Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 17th March 2017

Liked 301 Times in 150 Posts
Re: Generating new interest in photo challenges

Loosing the will to live..............
Old 17th March 2017

Liked 110 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Loosing the will to live..............
MJ - Have to agree - none of the respondents to this thread have got the point.
Again look at the number who have viewed, and look at the response level.

No use quoting the number of Members, or the number who are looking at any one time. How many feel they would be able to contribute!

We should all be bloody ashamed of ourselves. We should be encouraging involvement, not being Peacocks.
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (17th March 2017)
Old 18th March 2017

MJ - We either keep replying to this or 'let it die'. Apart from the 'usual suspects' the thread has not really garnered new responses.
Maybe too much Nero Fiddling as Rome burns
Old 18th March 2017

Yep, plainly we are in a total minority,

I have given up.

Never mind, will meet some of our Olympians at the show no doubt...........

Old 18th March 2017

MJ - Two things:
Amazing I just used 'Olympians' in another post re Harold's dealings with Service Centre.
But much more to the point: Haven't seen any Admin/Mods response to our responses.
WHAT IS THIS FORUM ABOUT
Here we all are being so'oo clever adopting the best current/future pic tool, but do really rather nothing to ENCOURAGE it's growth.
Old 18th March 2017

Iso,

Without being critical, the Olympus forum really relies on only a dozen or so contributors. (Not precise, maybe two dozen)

I would have thought that the forum needs all it can get in the way on contributions, and a challenge is (I thought) an easy way to encourage Olympians (!) to make their presence known.

As far as I have seen, despite being a relatively new member, the "challenges" have been well run, and has seen very constructive judgements. members who have won, and consequently judged the next challenge have been very inclusive.

But I can go on and on, the response to this "challenge" just speaks for itself. I see no point in boring the other 20 odd contributors................

Night Night.
Old 18th March 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,748 Times in 2,120 Posts
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,460 Posts

Okay, I've been following this thread, reading the opinions and suggestion put forward and it's time I commented. It is true that responses have been limited to a handful of members but I feel it is inappropriate to castigate the majority of our 350 active members who clearly have no wish to enter the monthly competition or involve themselves in its reform. Using phrases such as "bloody ashamed," "pitiful response" and likening such members to "peacocks" (I'm not entirely sure what is meant by this in the context of the discussion) is not helpful.

However, I can appreciate the frustration of those who would like to participate in well supported competitions or challenges and the question is where do we go from here. Clearly the present format, just like the previous incarnation, is no longer inspiring members to enter despite initially being reasonably popular.

The relaxation of the rule requiring entries to be posted from the forum gallery should hopefully remove one barrier that has previously discouraged some members. However, this alone is unlikely to produce a dramatic upturn in participation. I accept that having a separate thread for comments and discussions is clumsy; the intention was to prevent the pictures entered from becoming lost amongst a deluge of comments, but this is clearly a most unlikely scenario and I propose we just have one thread covering all in future.

It hadn't occurred to me that some people are deterred from entering by the responsibility of setting and judging the next competition if they win. This could be overcome by the proposal that the themes for the year are published in advance. The question is, who would set these? The administrators, or do we invite suggestions and pick the twelve most popular? This could be combined with voting for the monthly winner by using the Like button, therefore avoiding the responsibility of judging being foisted upon somebody who is uncomfortable with it and it may be a way of including members who don't wish to enter one of their own pictures.

Ian, Graham and me will now have to take these suggestions into account when making a decision on how to proceed. Keep the comments coming, but please respect members who do not wish to participate in this debate.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (19th March 2017), skids (21st March 2017), The Technician (20th March 2017)
Old 19th March 2017
Administrator

Of course, it could be that there is just not enough appetite on the forum for competitions and some members have said that they regard photography as a relaxing, rather than competitive, hobby. There are ways in which we can encourage the posting of more pictures (particularly without the constraint of using the gallery) in a non-competitive format; here are a few ideas:-

We start a thread each month with a theme and members are invited to post their pictures that match the theme, but in a non-competitive format with no judging and no winners - just fellow enthusiasts sharing their work.

