Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 30th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

E5 and unsharp photos

I'm experiencing an issue it seems with my E5 where sometimes the photos aren't sharp, it's like they are very slightly misfocussed but when I look through the photo from the foreground to infinity nothing is sharp when this occurs, it's all unsharp by the same degree right through the photo, so possible camera shake except some of the affected photos have been shot wide angle at 1/250 sec so no chance of camera shake. It's mostly when shooting vertically it seems but not exclusively, I'm beginning to suspect the IS is not only not "ISing" when this occurs but actually causing the issue by blurring the photo rather than preventing it.
Has anyone else experienced this?
My next thing is to just turn IS off and see if the problem ceases. I never had this with the E3.

Paul
Old 30th January 2011
jonsey

Re: E5 and unsharp photos

Paul,
im getting this with my E30, i still dont get those pin sharp pics that i should, i saw some shots that stevenp3 posted yesterday and they run rings round mine, same set up...E30 + 50-200... iv tried everything..its even been to oly for repair and `calibrated`.

jeff
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I certainly have had problems with focus on my E5 + 300mm. It is when trying to photograph small birds. Ocasionally it just won't focus on the bird even though the focus confirm lights and beeps. I could understand when it is a small bird in a thick hedge but when it is in the open it doesn't make sense. I can even see the lack of focus through the viewfinder. Centre weighted, spot or small spot all have shown this problem. I have never had any of these problems with my E30 AND 300mm or with the E5 and any other lens. Most of the time it works OK but it is with the bird I may only get one shot at that annoys. Most times it happens is with hand held or monopod, so IS1 is used, but maybe this is the problem.

David
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 685 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
I certainly have had problems with focus on my E5 + 300mm. It is when trying to photograph small birds. Ocasionally it just won't focus on the bird even though the focus confirm lights and beeps. I could understand when it is a small bird in a thick hedge but when it is in the open it doesn't make sense. I can even see the lack of focus through the viewfinder. Centre weighted, spot or small spot all have shown this problem. I have never had any of these problems with my E30 AND 300mm or with the E5 and any other lens. Most of the time it works OK but it is with the bird I may only get one shot at that annoys. Most times it happens is with hand held or monopod, so IS1 is used, but maybe this is the problem.

David
Pleased I looked in before going out.

I am suffering in a similar way and will alter the IS to IS3 setting today to see if it improves.
The four shots I posted here in my thread Bbgrr were from a batch of over 150 taken - of those perhaps 40+ were as described.
An email suggesting a tweak to Olympus might solve the problem.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes Paul, I have the same experience on my E-5.

It occurred with me in combination with my 12-60 lens, the E-5 would not focus properly and I got some unsharp pictures. Switching the camera off and on did not help but somehow it magically disappeared again.

I have no idea what triggers it. It could be the IS but it could also be the ambient temperature, I am not sure.

I do hope that there will be a firmware update soon that corrects this problem. It annoys me heavily.
Old 30th January 2011
Senior

Liked 135 Times in 52 Posts

I went out with my new E-5 for the first time yesterday, and was occasionally getting the same problem as David Morison - focus confirm light and bleep, but way off focus and will stick in that position until I focus on another object, then back to the original.

Visit my website http://dryplaid.zenfolio.com/

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaw For This Useful Post:
yorky (30th January 2011)
Old 30th January 2011

Ambient temperature could be a common factor for me. Most of my shots with the E30 have been at reasonable temperature but nearly all my E5 shots have been at freezing or below. I am going out this morning, around freezing, and will try out the E30 to see if the same thing happens. I'll let you know.

David
Old 30th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

Here's an example taken yesterday to demonstrate.

This is a crop of the photo below, see how nothing is sharp, I don't think it's a focus issue as it's like this right through the photo and if the lens was misfocussing then something somewhere in the shot would be sharp, but nothing is and it's all blurred by the same degree. The shot was taken at 1/60 @ 14mm focal length with IS on so camera shake shouldn't have been as issue. It was very cold too. I'm suspecting the IS is causing this.

These are unprocessed RAW shots.

Paul

Here's the complete scene.

Old 30th January 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,107 Times in 2,420 Posts
Liked 4,372 Times in 2,070 Posts

Guys, this is a new camera and there may well be a glitch if so many of you are experiencing it. I suggest you all contact Olympus as a group, referencing this thread. They need to know, might be a firmware update needed, and it's in their interests as well as yours. It certainly needs to be reported and investigated.

Besides, I need this glitch to be sorted before I can afford one!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th January 2011

Thanked 1,095 Times in 686 Posts
Liked 1,436 Times in 720 Posts

^ Like wot 'e said. Just wondering... as one post hinted at using a mono-pod? I'm sure I've read somewhere, that when on tri-pod etc., to switch IS to OFF and, if the situation allows, to use the timer delay. Leaving IS on can cause problems such as those described.

Apologies is teaching my granny to suck eggs.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 30th January 2011

Yes it's important to switch IS off when using a tripod but a monopod is different as there is still quite a lot of movement. Anyhow my problems have occured when handheld as well and haven't occured with the E30 on a monopod.

David
Old 30th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

OK I went out today and took loads of identical hand held shots with IS on and IS off and the conclusion is pretty substantial, my camera tends to blur portrait orientated shots with IS on and is fine with it off. It doesn't occur everytime but fairly often.
Here's one example below.

This shot IS off..

This one IS on... Yes it looks misfocussed but it's not, this is a problem with IS in portrait orientation.

Old 30th January 2011

Liked 156 Times in 105 Posts

Paul, why not have a word with Oly on Monday & offer to post them a CD/DVD of good and duff images.
I'm sure they will be able to get more out of the exif that we ever could.
That way, at lest you will still have the camera whilst they are having a ponder.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts

I noticed this happens occasionally as well, never quite out of focus but not spot on at times. Yesterday I was using the 35mm macro, in the end I started manually focusing which was o.k but it doesn't seem to be a consistant fault.
Old 30th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

It's not a focus issue, the camera and lenses focus fine, especially now I've calibrated any lenses I suspected to be OOF, it's something to do with the Image Stabilisation predominately when shooting with the camera in portrait orientation, with it off the images are sharp and clear, with it on they have a degree of blur which seems to vary from barely perceptible to rendering an image unusable.
I'll just shoot with IS off for the time being, I'm just glad I've finally found out why my images were sometimes soft, it was very frustrating.

Paul