Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th April 2017

Liked 1,003 Times in 612 Posts
What does your photography say about you?

I read this on LensCulture:
'The great essayist Michel Montaigne wrote at the beginning of his collected writings "I am myself the matter of my book". Applied to photography, it means that if you are yourself, this something of your particular personality and the way of looking at the world will come out in what you do. But you only get there if you genuinely follow your own interest.'

Perhaps I have an interest in toilet humour?

Lavatorium by -Steve Ricoh-

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (14th April 2017)
Old 14th April 2017

Liked 177 Times in 152 Posts
Re: What does your photography say about you?

Careful Steve, otherwise I will get into trouble again. Yep, I think someone's approach/way they do it/what they look for - does say a lot about them.
Old 15th April 2017

Liked 1,186 Times in 810 Posts

I suspect my photography would show a split personality.

My 'day job' involves photography akin to Scenes of Crime. The aim is to create a permanent record of technical defects in paintwork. These photographs are used to illustrate my technical reports which may ultimately go to court as Expert Witness reports.

The purpose of both my reports and photographs is very strictly to help the Judge in coming to his or her judgement. As such the photographs and reports must be taken and written neutrally and dispassionately, and must not be in any way misleading. Clearly it be wholly inappropriate (and in Contempt of Court) to manipulate the photographs in any way, or to seek to mislead the court.

I always shoot these images in RAW. The RAW images are always retained at least until Judgement has been reached, and often need to be disclosed to 'the other side'.

This is something that I have made a particular speciality of over the past thirty years or so, and it would be fair to say that many judgements that I have been involved with have been made on photographic evidence above all else.

By contrast, I have to say I have often been surprised by the poor quality of photographs submitted by some experts. In many cases these have included mobile phone and compact camera photographs, where the inability to focus on the point at issue often means that the defect is unseen, or not seen in its proper context.

I also take photographs to illustrate technical manuals and articles that I write.

I don't know what this style of photography would say about me other than my passion for capturing images accurately, fairly and dispassionately, if that isn't a contradiction in terms; although if I am doing my job properly there should be any personality to see.

Leaving the day job behind, I enjoy landscape and seascape photography, and occasionally venture into architectural photography, although I find this less rewarding. I dislike taking photographs of people other than very informal shots; often grabbed on a mobile phone.

Whilst I think about it, these landscapes sometimes include railway lines, (often disused), steam trains and suchlike. Cars are another subject of interest.

In truth I enjoy taking landscape and architectural photographs more than looking at them afterwards, but I do have a few favourites hanging on the walls at home. These are not necessarily my 'best' photographs, but they are the photographs that have special meaning to me, and which I enjoy looking at.

I don't know what these photographs say about me other than my love for wide open spaces and nature, but in truth, I have never really thought about it before now.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 15th April 2017

I'm sure a lot of photographers never look at their work, apart from chimping or pixel peeping to determine if the new lens or cam is up to scratch, but I'm sure they get enjoyment, so what the heck.

Been looking at the work of Ernst Hass and Saul Leiter (I'm not sure who influence the other as they're quite similar) and although I admire their work I'm not quite sure what it says about these photographic legends. The way their images convey themselves, however, is the unique way film renders colours so different from the very clinical digital. If you study or read about Leiter, you'll discover that he used out of date and/or heat damaged film, so I guess it says he was an experimentalist as well as an expressionist.

on flickr
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts

The thing about Leiter was that he was so self-deprecating and expressed the view that his photography and art were unimportant. It's been speculated that this was the result of a father who was critical of everything he did. If it were not for a small handful of people who beat their way to his door during the latter part of his years, we may never have seen his genius.

I suppose that Leiter was true to himself, the self that was undermined in his younger days and that's what his photography said about him, damaged but with integrity and with an inner resolve to pursue his own dream rather than that of his father. And then of course, photography has the power to shape us, what our photography said about us say 20 years ago, could (and possibly should) be different today.

It's an interesting question that's been posed however, photography can only reveal certain aspects of who and what we are and where we started from.

David
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 536 Times in 286 Posts

My photography shows me as an opportunist, a optimistic one at that!

Bird shots from walking the woods are just that, rarely get the perfect photo, but as I am not a perfectionist, I just get pleasure from those momentry opportunities to see my boids in their natural world.........

Who cares.

My Flickr
Old 16th April 2017

Who cares you say, well you me and every other photographer should pause and think for a moment since our imagery says something about us, our upbringing, our attitudes to what we see, possible prejudices and a whole bunch more. This is certainly true if you dabble with street or photo journalism as it's difficult to take images without revealing your inner self and feelings. Well that's the way I 'see' things.

on flickr
MJ224 (16th April 2017)
Old 16th April 2017

By way of contrast, it's interesting if you give child a camera, he or she will more than likely take random images - because the child has minimal life experiences and as a consequence has little or nothing to say.

on flickr
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts

But what does your choice of camera or system say about you?

I do agree that photography can say a lot about what goes on in your mind.

My Flickr

OMD E-M5 Mk II, E-5 and E-510

"A race, a fight or a game can be won but to call something 'the best' in the arts is absurd" Sir Alec Guinness, 28th March 1995
Old 16th April 2017

That's a separate but also a good question. For me my camera 'says' this person prefers total control of picture creation, focus DoF exposure the lot. This person also carries a handheld light meter (a Sekonic L-758) and others stop me and ask 'are you shooting with an old fashioned film camera?' then I show them the reverse side which houses a TV screen. I like watching Homeland on it.

on flickr
Old 16th April 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,054 Times in 635 Posts

I do a lot of people photography, and as someone pointed out, most of the people are women...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (16th April 2017), Ricoh (16th April 2017)
Old 16th April 2017

...like an open book Graham

on flickr
Graham_of_Rainham (16th April 2017)
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I think it was Lord Snowdon who said: "If you are a miserable wimp, your camera will take miserable wimpish pictures."
Ricoh (16th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017

Liked 1,410 Times in 798 Posts

I do mostly macro.

Harold
MJ224 (17th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,831 Times in 2,183 Posts
Liked 3,422 Times in 1,609 Posts

This has really got me thinking, particularly in regard to a set of landscapes taken on my most recent outing. I didn't want to gate crash this thread with my reply, as I have seven pictures to post as examples, so I've started a new thread if anyone is interested:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...023#post412023

As photographers, sometimes I think we need to kick ourselves up the backside, or at least step back and really think about the value of what we are doing.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau