Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 22nd December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Forest / South Coast early 2011

Would anybody be interested in a get-together early 2011?

Perhaps a winter stroll in the New Forest before or after a pub lunch - perhaps at either Fritham, Beaulieu, Brockenhurst or Lyndhurst. (There's a good pub at Fritham, another near Brockenhurst, both with easy access to decent walks.)

Or maybe a coastal walk at Keyhaven/Pennington/Farlington Marshes to catch pictures of winter visitors before they fly away?
Old 22nd December 2010

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
Re: New Forest / South Coast early 2011

Good idea Ellie If you can avoid Wednesday or Thursday that would be helpful.

Flickr
Old 23rd December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No problems, that leaves five days to choose from, but in reality it's likely to be at the weekend.

Do you have any 'favourite' places we could add to the list of options?
Old 23rd December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ellie,

I'm up for Fritham and/or especially Keyhaven. Any day or time.

Regards

Mick
Old 23rd December 2010

Fritham is a good venue for the forest, Royal Oak with Eyeworth Pond only a few hundred yards up the road. I would counsel against Beaulieu. Attractive as it is the High Street is always full of unphotogenic cars and the Montagu Arms, although with a nice restaurant and brasserie is not the place for a 'pub lunch' in my view.

What about Lymington? Could park in the road near the Yacht Haven with the Mayflower as possible lunch venue. Choice then of the river or the sea wall. Or nearby Lower Pennington, The Chequers SZ322937.

Acres Down - car park at SU268097 chance of a goshawk sighting. Pub at Emery Down?

Flickr
Old 1st January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickL View Post
I'm up for Fritham and/or especially Keyhaven. Any day or time.
That's good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Fritham is a good venue for the forest, Royal Oak with Eyeworth Pond only a few hundred yards up the road. I would counsel against Beaulieu.
Yes, it's a good venue, friendly pub for lunch too.
Quote:
Attractive as it is the High Street is always full of unphotogenic cars and the Montagu Arms, although with a nice restaurant and brasserie is not the place for a 'pub lunch' in my view.
I was thinking more of meeting up at Hatchett Pond, where there are toilets in the car park, then walking down Furzey Lane, over the brook and up the hill then off to the left through where there used to be a timber yard and then maybe over the road to the airfield and across the heath back to the Pond. It's only a couple of hours easy walking on gravelled tracks/paths, and lots of variety of habitats/things to see.
Quote:
What about Lymington? Could park in the road near the Yacht Haven with the Mayflower as possible lunch venue. Choice then of the river or the sea wall. Or nearby Lower Pennington, The Chequers SZ322937.
Good idea, yes. Maybe easier to park in the Yacht Haven itself, there's direct access onto the sea wall from thecar park near The Haven (bar/restaurant ... which is open from 08:00 each day, even if all you want is a cup of coffee. Lovely views across the river from the balcony.).

The Keyhaven end offers the choice of the sea wall and a circular walk inland along the old road back to Keyhaven as well as a stroll along the foreshore to Hurst Spit or a ferry across to the castle.
Quote:
Acres Down - car park at SU268097 chance of a goshawk sighting. Pub at Emery Down?
I don't know that area at all, would you be thinking of this sort of thing? Acres Down Walk

Hmm, there's a lot of choice isn't there, probably end up with a vote of some sort, or more than one 'event'.
Old 2nd January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I don't know that area at all, would you be thinking of this sort of thing? Acres Down Walk

Hmm, there's a lot of choice isn't there, probably end up with a vote of some sort, or more than one 'event'.
That's the place. But I could live with any of the suggestions.

Flickr
Old 18th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay.

Short notice, I know, but would anybody like to meet at the Royal Oak in Fritham at about 11:00, next Sunday, 23rd January?

It's short notice because I didn't think it worth arranging something that had to be cancelled because of snow/rain/tempest, so I've been checking the 10-day weather forecasts. Next Sunday seems good, mainly because they reckon it won't rain and it won't be too windy.
http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Lyndhurst-UKXX1311

The pub opens at 11:00, which means we can get a table and enjoy one of their truly tasty lunches ... They've won Good pub guide awards, offer a good range of wonderful beers, excellent ciders and nice coffee as well as delicious home-made soup and rolls! The staff are brilliant too.

The website says "... Children welcome if well behaved ...".

The last time we had a forum get-together there it rained, a lot, but it was good and cosy indoors while we waited for it to pass!

I'll point those of you needing directions to Davidsa's advice from last time Here

The pub is beneath the + on this aerial view. Car parking is outside the pub, or just over the road in a Forestry Commission car park which is hidden from view by the trees. (There's also another car park about a quarter of a mile NW, by the lake you can see.)

There's a suggested walking route here, which we've done. It doesn't take 2 1/2 hours, not even if you stop regularly to take pictures.

All the paths are easy walking, and are suitable for bikes if you want to bring your children along. There are some slopes, but they aren't too bad. The route suggested ensures a varied selection of habitats - deciduous, conifer and heathland. There's a good chance of seeing some ponies and a fair chance of seeing some deer, even though they might be in the distance. There's a good selection of waterfowl on Eyeworth Pond.

A different route is suggested here. It would be easy to amend the route by starting at the pub (point 4) and cutting out the wet area to the east of the pond.

The final decision as to the route could be taken on the day, but I'd guess that sturdy footwear would be advisable/comfiest.

If you prefer not to have anything to eat/drink then arriving just before / at about midday would be good. The pub has an outside toilet block which is open to non-customers, and they serve soft drinks etc too. There are loads of picnic tables outside where I'm sure they wouldn't mind anybody sitting down to eat a sandwich.

Hopefully some of you will be able to make it. There is likely to be at least one non-photographer there, especially if our garden hasn't dried out.

It's be good to know who might be there, including the forum lurkers who don't post very often or who no longer use Olys, so could you let me know by either adding a comment to this thread, via in-forum personal message, by phoning/texting my mobile 07941 906187 or even via facebook
Old 18th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shameless bump - because the site's so busy lately this'll get buried!
Old 20th January 2011
davidsa

Smile Re: New Forest / South Coast early 2011

Still no takers?

Come on folks! The weather forecast isn't too bad and the winter light is often very attractive. Anyway there is the excellent Royal Oak to retreat into:

Take courage!!
Old 20th January 2011

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Ellie

I would have loved to get down to the New Forest, although it is a bit of trek from Essex, but unfortunately I've got other commitments this weekend.

Simon
Old 20th January 2011

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Ellie

Was unsure of my whereabouts this weekend so didn't say anything but it looks like I am free on Sunday. Will probably come down with my wife Sue

Will confirm on Saturday, but lets look forward to some good weather and a good day out

Cheers

Dave
Old 20th January 2011

Hi Ellie

Sorry not to have responded sooner. Have been rather incommunicado these last couple of days.

Hope my wife and I will be there Sunday. Will PM you tomorrow with mobile number etc.

Flickr
Old 21st January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brilliant

Look forward to seeing you all again on Sunday ... and anybody else who just feels like turning up on the day.

Those who can't make it this time - don't worry, there'll be another one soon.
Old 21st January 2011

Liked 706 Times in 474 Posts

I would like to have joined you , but it's turned into a very busy few days. How on earth did I ever find time to go to work?

Hopefully next time. All the best for an enjoyable and successful day.

Ciao ... John