Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 10th March 2017

Liked 276 Times in 133 Posts
Re: Generating new interest in photo challenges

If it needs "Bumping" maybe that's also why there are so few entries......

I am surprised that there is so little interest in these competitions. As a non club member, its almost my only outlet for a specified subject.

Forum seems not to have too many active members, so maybe that is the basic problem, dunno

Hopefully after the photo show, all will be re-energised
Old 10th March 2017

Liked 61 Times in 35 Posts

My 2p.

The requirement to upload the image here has put me off, but not a lot.
The separation of the images and the comments in to different threads puzzled me too. Surely having the commentary on the same thread as the image makes more sense when you're discussing its merits?
I'd prefer to post my own thread with my own image and deal with comments in that thread.
In the unlikely event of winning I am intimidated by the requirement to judge the following round. I'm sure most people would take no offence I wouldn't feel comfortable with judging someone else's pictures so publicly.
A poll seems much more egalitarian.
In general the prize for winning seems to be to administer the next round

I also post over in the Photography section at AVforums and they run a monthly competition.
The competition does require a bit more moderation - cleaning up the competition forum and setting up the voting poll so I appreciate that may not be possible here.
If anyone is interested these are the rules...
https://www.avforums.com/threads/com...ering.1328061/
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (12th March 2017)
Old 10th March 2017

Liked 843 Times in 499 Posts

I've 'sampled' two photo clubs, one said to me 'we have regular competitions, and inter club competitions' - I was off like a shot. At the other club I 'sampled' I was told 'we do not 'do' competitions' - I thought that's better than the other one, but I decided clubs are not my cup of tea after all. Why do people think photography is competitive, I don't understand it. In my book it's a personal pursuit and we all interpret scenery (in the widest interpretation of the word) in different ways for our own enjoyment or punishment.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (10th March 2017)
Old 12th March 2017

Liked 119 Times in 77 Posts

Although I have sympathy with Ricoh's views. Sometimes it is good to challenge oneself with topics that don't fit your normal picture taking. If there is no best picture then the choice of topic would lead to a moderator setting the challenge would become stale. It's not really a competition in the normal sense, in fact the prize for winning is like the old joke about 2nd prize, a week in Slough, 1st prize 2 weeks in Slough (sorry Slough).
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
MJ224 (12th March 2017)
Old 12th March 2017

Liked 384 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
Although I have sympathy with Ricoh's views. Sometimes it is good to challenge oneself with topics that don't fit your normal picture taking. If there is no best picture then the choice of topic would lead to a moderator setting the challenge would become stale. It's not really a competition in the normal sense, in fact the prize for winning is like the old joke about 2nd prize, a week in Slough, 1st prize 2 weeks in Slough (sorry Slough).
Slough was the other way round!

1st prize, a week in Slough, 2nd prize 2 weeks in Slough (sorry Slough)

Doubly sorry Slough! And Maccabeej

However I enter the competitions on here to push myself as it's a fairly non-competitive environment - I go out to take a photo for the comp, however all my dealings with clubs have been very negative and almost destructive critique of photos, so I avoid them too!
Apple: 27" iMac, 13" MacBook Pro
Adobe: Creative Cloud
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (12th March 2017), Ricoh (12th March 2017)
Old 12th March 2017

Have to admit all of my entries (2 I think) have come from Flickr. May I am disqualified then!!

But it surely cannot be important where they are sourced from.

The COMPETITION is not really competitive, to me its an outlet for my hobby, and seeing what gets entered, it can be quite inspiring to see peoples interpretation.

If you don't want to enter, then don't feel bad about it, we are all here for a variety of photographic reasons. And the judges reasoning has no problem with me. We understand that the judge is just one of us, and his thoughts are his, no real need for justification.

Pauls ideas are good, I support them fully.

Lets get on with it...............
alfbranch (12th March 2017)
Old 12th March 2017

Liked 1,422 Times in 553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Have to admit all of my entries (2 I think) have come from Flickr. May I am disqualified then!!.
You are very naughty just like me

OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

MJ224 (14th March 2017)
Old 14th March 2017

Liked 109 Times in 96 Posts

IAN, amazing, still no 'grip' to this Thread.
MJ224 (14th March 2017)
Old 15th March 2017

OK - ADMINISTRATORS/MODERATORS - whatever. You surely must address the pitiful response to the question. Look at other sites and see that many have a healthy response to the 'weekly/monthly' completions they run. There is a big number of snappers who are Members or just are looking at THIS site. Any ideas?????
Old 15th March 2017

Liked 667 Times in 394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
OK - ADMINISTRATORS/MODERATORS - whatever. You surely must address the pitiful response to the question. Look at other sites and see that many have a healthy response to the 'weekly/monthly' completions they run. There is a big number of snappers who are Members or just are looking at THIS site. Any ideas?????
I'm sorry but I have to take issue with you.

