Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 100 Times in 59 Posts
Re: Technical perfection doesn't truly matter

For anyone still interested in the original statement, perhaps the contents of this link will strike a chord.

http://blog.alexschneideman.net/on-p...aphy-magazine/

David
Ricoh (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 996 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
For anyone still interested in the original statement, perhaps the contents of this link will strike a chord.

http://blog.alexschneideman.net/on-p...aphy-magazine/

David
David,

Thanks for posting.

The mention of an artist in his argument suggests a split. Assuming the artist to be professional, the image will have to sell and so must appeal to prospective buyers. An amateur photographer might enjoy praise for his image but, in its absence, will probably still have the same appreciation of his mage.

Harold
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 844 Times in 500 Posts

Ernst Haas once said, “The camera doesn’t make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE.”

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 876 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Getting back to the original question:

Where is the image created? Is it in the mind of the photographer prior to framing? Is it in the viewfinder? Is it in PP? Probably a blend/combination. It could be that what the photographer intended never existed and never will but at least the flavour of it may be the end result.
Speaking for myself I would say that in 99% of cases the image geminates 'in the mind of the photographer'.

We usually set out with some idea of how the final image should look, and what it should include. Personally I find that choosing what to exclude is far more difficult, especially when it comes to landscapes. Give me an ultra wide angle lens and my first instinct will be to try to cram everything in; it is only later that I see the error of my ways and crop out what I don't want.

There is also the challenge of excluding unwanted and distracting objects from the scene.

Just occasionally I take a photograph that shows something unexpected, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

I am often disappointed by what I see when the image materialises, (whether from film or digital), possibly because it doesn't match up to my expectations at the time, but stumbling on my old images I am often impressed by them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post

It used to be/still is a sign of a pro at weddings, etc. that they use a medium format camera with a waist-level VF.

Part of the creation of the image is (e.g. landscape) is chosing the season/weather/time of day/night/.

Yes; I much prefer using medium format with a waist level finder for composition, although I would concede that the EVF on my EM1 and EM5 cameras provides many practical advantages.

One of the greatest disadvantages of a WLF is the lack of metering on most MF cameras, although this provides a perfect opportunity to use a hand-held meter.

I was lucky enough to find a metered WLF Loupe for my Mamiya RZ a few weeks ago, so I am keen to try that out in the wild. I just need a few weightlifting lessons first.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Ricoh (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 996 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Give me an ultra wide angle lens and my first instinct will be to try to cram everything in.
If you paid good money for that lens, you want to get the full value.

Actually, I find an images of approaching 3:1 panoramic, with interest at around 1/3 & 2/3 works very well.

Harold
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 844 Times in 500 Posts

Watching a YouTube video, 'One roll of film' I think it was called, a small bunch or togs set about taking just 12 images each using 120 with medium format cams. They most definitely couldn't trigger for a 'might be good' type of photo, they had to think long and hard with the aim of capturing 12 keepers. So 99% is an appropriate figure if discipline is firmly switched on. I actually don't see any problem using a hand held meters, for one reason it teaches the user how to interpret exposure. But each to their own, many didital togs believe the histogram or the way the little inbuilt TV screen looks and trust the camera knows best.

on flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts

I have an old lighting book from 1996 in which quotes photographer Jeff Procopowicz: "a great picture which is technically great is a great picture, and a great picture that is technically flawed is still a great picture, too"

I agree with that.

My Flickr

"A race, a fight or a game can be won but to call something 'the best' in the arts is absurd" Sir Alec Guinness, 28th March 1995
iso (1 Week Ago)