Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 15th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E5 for sports?

Hi,

Has anyone who owns an E5 shot any sports with it yet, primarily in lower light situations. I shot an Equestrian event last Sunday with the E3, and some of it was indoors, and by 3pm the light wasnt great and I was far from happy with the results I was getting - despite still selling a few of them. I ended up shooting at ISO 2000+!

What I want to see/know, is this: does the E5 perform considerably better in lower light situations for sports, and does anyone have any samples they can show? Primarily interested in AF performance and noise performance.

Thanks in advance

Kelvin
Old 15th December 2010

Liked 708 Times in 475 Posts
Re: E5 for sports?

Haven't had a chance to try it yet. My main thing is rugby - and since the E-5 arrived the week before last, all games here have been cancelled due to frozen pitches. Pity as the second half on a gloomy December afternoon is a pretty stern test.

It's thawed a bit so I had hopes of getting to a game this coming Saturday, but the forecast makes it look unlikely

Ciao ... John
Old 15th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi John,

I'd be really intersted to see some of your Rugby pics with the E5 when the weather allows....

I would also be interested to see a shot taken with the Dramatic Tone filter and hear how the camera performs using it - will it do consecutive shooting in this mode, or will it take 'an age' to process each picture.

Hears hoping for a good weekend to allow for some sports pictures

cheers

Kelvin
Old 15th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The E-5 does a considerable better job on high ISO than the E-3, is my opinion.

I did not test it in a sports event, but did some low-light / high speed shooting yesterday evening and it was definitely better than my E-3
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogcow For This Useful Post:
kelvinator (16th December 2010)
Old 15th December 2010
Radar

Haven't tested the high-ISO sports but hoping to get the chance (if Olympus can spare one or Ian have them for rent) during the Gymnastics World Cup in Glasgow. But that's not until April

Not buying the E-5 yet. Want to try it first.