Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th April 2017

Liked 967 Times in 587 Posts
Technical perfection doesn't truly matter

http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/...images-matter/

on flickr
Old 11th April 2017

Liked 1,282 Times in 729 Posts
Re: Technical perfection doesn't truly matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Error 404 - Page Not Found

Harold
Old 11th April 2017

Sorry about that, I believe this link works:

The author of this blog has it spot on, many are chasing technical perfection but their images say nothing other than the care and attention to super sharp pixels.

on flickr
Old 11th April 2017

Liked 1,165 Times in 720 Posts

It was the same in the film era. A lot of editors would choose an interesting shot over a technically better but more sterile shot.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.
Old 11th April 2017

Liked 1,282 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Sorry about that, I believe this link works:
I'm getting Error 404 - Page Not Found again!

This is what I got when I found the article:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/blog/...-images-matter

That worked once for me from here.

Harold
RobEW (12th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017

Can't explain why that is Harold, it works for me. Sorry!

One sure way is to log into Wex Photographic then click or tap on Blog. The article is near the bottom of the page.

on flickr
Old 11th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It was the same in the film era. A lot of editors would choose an interesting shot over a technically better but more sterile shot.
It matters not a jot if the image is as sharp as sharp can be, or has dynamic range equivalent to the human eye (I think they call it HDR) but is worthless unless the image communicates, 'worth a thousand words'. One could say landscape photography is immune, but I'm not sure. Are we really interested in looking at what the lens captured, or are we more interested in seeing the photographers reaction to the scene, his personal stamp, his feelings for the scenery. The emotion is far more interesting.

on flickr
Old 11th April 2017

Liked 1,095 Times in 750 Posts

Hmmm. I would agree that content and composition must always come first, but why spoil a compelling image by failing to apply good technical discipline?

Are we really saying that a well composed mobile phone image or a frame grabbed from dashcam footage is as good as that from medium format, or a high spec DSLR?

I strive for good composition AND technical quality in my photographs. If I really thought that either of these didn't matter I probably wouldn't bother as it would give me no pleasure. I do occasionally take photographs with my phone if that is all I have to hand, (and with a 22 MP sensor they are remarkably good), but I don't get anything like the same pleasure as using a 'proper' camera.

Likewise I rarely use my 35 mm film cameras for anything other than B&W these days as the quality of colour images is disappointing when compared with (say) an EM1 or EM5, and miles away from what can be achieved with medium format film.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
benvendetta (11th April 2017), Gwyver (11th April 2017), Zuiko (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,805 Times in 2,160 Posts
Liked 3,363 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Error 404 - Page Not Found

Harold
Maybe the technical aspects do matter!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017

Thanked 1,089 Times in 974 Posts
Liked 1,042 Times in 691 Posts

Having problems also can only get it using Harold's link?
I knew I should never have given that interview when I said the technical flaws in 99.9% of my shots were deliberate.

On a serious note when I think back to signing on to this site 8 years ago I was reasonably happy with my work.
Seeing others work and viewing it as far superior made me change, I was not aware of some of the problems I had and with the limited audience I had up to then there was no one to tell me differently
Now I think long and hard about which shots to keep, looking at all those things forum members took for granted and which due to them I now use or look for. My work has progressed it is still not brilliant or even near but it has changed a lot, I now know what I want to achieve and strive to get there.
As for equipment it does play a big part and by getting new or the latest will not make me a better photographer but it will make it easier to attain technical aims as I can use the equipment to assist and that in turn allows me to work on the other bits which need a lot of work
Most of us enjoy shaky black and white Chaplin movies and accept the lack of technical perfection as we know it was the best available at the time.
Do the new computer generated edited to death movies using the latest technology improve the visual experience in a funny movie for most of the audience or only for those with the knowledge and skills to recognise it.
Most ' modern' art just confuses me ( not difficult ) but for those in the know with the knowledge and skills to understand the technical perfection presented it must be a whole different experience.

Boy; being without a camera does things to the mind.

No brain cells were damaged in writing this epistle.

Ed

Wee Man

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Naughty Nigel (11th April 2017), OM USer (11th April 2017)
Old 11th April 2017

Liked 1,565 Times in 606 Posts

What is technical perfection?

If we look at modern modern do we want an image that is sharp from fronto back and has all 256 levels of the histogram in it.

Beware of being to uptight about these things a high or low key image may not meet the technically perfect ideal.

I read Black + White Photography magazine and many of the images in it are far from technically perfect.

I have shot many different ways sometimes deliberatly outside any techinally high quality work but it can be enjoyed.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 11th April 2017

Liked 1,095 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
As for equipment it does play a big part and by getting new or the latest will not make me a better photographer but it will make it easier to attain technical aims as I can use the equipment to assist and that in turn allows me to work on the other bits which need a lot of work.

Ed

Wee Man
Yes; new and better equipment can and does make it easier to get nearer to technical perfection, even if it doesn't always help composition. I find focus peaking on the EM1 is a great feature, although I was just as happy with a fast prime lens on my OM film cameras. Likewise the metering systems fitted to most recent cameras make it easy to get exposure about right, although there was now't wrong with the meters on the OM2 Sp or OM4Ti.

I don't have any particular craving for new or 'better' equipment, and in truth, I am happy to use almost any good camera, whether that be film or digital; but I do like to get the best possible results from whichever equipment that I use.

That doesn't mean that I obsess about technical perfection; simply that I feel I would be wasting time, money, resources and effort if I didn't strive to get the best results possible from whichever camera I have to hand; even if that is a phone camera.

To do otherwise would be like spoiling a fine champagne by adding orange juice to it.

By choice I prefer to use medium format film cameras; partly because I feel they make it easier to compose, and partly because of the sheer image quality that they make possible, but mainly because I love using them and peering down their large waist level finders!

Hobby photographers have always obsessed about equipment, the finest grain films, the fastest, highest definition lenses and so forth, but it has taken digital capture to reduce our desires to raw numbers, pixel counts and numerical specifications.

Still, it isn't as bad as HiFi, where some people obsess about solid gold interconnects, (some costing more than a digital Hasselblad), and isolating their systems from possible interference from the electricity grid.

I just hope I don't get any noisy or misaligned electrons into my EM1's battery when I next charge it as they may just affect the 'lucidity' and 'transparency' of my images. I had best get a super-expensive charger cable with 'linear crystal, oxygen free copper' conductors just to make sure.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th April 2017

I was at a workshop this evening where I was able to use Hasselblad and Mamiya medium format cameras with 120 film, which we developed shortly afterwards. I was blown away by the experience; so much easier to compose and an absolute pleasure to use. If I was seriously considering analogue, medium format would be way up on the list.

on flickr
Old 12th April 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,805 Times in 2,160 Posts
Liked 3,363 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Then again, 1000 - 1500 words of related text did wonders in helping to sell mediocre photos. A complete package of words and pictures was very attractive to hard pressed editors with deadlines to meet. Not so much these days, with literally thousands of relevant pictures available at the click of a mouse and most available for a pittance or even less......

Just saying

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (12th April 2017)
Old 12th April 2017

Liked 1,165 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Then again, 1000 - 1500 words of related text did wonders in helping to sell mediocre photos. A complete package of words and pictures was very attractive to hard pressed editors with deadlines to meet. Not so much these days, with literally thousands of relevant pictures available at the click of a mouse and most available for a pittance or even less......

Just saying
I don't think your pictures would have been mediocre but otherwise I totally agree. The way things are going I'm expecting someone to ask how much they should pay an editor to use their photo at some point.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.
Naughty Nigel (12th April 2017), Zuiko (12th April 2017)