skies anymore

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 16th February 2011

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I've not used it that much, but here are a few that I like.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010067.jpg (97.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1010074.jpg (98.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 17th February 2011

Hey wpj, it looks like it has worked better with your skies, maybe if theres a good cloud coverage it will work better

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 17th February 2011

Yes I have had less problems with cloudy skies but still the risk of halos around buildings/trees etc. A point to note is that it is never a wasted shot using Art filters because if the record mode is set to raw before selecting a filter the camera will produce the filtered jpeg and a raw file. Wouldn't it be nice if Olympus could develope Art filters as an adjustable plugin to Master or Viewer 2 then all Oly users could get the chance to play. I am sure it would be possible but would they listen?

David
Old 17th February 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Yes I have had less problems with cloudy skies but still the risk of halos around buildings/trees etc. A point to note is that it is never a wasted shot using Art filters because if the record mode is set to raw before selecting a filter the camera will produce the filtered jpeg and a raw file. Wouldn't it be nice if Olympus could develope Art filters as an adjustable plugin to Master or Viewer 2 then all Oly users could get the chance to play. I am sure it would be possible but would they listen?

David
Olympus studio could apply the filters afterward, but i haven't tried it with the e5, has anyone else given it a go ?

Old 17th February 2011

I'd like to see some results using Studio 2 but as I am happy with PSE9 I doubt if I'd be prepared to fork out 200+ just for the ability to apply these filters in pp. However the fact that these are available in Studio 2 should mean that it could be a reasonable move to offer them as a plugin for the free software packages. I'll email Olympus and ask the question.

David
Old 17th February 2011
Makonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Olympus studio could apply the filters afterward, but i haven't tried it with the e5, has anyone else given it a go ?
Yes, as the filter is applied to the RAW to produce a jpeg you can simply take your RAWS and experimehnt with the DT or any other filter later in Viewer.

I find all the filters are a bit 'heavy' and my main beef with them is that there is no realy way to adjust the effect.

I find as do others that the DT filter can be interesting but only with a small proportion of shots. I have been able to 'tone down' its effects in post by blending with a regular development from the RAW. But once you are doing that much work, it is just as easy, and gives more graduated and better results, if you manipulate your image in Photomatix/Photoshop to get a similar but more subtle effect.
DT filter:

Manual processing from plain RAW:
Old 17th February 2011
Makonde

see also http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...light=dramatic
Old 17th February 2011

Thanked 1,270 Times in 998 Posts
Liked 1,880 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:

David
I can play with any RAW file from an E5 anytime I want in Olympus Viewer 2 & see the results of the filters but it would be nice if it was an adjustable application & open for others to use on other photos. I think considering how it is applied in the E5 (as opposed to the other models) it makes it more customisable with the other settings, but as any art filter, it shouldn't be used on just any photo, but subject material that suits it. So, as you were saying, saving everything in JPEG & RAW, you have the best of both worlds & can add or remove that filter later (in Oly Viewer or in camera) if it takes your fancy or just to see what it looks like.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 17th February 2011

Thanked 1,270 Times in 998 Posts
Liked 1,880 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Any model camera that has filters can have their respective filters selected in RAW edit in Oly Viewer 2 but only the filters applicable to that model & yes, I've downloaded a couple of RAW E5 files just to have a play with them.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
stevednp3 (17th February 2011)
Old 17th February 2011

Quote:
I'd like to see some results using Studio 2 but as I am happy with PSE9 I doubt if I'd be prepared to fork out 200+ just for the ability to apply these filters in pp. However the fact that these are available in Studio 2 should mean that it could be a reasonable move to offer them as a plugin for the free software packages. I'll email Olympus and ask the question.

David
Good idea, let us know how you get on