Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th April 2017

Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Crucial M4 SSD anyone?

I rarely post on here any more, though still regularly browse,and for those of you who happen to use a Crucial M4 SSD in your PC, the following might prove worth knowing.

My 5 year-old Win7 PC, which has such a drive upon which resides the OS, suddenly started locking up, requiring a hard re-boot to get out of it. It would run OK on re-boot, but then after a while the same thing would happen. If I left the PC to itself I'd end up with a BSOD, with a critical Error 0x00000f4. Given that I'd not long changed a hard drive for a bigger one, and as it seemed to start after an upgrade some software, I was beginning to fret. Despite putting the PC together myself, I'm not at all well versed in the inner workings of PCs, so was feeling somewhat flummoxed as to what I should do. The thought of a clean install together with 5 years-worth of accumulated programs filled me with dread.

Anyway, the internet can be our saviour! Eventually after much browsing I came across this thread https://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...ld-boot-3.html which pointed to a rather obscure and unexpected problem. Basically, the early M4 firmware has a SMART counter which makes the drive unresponsive after 5184 hours of run time, would you believe? Upon re-boot, it'll work for another hour before it locks out again. And so on. So, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I downloaded the latest firmware from the Crucial support site, and installed it. Well, touch wood, it seems to have solved it; at least it hasn't locked up yet

Thank goodness I didn't get to the point of a clean install, because after all the work I'd still have had the problem.

Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rawcoll For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (15th April 2017), jdal (15th April 2017), Jim Ford (15th April 2017), MJ224 (16th April 2017), Naughty Nigel (15th April 2017), OM USer (16th April 2017)