There is not a "pitiful response". The response, or lack of one reflects the interests of the active membership. Comparison with "other sites" is meaningless.This is a probably a "niche" site as it is a brand specific User Group not a general photography site although all interests are catered for in the range of boards available.

Looking (a few minutes ago) at the site statistics at the bottom of the "Forum Index" will show this quite clearly.

Total Members (meaningless as it is only the number of people who have signed up since the site started in 2007) 4,135.

Active Members. 352.

Members signed in today. 166

Number of threads in non equipment related boards.

Photo Fair 18,923

Looking For Improvement 1,856

Chalenges 310

I'm with Ricoh in not regarding photography as a competitive activity. It's my hobby for relaxation and escape from the increasingly competitive world in which we live. There are no "rules" for what makes a "good" photo it is a matter of what you find attractive, interesting, amusing etc. ie. it's subjective.

On the other hand photos shared in Photo Fair provide the opportunity to see what others are producing and learn from their work and technique or see results to aspire to without having to get into being "competitive" or "challenged".

From the statistics above I perceive that a majority have similar views. I don't have any objection to the group having competitions/challenges, just not something that interests me.

Just my thoughts.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (16th March 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Barr1e (16th March 2017), pault (16th March 2017), Ricoh (16th March 2017), The Technician (16th March 2017)
Old 16th March 2017

Liked 843 Times in 499 Posts

Further to Peter's post, I think the worst form of competition is that generated by Flickr, Twitter, Instagram etc, in trying to get more followers and more back slapping, and it's self induced purgatory which makes it laughable. I use Flickr merely as a dumping ground and rarely go on Twitter and Instagramm.

By comparison the e-group photo challenge is harmless fun for a lot of people, and looking for ways of generating interest can't be knocked.

I suggested this earlier, and I'll mention it again for continuity, I would recommend 'popular vote' and allow comments to be interspersed with images. The winner of the democratic vote sets the next challenge. Topics could possibly be chosen to challenge things like composition, expression, low key, high key, ie things we can all learn from by viewing other's work and from the comments.

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Wee man (18th March 2017)
AMc (16th March 2017)
Old 16th March 2017

Liked 404 Times in 272 Posts

We had a "competition" running for several years which was judged by popular vote. Sure, there were some aspects that were clumsy, some which might have been different with the benefit of hindsight, and some which were there for what seemed like good reasons.

It was very popular early on, with a new challenge pretty much every month I think. For some reason entries just started dropping off, I suspect a few of the regulars kept on entering just to keep the thing going. Eventually everybody just got bored and there were few entries and few votes. The last challenge in the old format originally had 2 entries which made it a bit of a problem for the organiser to sort out a top 3! That was challenge number 59.

After some discussion we introduced the new format and it did well for a while, but again the enthusiasm seems to have just drifted away. We are now at number 90 - to be honest I am quite surprised there have been so many in the newer format.

All the history is still there to see in the Challenges section of the forum. I really don't know what we should do to resurrect interest - but I wonder whether it is worthwhile anyway if the interest declines after a few rounds. Perhaps it is just that it doesn't suit us as a bunch of people, or maybe that we should refresh the format every now and then. We managed 30-odd across 3 years in the current format which isn't bad.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
OM USer (16th March 2017)
MJ224 (16th March 2017)
Old 16th March 2017

Peter - take a look at the Pentax Site - that's fairly 'Niche' . They successfully run very relaxed 'competitions'. I am sorry, but no one has answered my principle point. Make it clear and easy to upload any pic to this site
MJ224 (16th March 2017)
Old 16th March 2017

Whatever peoples thoughts are, we (if I may be so bold) run a monthly competition for quite some time. Successfully I would say. (not broke, don't fix)

Only problem is that it is not running NOW.

OK not many people enter, but that's the choice of members. We can tweak the voting etc, but in the end if only 10 members submit then that's what we deal with. At least there is a competition if that's the right word.

I much prefer the word "challenge" as the forum says, the competitive nature of the challenge is actually (virtually) zero.

As said those who do not want to enter, then don't. No problems. But my guess is that if their preferred subject is the months challenge they might submit something special, something for us to learn from.

That is what the challenge is about is it not.

Paul, might meet you this Monday at NEC, can we set a subject for March I know you are busy jetting around the world, and understand time is short. Maybe it should be easier to set subject.

My worms are in good nature and only want to get this "challenge" on the road again, no offense is intended. I can help in any way needed, I have the time and inclination as I am retired, may not have an expertise, but want to learn.....................

Mark J
Old 16th March 2017

A thought is that maybe a years worth of subjects might be agreed by members at the beginning of the year..............

Could easily be voted/agreed if only by a dozen people if necessary, certainly those who have intentions and want to enter the challenges.............