Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 28th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH

Just wondered those of you that have this lens on your OM-D how it performs. Is it a good walkabout lens or would I / you be better off with a few primes that you could buy for the same price

Thanks, James
Old 29th March 2013
Kiwi Paul

Re: Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH

It's an excellent zoom lens, very good resolution, it captures fine detail very well and it's combined characteristics produce very nice detailed photos. It weather proof and constant f2.8, very well made and has a nice feel to use.

I prefer zooms to primes but each for their own, only you can decide if the prime route is more suited to your style of shooting.

Paul
Old 29th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you Paul, I too prefer zooms to primes, but I think that is because I've mainly been shooting wildlife (birds, big cats and children) so always favoured longer lenses.

Now I really want to start carrying my camera around with me more and have the opportunity to try street shooting and just more candid shots of events and family - hence the wider focal length.

I have (from my Panny G3 days) the Panny 14mm and 20mm lenses - I love the 14 but it's a bit too wide, and I don't know if my OM-D is picky but it doesn't work well with my 20mm pancake - the subject of many older threads so I won't go into detail here.

So I have a budget of around 1000 to spend on glass and I've been thinking about the Panny/Leica 25mm f1.4 which gets rave reviews on all M4/3 cameras which will leave me with cash perhaps for the 9-18mm wide zoom or the 12mm f2 wide prime to go with it (but too close to the 14mm really), or I can blow the lot on the 12-35mm which would do the job of both - albeit a stop or two slower.

Many thanks for your comments at least I know it plays well on Oly bodies unlike the 20mm pancake.
Old 29th March 2013
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetset95 View Post
Many thanks for your comments at least I know it plays well on Oly bodies unlike the 20mm pancake.
I was just commenting on the lens per se, I use it on a G5 and GH3 but as far as I know it works fine on the OM-D.

Paul
Old 29th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ah, thanks for the update - yes I know the quality of the lens, I'm just a bit worried about the software built into Panny bodies being optimised for these new lenses, and if that means that they don't play so well on Oly bodies.

I know the 20mm is much older but the cost of the 12-35mm means I want it to be worth that extra cash.

Thanks for your reply though, much appreciated.
Old 23rd April 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have this exact lens and find the IQ excellent on my OM-D. I use it for portrait and landscape - it is fairly bulky by M4/3 standards - but still small and light compared to APS-C or the FX world!

But for a walk around lens I have great fun with the Pano 20mm f1.7 - no issues running it on the OM-D so far - it is a little slow focusing but I use manual focus and a smaller aperture for wide DOF for street photos anyway.

No comments in a photo forum are worth much with an example! but I don't have enough posts to give a link :-(
12-35 f2.8 at 35mm 1/80s @ f4.5 ISO 1600 -1/3EV
Old 23rd April 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Martyn. I too have the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 but I'm not a fan of MF without a focus aid, my corrective lenses don't help much through a viewfinder so I rely on AF unless shooting still life / landscapes, and its just too slow on my OM-D unless out in bright light.

Welcome to the forum by the way, and as soon as you have enough posts we'd love to see your photos.

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)