Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th April 2017

Liked 1,097 Times in 752 Posts
Re: The Exponential Age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
The Azuma electro-diesel idea seems more sensible than the present system of running Voyager diesels on electrified lines to cope with routes that are not fully electrified. The thought of overhead cables on Ribblehead Viaduct horrifies me so I hope that some alternative can be found quickly! Batteries to act as a backup for short distances seems feasible, and they can be charged from the overhead power lines as well as using regenerative braking on downhill sections. Here's an interesting article:
http://www.esg-rail.com/are-battery-...ification.aspx
I suspect locomotives as such have probably had their day and the future lies with multiple-units in which each carriage has its own motor and power supply.
I have never been a fan of Voyagers. They are horrible. noisy things. The HST is a much quieter and more comfortable train, and is still very reliable. I loved the sound of the original Paxman Valenta V12 diesels, but since being re-engined with V16 MTU diesels they run much more cleanly, and with more power.

However, am not convinced that (taken overall) a modern diesel train will result in greater emissions than an electric train. In fact I would have thought the reverse was true when all of the losses are taken into consideration.

Not only that, production of the steel and copper used to provide the overhead lines, and the vehicles needed to install them will also create significant emissions 'somewhere else;.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
As for diesel emissions, YouTube is full of videos showing old diesel locos resembling steamers given the amount of smoke being chucked out! The last Class 66 diesel has been delivered as even those relatively modern locos cannot meet new emission regulations.
So no more sheds on our railways?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th April 2017

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,149 Posts
Liked 1,999 Times in 1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
This is interesting. However, the problem with all of these technologies is that they are inherently wasteful of energy. A storage battery can only deliver about 60% of the power that you put into it, whilst the control gear involved is only about 90% efficient at best.

Likewise, long distance power transmission lines and undersea links are inherently lossy; which is why many use DC power to minimise capacitive losses at least. Resistive losses are unavoidable.

We have a few large-scale power storage plants here in the UK, which are effectively hydro-electric generators put into reverse when there is a surplus of power in the grid. I don't know how efficient these are, but they can provide large amounts of power at very short notice.

So whilst storage batteries may save the power companies from having to invest in generation capacity for peak periods they don't actually save energy unless used by consumers to directly store their own wind or solar power for their own needs.

This is my argument against electric cars. The Greenies see them as a pollution free utopia, whilst conveniently forgetting where the power comes from! In truth, they simply create even more pollution 'somewhere else'.

Look at it another way: is it more efficient to burn gas to boil water to create steam to drive generators to transmit power along hundreds of miles of overhead cables through dozens of step-up and step-down transformers to charge a battery to turn electric motors to drive a car, or simply to put petrol in the car to drive an efficient engine through a gearbox?

Electric cars would be fine if all of our power was renewable, but not when we still rely heavily on burning coal and gas.
The way the world is heading under war clouds gathering, it may all be over for humanity within a decade or less. I see a convergence of adverse global Geological, Meteorological, Political and Financial events that are escalating by the year.

On another forum a less idealistic artist than myself, paints a grim picture of the future - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1425059

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 7th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
The way the world is heading under war clouds gathering, it may all be over for humanity within a decade or less. I see a convergence of adverse global Geological, Meteorological, Political and Financial events that are escalating by the year.
Things certainly don't look good right now do they? Too many lunatics in charge of the asylum, and too many of the PC brigade letting them get on with it.

If I hear the Trumpet sound I shall take my toothbrush and go.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th April 2017

Quote:
........... If I hear the Trumpet sound I shall take my toothbrush and go.
Tell me where and I'll go with you

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 7th April 2017

Quote:
Tell me where and I'll go with you
I'm told its just as well that I like the smell of matches, if that gives you a clue.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th April 2017

Just so long as there's lots of naughty girls, I'm in.

