Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 21st April 2017
Senior

Liked 72 Times in 29 Posts
Re: Uk snap election

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Absolutely not, Harold. Whatever the outcome on June 8 will indirectly affect the rest of the world. If Theresa emerges with an increased majority it will enhance her bargaining position with Brussels if it is seen that she has the country behind her. And in her own right she will also be your elected PM. To expect politicians to be truthful or to keep promises is naive - that is the nature of politics. Australia is only one of a number of countries lining up to do trade deals with you.
I believe that Harold was speaking about European borders.

Visit my website http://dryplaid.zenfolio.com/

Olympus: E-M1 + HLD-7 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 Panasonic: GX8 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 45 | 17 | 60 macro | 75-300 | OM 135 Panasonic: 100-400 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
Apple: iMac 27" Retina | 13" MacBook Pro
Old 21st April 2017

Thanked 1,203 Times in 1,167 Posts
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Thank you Stewart, I now see the intended sense of Harold's reply.
I am aware of the "EU open borders" issue and its implications for the UK.
Australia has a contentious "Sovereign Borders" policy.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
The Following User Liked This Post:
Shaw (21st April 2017)
Old 21st April 2017

Liked 538 Times in 288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Methinks we desperately need a change in direction.

Interestingly, large numbers of people are becoming increasingly unhappy with their shallow, wasteful, retail therapy driven lives, and are seeking a new meaning to life that doesn't involve an expensive trip to the High Street every Saturday and Sunday.

Shoot. Must take that Mk2 back...............

My Flickr
Old 21st April 2017

Liked 486 Times in 277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Methinks we desperately need a change in direction.

Much of our economy is driven by those who live for retail therapy. The UK buys more online than any other country in the world. And most of our retail products come from abroad.

There are a lot of people who earn shed loads of money (relatively speaking) but they are never satisfied with what they have, and still get into debt to buy the latest 'must have' car, iPhone, entertainment system or whatever.

One of our neighbours, who regularly returns from shopping trips with a car load of bags and boxes, hired a skip over the Easter weekend, which was filled to the brim with unwanted stuff by Easter Monday.

Meanwhile others struggle to emulate the above with less money further down the food chain. Simply redistributing wealth will never work.

For their part, the High Street chains base their business plans on 4% minimum growth, year on year, and face collapse if they don't achieve this, (hence the scandal of declaring greater profits than were actually achieved).

Interestingly, large numbers of people are becoming increasingly unhappy with their shallow, wasteful, retail therapy driven lives, and are seeking a new meaning to life that doesn't involve an expensive trip to the High Street every Saturday and Sunday.

I don't know whether any politician can deliver this.
As someone who still uses the Oly E-620 and exclusively 4/3 system, Nokia 800 phone. still drives the van I had before I retired 5 yrs ago and own shoes which are probably older than some of the members on here, I totally agree with Nigel.

I am often amazed and amused when the TV shows the long queues of people, sleeping outside a store overnight and in some cases several nights. For what ? Waiting to be the first to purchase the latest IPhone or other such toy. The thrill must only last a matter of hours or minutes before several million other people purchase the same item. I suppose the same could possibly be said about pre-ordering the latest Oly camera before it's available in stores but I am not going to comment

In a strange way I can understand why people living in deprived areas or other less developed countries have no love for our way of life or alternatively aspire to live the same way and will even risk their lives for the chance to come here and sample it. Sadly, many find to their peril that the streets are not paved with gold as they were led to believe.

Nigel is right, we do need a change in direction, one that points towards the goals, ideals and aspirations that really matter in life but I fear the country will never achieve it.

End of Sermon

John
Bruce Clarke (21st April 2017), MJ224 (21st April 2017), Naughty Nigel (21st April 2017), wornish (21st April 2017)
Old 21st April 2017

Liked 538 Times in 288 Posts

A constant source of frustration is that at least every other shop is full of women's cloths.

Just how many do they need?

I am in the camp that if its comfortable and does not look too shabby, its good for go............

But there again, everyone to their own tastes.

We are veering from the thread title so I will shut up

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (21st April 2017)
Old 21st April 2017

Liked 1,188 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
As someone who still uses the Oly E-620 and exclusively 4/3 system, Nokia 800 phone. still drives the van I had before I retired 5 yrs ago and own shoes which are probably older than some of the members on here, I totally agree with Nigel.

I am often amazed and amused when the TV shows the long queues of people, sleeping outside a store overnight and in some cases several nights. For what ? Waiting to be the first to purchase the latest IPhone or other such toy. The thrill must only last a matter of hours or minutes before several million other people purchase the same item. I suppose the same could possibly be said about pre-ordering the latest Oly camera before it's available in stores but I am not going to comment

In a strange way I can understand why people living in deprived areas or other less developed countries have no love for our way of life or alternatively aspire to live the same way and will even risk their lives for the chance to come here and sample it. Sadly, many find to their peril that the streets are not paved with gold as they were led to believe.

Nigel is right, we do need a change in direction, one that points towards the goals, ideals and aspirations that really matter in life but I fear the country will never achieve it.

End of Sermon

John
Amen. And peace be with you.

The problem is that our entire culture and economy has become almost totally dependent on this way of life.

Is it any wonder that some other cultures despise us for it when they consider themselves lucky if they have one good meal a day and a roof to sleep under.

Employment in our traditional manufacturing industries has been almost totally replaced by employment in retail, so could we change now even if we wanted to?

And is this what Jeremy Corbyn would like?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 21st April 2017

Liked 1,413 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Correct.

Harold