Another idea, just for fun, is that somebody starts a thread with, say, a picture of a windmill. It is then up to someone to post a picture of a subject, the first letter of which matches the last letter of the previous subject. In this example "windmill" ends with the letter 'L' so someone may choose to post a picture of a lion. The next person may post a nude (tastefully photographed, of course) followed by someone posting a picture of a jogger, with the caption "exercise," requiring the next subject to also start with 'E.' And so on.

My other thought was a Picture Snap thread, where somebody starts off with, say, a picture of a horse. The first person to also post a picture of a horse gets to chose the next subject, and posts a picture of daffodil, for instance. The first person to post another daffodil picture then gets to post another picture, of a different subject, and on it goes.

Any thoughts? Any other ideas?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Technician (20th March 2017)
Old 19th March 2017

Liked 980 Times in 606 Posts

I was wondering if a monthly theme based on the actual month would work. It could be any subject taken in that month or it could tie in with the month. Tennis or the TT in June, fireworks in November (for the UK, July for Canada) for example.

Edit. And I was thinking just a monthly thread, not a competition.
Zuiko (19th March 2017)
Old 19th March 2017

Thanked 1,017 Times in 976 Posts
Liked 594 Times in 443 Posts

I thought it was time for a positive response to the competitions. I liked them! My only issue is that I don't take very interesting photos. That is mostly down to the fact that I don't get out and about all that much and my back catalogue of photos is pretty boring and does not always contain something that matches the competition theme. I have on occassion been out just to take something to enter so that is something positive that I can take from this. I do think that the quality of the competition set, the entries (apart from mine), and the judging are all excellently performed.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Old 19th March 2017

Liked 276 Times in 139 Posts

I have been following this thread with interest.

I also like the current challenges as they encourage me to go out and try something different. But having less than 10 entrants for some of them kind of defeats the purpose.

I have been a member of much larger forums before selling all my full frame gear and becoming Oly only, they have the same issues, challenges seem to be popular for a while then the numbers of entries fall off. Rather than having an individual judge who is the winner they just counted the number of likes each entry received. The downside of this approach was a small clique of entrants started to vote for each other and then newbies were put off.

I dont think there is a perfect solution as others on here have said.

I would be happy to have list of say 12 or 52 subjects to go for over a year and just let people like or comment on them. It gives me a reason to go out and take more pics.

Not sure this helps but at least I have now responded.
MJ224 (19th March 2017), OM USer (19th March 2017), PeterBirder (19th March 2017)
MJ224 (19th March 2017)
Old 21st March 2017
Administrator

Any further comments or suggestions before I change the format of the monthly challenge and try something new?

Old 21st March 2017

Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts

I also like the current method of the previous winner picking the new subject, as it has forced me to go out and take photos of some different subjects to what I would normally go for.

I haven't entered any challenges (or been particularly active here) for a few months now, but that is purely down to lack of camera use...and I do intend to start putting that right!

I have won a couple of challenges, and the judging element does put me off slightly...purely because I don't feel I'm particularly well placed to be judging other peoples photographs. At the end of the day I just had to pick what I found most pleasing, and while that is the intended criteria, I do feel that some method of letting the community vote is a fairer system.

I'm not sure removing the rule of having to upload to the e-group gallery will have any effect on the number of entries...although I do agree it is unnecessary and indeed should be removed. The process of uploading is slightly clunky, but I can't imagine that that would be what has put people off entering.

Those are my thoughts on the matter...for what they're worth!

Alan
MJ224 (21st March 2017), OM USer (21st March 2017)
Old 21st March 2017

Thanked 1,017 Times in 976 Posts
Liked 594 Times in 443 Posts

I'm sure any upload issues would be a lot smoother if the "upload" button could be on the quick links drop down rather than having to go into the gallery first.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
iso (21st March 2017)
iso (21st March 2017), wornish (21st March 2017)
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 276 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
I'm sure any upload issues would be a lot smoother if the "upload" button could be on the quick links drop down rathe than haviong to go into the gallery first.
Totally agree.
I don't understand why this site works like this, its not rocket science.

I have lost count of the number of times I have started a post and then realised I have to go to the Gallery first to upload a file and get the link. So frustrating.
iso (21st March 2017)