Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th April 2017

Liked 715 Times in 391 Posts
Re: Uk snap election

Yes, I detect we've actually all become a bit more mutually tolerant and respectful over the past year or so! One wishes the same was true across the whole country, but evidence suggests it hasn't.

Surely there's no harm in making our points as long as we recognize this is not the main purpose of this forum as a whole, and that we just agree to differ when necessary.

I agree she was the best option at the time, but my main concerns over May are that she's a control-freak* and a remarkably successful hypocrite**.

Time will tell, but I read the purpose of the current election call as "get in now while I'm still in the honeymoon period before all the bad sh1t is going to hit the fan".

*e.g. introducing all those privacy-destroying controls on digital media as a knee-jerk sop to the traditional tory voter despite the balance of evidence implying they'll open up opportunities for hacking while not increasing genuine surveillance of terrorists.

**all this concern in her speeches over the 'Just-About-Managing' at the bottom of the income heap, while every single measure her government has introduced so far benefits the well-off over the poor and disabled. [If anyone disagrees with that last sentence, I'd be very interested to hear of any genuine evidence that goes against it].
How long are people going to lap this stuff up? Presumably at least until June the 8th!

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (19th April 2017), Naughty Nigel (18th April 2017), wornish (18th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 145 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
We saw Theresa May ...
I will be interested to hear your views.
Her face is too pale and she has horrible taste in shoes.

Mike Hookem for PM!
"Punch 'em until they fall down".
Naughty Nigel (18th April 2017), sapper (19th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 1,283 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Finally, can I remind everyone that the sign above the Lounge door reads: "Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!"

That would suggest that we shouldn't be discussing photography here.
How often that is forgotten!

I'm looking forward to seeing what they promise in their manifestos. Great track record there!

Harold
wornish (18th April 2017)
drmarkf (18th April 2017), Jim Ford (20th April 2017), Naughty Nigel (18th April 2017), wornish (18th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 1,283 Times in 730 Posts

The timing is interesting, a few weeks after the Chancellor increased the tax on beer for the first time in 5 years.

Harold
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 348 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Surprisingly, despite 7 years of austerity economics that have failed to reduce either the debt or the deficit but have still wrecked our public services, the UK economy is not doing too bad - at least not until the full force of Brexit hits us and nobody can predict what might happen then.

My issues are more about how the burden of austerity is falling mainly upon the poorest and most vulnerable people, with savage cuts to disability benefits in particular. Also, the ruination of the NHS, with 24 (yes, 24) A&E departments set to close nationwide, including my nearest A&E in Chelmsford. Plus now they are planning to ration knee and hip replacements, resulting in much longer waiting times for surgery. I'm lucky I had my hip done when I did, a whole year of constant pain with severe restrictions in what you can do is more than enough for anybody, thank you. There are many, many other issues too, but I don't want to make this an overly long post.

It does, though, rather beg the question, if our economy is doing as well as you seem to think, why are these terrible things happening?
Believe it or not I totally agree.

My neighbour has just undergone a second hip replacement and it has changed her life, thats down to the NHS. But it just can't cope with the demands of a population that is living longer and increasing in size due to too rapid immigration.

But....

The NHS model needs a total re think, its not a sacred cow, we should not just throw more money at the same old system and expect miracles. In the UK we spend less on public health as a percentage of GDP than any other G7 ( maybe G20) country. You can't get water out of a stone.

This is beyond any political party and we need a full open review.
I get tired of all parties using the NHS as a voting platform. It needs sorting but I don't hold my breath.
Grumpy Hec (19th April 2017), Zuiko (18th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 1,097 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I agree she was the best option at the time, but my main concerns over May are that she's a control-freak* and a remarkably successful hypocrite**.

Time will tell, but I read the purpose of the current election call as "get in now while I'm still in the honeymoon period before all the bad sh1t is going to hit the fan".

She is an MP. Most of them are hypocrites.

With regard to your second point, PM's nearly always call an election when they think they will have a good chance of getting back into power with an increased majority.

However, I suspect Gordon Brown may have been the exception to this rule when he called the 2010 election.

Quote:
**all this concern in her speeches over the 'Just-About-Managing' at the bottom of the income heap, while every single measure her government has introduced so far benefits the well-off over the poor and disabled.
I seem to remember similar rhetoric from Tony Blair. He was fond of splashing the cash, but only if it bought votes. Living in his constituency we saw very little benefit from his premiership or from Labour in general, but then this is a safe Labour seat.