Afterthought: I guess they wouldn't be there if they weren't

The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (7th April 2017)
Old 7th April 2017

Liked 195 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
In 1998 Kodak had 170,000 employees and sold 85 % photo paper worldwide. Within just a few years their business model disappeared, and they went bankrupt. What happened to Kodak will happen in a lot of industries in the next ten years and, most people won't see it coming.
re What happened to Kodak, well.. they sold the division that I was working for and that stopped my access to Kodachome / Ektachrome at staff prices so I switched back to Velvia

I went there (Rochester NY State) a few times in the late 90's and then again in about 2014 and the difference was amazing - badk in the early days the Kodak site was so large it even had it's own power station inside the park, but that's been sold as has a large part of the land

I do remember some good times like the time I said to someone in marketing I was running a photo competition and a few boxes of film were sent to me .. not a few rolls.. a few boxes of 36 rolls

back to your point.. yes we live in disruptive times.

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://shenstonephoto.blogspot.com/
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
Old 7th April 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,805 Times in 2,160 Posts
Liked 3,363 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Just so long as there's lots of naughty girls, I'm in.

Afterthought: I guess they wouldn't be there if they weren't
Surely, as it's Hell we are talking about, the place will be full of gorgeous, sexy and very willing girls who absolutely adore us - and we will all be totally and permanently impotent!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (7th April 2017)
Old 7th April 2017

Thanked 1,089 Times in 974 Posts
Liked 1,042 Times in 691 Posts

Just like hell on earth for some already.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 7th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Surely, as it's Hell we are talking about, the place will be full of gorgeous, sexy and very willing girls who absolutely adore us - and we will all be totally and permanently impotent!
Except for the impotence bit (of which I'm in denial) your vision sounds more like heaven.

Old 8th April 2017

Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
I have never been a fan of Voyagers. They are horrible. noisy things. The HST is a much quieter and more comfortable train, and is still very reliable. I loved the sound of the original Paxman Valenta V12 diesels, but since being re-engined with V16 MTU diesels they run much more cleanly, and with more power.

So no more sheds on our railways?
The Voyager is like a Rolls-Royce compared to a Pacer! But I agree about the HST, I still prefer to travel on one of those than the electric trains on the ECML. There is a fine video on YouTube of an original HST with Paxman engines leaving Newcastle station with an enthusiastic driver! The "sheds" carry on but there will be no new ones now. If @Pandora is right it's not going to matter very much anyway ..
Old 8th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
re What happened to Kodak, well.. they sold the division that I was working for and that stopped my access to Kodachome / Ektachrome at staff prices so I switched back to Velvia

I went there (Rochester NY State) a few times in the late 90's and then again in about 2014 and the difference was amazing - badk in the early days the Kodak site was so large it even had it's own power station inside the park, but that's been sold as has a large part of the land

I do remember some good times like the time I said to someone in marketing I was running a photo competition and a few boxes of film were sent to me .. not a few rolls.. a few boxes of 36 rolls

back to your point.. yes we live in disruptive times.

Regards
Andy
Sorry I missed your post earlier, Andy.
As a pro wedding 'toger I used Fuji 400H, never tried Kodak.
That was generous of Kodak to gift you several boxes of film.

Old 9th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Well, at least there will be no shortage of MP's down there to lobby about NHS services.

Having said that, I'm sure Blair and Mandy will talk their way past St Peter.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th April 2017

It's Donald whose destination will be worth watching out for - with that cherubic face I'd wager he'll be blowing his own trumpet in paradise surrounded by adoring angels. God may even offer him a sainthood. As for Bashar, he's buggered, Old Nick will make use of his talents as Commander of Chaos. Then of course there's Ķim, Vladi and Li, but at 2:30am I'm leaving it to you to foretell their destiny .... back to bed for this ole sinner.

Old 9th April 2017

Liked 1,283 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
God may even offer him a sainthood.
Donald will do some kind of deal.

Harold
pandora (9th April 2017)