Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 23rd November 2007
dlinney

Red face EC-20 2.0x teleconvertor

I have a brief play with the new EC-20 on my E-3.

Initial impressions are:

On 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD it focuses well (even at the long end which is getting quite dark since its effectively f8.0). Image quality is very good even wide open.

On the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f1.4 it focuses very well (and of course its then effectively a 50mm f2.8 [100mm equivalent on 35mm]). Image quality is very good even wide open.

On the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 it is slow at focussing at the short end and very poor at the long end. This was in not particularly good light so I will need to experiment to determine conditions where it is useful and those where it doesn't really stack up. WHEN I did get focus the quality was good wide open; didn't have time to check with it stopped down a little.

So I have mixed feelings about it. It's obviously very handy as an emergency need more length on the "standard" zoom.

It should be a good multiplier for macro shots - but will need to test this out.

I will be interested to see if it works better on the new 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD when that is released.

At the moment I suspect it won't be very useable on the "old" 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 except in good light.

Will post more when I have had time to play some more; I've been too busy trying to find my way around the 227 different settings on the E-3!
Old 23rd November 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,218 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: EC-20 2.0x teleconvertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinney View Post
I have a brief play with the new EC-20 on my E-3.

Initial impressions are:

On 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD it focuses well (even at the long end which is getting quite dark since its effectively f8.0). Image quality is very good even wide open.

On the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f1.4 it focuses very well (and of course its then effectively a 50mm f2.8 [100mm equivalent on 35mm]). Image quality is very good even wide open.

On the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 it is slow at focussing at the short end and very poor at the long end. This was in not particularly good light so I will need to experiment to determine conditions where it is useful and those where it doesn't really stack up. WHEN I did get focus the quality was good wide open; didn't have time to check with it stopped down a little.

So I have mixed feelings about it. It's obviously very handy as an emergency need more length on the "standard" zoom.

It should be a good multiplier for macro shots - but will need to test this out.

I will be interested to see if it works better on the new 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD when that is released.

At the moment I suspect it won't be very useable on the "old" 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 except in good light.

Will post more when I have had time to play some more; I've been too busy trying to find my way around the 227 different settings on the E-3!
Thanks for that Derek. I have used the EC-14 on an E-510 with the newer 40-150 kit lens and it seemed to work reliably even at the long end, which is roughly f/8.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 30th November 2007

Liked 678 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Thanks for that Derek. I have used the EC-14 on an E-510 with the newer 40-150 kit lens and it seemed to work reliably even at the long end, which is roughly f/8.

Ian
I'm pleased I have found this thread.

I was hopeful Santa and the Elves would choose either the EC-14 or EC-20 to wrap up and leave under the tree on the 25th or money to buy one in the January sales.

Ian, have you or has anyone else used both on the E-510 with the lens kit including the 70-300 (still coming)? I find it difficult to make a choice being so new to dslr photography. Still reading and learning but there is so much information to assimilate. Tempus fugit.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 30th November 2007
emirpprime

At the Oly event at the Worx, I found the 50-200 and EX-20 to be a decent combo. Perhaps it was just bright, or expectations maybe? But I think atleast for half decent light situations, it should be fine... but don't hold me to that! Probably performs better in spot metering and center spot focussing too, if you haven't tried that. Although im sure it could cope with a bird in flight say against a lightish sky.
Look forward to hearing more reports on it.
Phil
Old 5th February 2008
dlinney

Just experimented with the 2.0x Converter on my 50-200mm SWD and it works remarkably well. At first I had problems focusing (in poorish light) at the long end but then I switched from Focus Area = Small to Focus Area = Normal and it focused really well.

I am amazed at how good it is even with the lens wide open. So now I have an effective (35mm equiv.) of an 800mm f7.0 lens!