Meanwhile, a neighbouring marginal constituency was given a brand new General Hospital that they wanted, but didn't need. It was fully equipped and fitted out, but became a geriatric care centre before a single operation had been carried out. Most of it has never been used.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (18th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 1,097 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Believe it or not I totally agree.

My neighbour has just undergone a second hip replacement and it has changed her life, thats down to the NHS. But it just can't cope with the demands of a population that is living longer and increasing in size due to too rapid immigration.

But....

The NHS model needs a total re think, its not a sacred cow, we should not just throw more money at the same old system and expect miracles. In the UK we spend less on public health as a percentage of GDP than any other G7 ( maybe G20) country. You can't get water out of a stone.

This is beyond any political party and we need a full open review.
I get tired of all parties using the NHS as a voting platform. It needs sorting but I don't hold my breath.
My example of the unnecessary General Hospital in our neighbouring marginal constituency is one example of why the NHS lacks the resources that it needs.

In my view education and health are far too important to be used as political footballs, and should be taken out of the political arena.

Surely it should be possible to appoint cross-party committees comprised of grown up MP's to run these departments?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
sapper (19th April 2017), wornish (18th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 544 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
My example of the unnecessary General Hospital in our neighbouring marginal constituency is one example of why the NHS lacks the resources that it needs....
In my botany class there are no less than 3 retired consultants + a GP. In the active members of our climbing club we have 1 emeritus professor of primary care, 2 more GP's, a senior A&E consultant, 2 paramedics and an A&E doctor. I have spoken to them at one time or other over the last few years. Whenever I talk about this stuff to any of them they seem to have an opinion of what is going wrong in the NHS and it isn't building a hospital, it usually ends up in a spot of rhyming slang. The lack of investment is exacerbated by one of Blair's neoliberal disasters - those disgraceful PFI contracts which are bleeding millions from the system. Having said that, I'd agree that the NHS does need to get smart and efficient, there are many inefficiencies which are glaringly obvious.

There is ample money in this country to care for our aging population. It needs the political will and it needs us to stop sending money abroad - I don't mean the EU by the way, have a look our balance of payments. We could have a look at the tax contribution paid by the richest in our society as well, there should be a few quid there.

That's enough incoherent ranting for tonight.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
The Following User Liked This Post:
Internaut (18th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,149 Posts
Liked 1,999 Times in 1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post

Mike Hookem for PM!
Aw that's a bit unkind ... I love her hairdo !
If it were in my power I'd gladly swap your PM for ours.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 18th April 2017

Thanked 1,089 Times in 974 Posts
Liked 1,042 Times in 691 Posts

Mark some people may agree to a free transfer?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

I do not think this is a suitable subject for a photography forum, and is only likely to cause disagreement and ill feeling. Having said that I must say that I loathe and despise the Tories, but there are more suitable places to express that opinion.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to dcbrookes For This Useful Post:
iso (19th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 715 Times in 391 Posts

One of my medical friends (who incidentally is at the opposite end of the political spectrum from me) has spoken for some years of the best way forward for the NHS, a Royal Commission.

As I understand it, this would remove the issue from political interference and its output could be made binding for, say, 5 years. The RC would take evidence from a whole load of sources, some specified by the government and others of their own choice, and they could have a remit that required them to choose from a wide range of funding options (like a hypothecated 2p on income tax, or an insurance based system, or flogging it all off to Beardy Branson, or whatever). Also they could opine on structure and management options.

Sounds reasonable to me.

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 18th April 2017

Liked 968 Times in 587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post

Mike Hookem for PM!
Go easy on her, she's not in the best of health. I read that she's type 1 diabetic.

on flickr
Old 18th April 2017

Quote:
One of my medical friends (who incidentally is at the opposite end of the political spectrum from me) has spoken for some years of the best way forward for the NHS, a Royal Commission.

As I understand it, this would remove the issue from political interference and its output could be made binding for, say, 5 years. The RC would take evidence from a whole load of sources, some specified by the government and others of their own choice, and they could have a remit that required them to choose from a wide range of funding options (like a hypothecated 2p on income tax, or an insurance based system, or flogging it all off to Beardy Branson, or whatever). Also they could opine on structure and management options.

Sounds reasonable to me.
But any tax rise would have to agreed by parliament. I can't think of an independent agency who would be given the power to raise taxes.

on flickr
Old 18th April 2017

Moving this healthy discussion onwards, anyone care to bet on the outcome... in terms of the number of seats after the general election. I'm guessing a conservative majority of 80 seats... at the very least. Followed by JC being debunked.

on flickr