Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th September 2017

Liked 1,120 Times in 650 Posts
Akureyri 1

Some views from Akureyri in N Iceland, th second city, population 10,000. About 35 miles south of the Arctic Circle.

Looking north from the quayside, up the fjord:

[IMG][/IMG]

And in colour, slightly different view:

[IMG][/IMG]

Akureyri's Whale Tail sculpture. Plenty of whales in the sea north of Akureyri, popular place to go whaling watching from.

[IMG][/IMG]

Same view, in monochrome:

[IMG][/IMG]

Any comments, all welcome.
Thanks for looking.
Old 10th September 2017

Liked 1,774 Times in 669 Posts
Re: Akureyri 1

Keith the colour shots are nice enough but the light was not with you on the sculpture.

The mono shots need a lot more work IMO to get them really working.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 10th September 2017

I played with the histogram a bit Alf, on Arctic Sky.

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't think it would be wise to take it further than that.

The light is what it is, on such a trip. If you wait around for it to improve, you find that the ship has left without you. I found it often rather strange light, and not what I would have wanted, ideally. The weather up there is not only changeable but changes very quickly indeed, and of course, the light likewise. Usually not for the better! In places like Isafjør∂ur, it's surrounded by high mountains, and you lose the sun (if it's out) for quite a big part of the day; that gives a flat yet sort of bright light, which is partly reflected from the fjord and the mountains across the fjord, at least when there's snow on them. The Icelanders seemed to be good at building their settlements in the shade of high mountains!
Old 10th September 2017

Keith I accept that light you get is what you get and that its not possible to hang around to better light es[ecially when travelling with other peope or when you have to catch a boat or plane etc.

That edit is better IMO the sea now looks like it was sparkling and there are more details in the sky
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:
KeithL (11th September 2017)
Old 11th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
Keith I accept that light you get is what you get and that its not possible to hang around to better light es[ecially when travelling with other peope or when you have to catch a boat or plane etc.

That edit is better IMO the sea now looks like it was sparkling and there are more details in the sky
M'mm. I quite liked the Whale Tail in silhouette. I might play with it a bit more. But of course, it's into the sun; not ideal position. And I wasn't going to wade out into the fjord, even though the M5 is supposed to be waterproof! Seriously, if you did get out into the fjord, there's a lot of clutter behind the Whale Tail then.

The joys of photography!

BTW - I thought you might comment on the horizon not being dead horizontal....... It's the brennivin, you know!
Old 11th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
M'mm. I quite liked the Whale Tail in silhouette. I might play with it a bit more. But of course, it's into the sun; not ideal position. And I wasn't going to wade out into the fjord, even though the M5 is supposed to be waterproof! Seriously, if you did get out into the fjord, there's a lot of clutter behind the Whale Tail then.

The joys of photography!

BTW - I thought you might comment on the horizon not being dead horizontal....... It's the brennivin, you know!
The silhouette is fine its the blown sky areas but that not easy to deal with whithout grads
You didnt need to go to f10 for the shot to be in focus were you using full auto?

Old 11th September 2017

Quote:
The silhouette is fine its the blown sky areas but that not easy to deal with whithout grads
You didnt need to go to f10 for the shot to be in focus were you using full auto?
Probably P. I'd been photographing in between buildings, quite dim, so I probably wound the ISO up and forgot to wind it down again.
Old 11th September 2017

Liked 3,441 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Since I moved to u43 I hardly ever get blown highlights since I have turned on highlight/shadow warnings and have the rear wheel set to exp comp. It's completely instinctive now for me to spin the rear wheel until I'm just under the point of showing highlight blinkies. Simples...
The Following User Liked This Post:
alfbranch (11th September 2017)
Old 11th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Since I moved to u43 I hardly ever get blown highlights since I have turned on highlight/shadow warnings and have the rear wheel set to exp comp. It's completely instinctive now for me to spin the rear wheel until I'm just under the point of showing highlight blinkies. Simples...
Interesting Paul (thx), but according to the histogram, neither colour nor BW version has blown highlights; in the colour version, the shadow areas are the problem. I probably brightened them a little too much, but the histogram that I was just checking was of what I posted!
Old 11th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Interesting Paul (thx), but according to the histogram, neither colour nor BW version has blown highlights; in the colour version, the shadow areas are the problem. I probably brightened them a little too much, but the histogram that I was just checking was of what I posted!
I stand corrected they are not blown just not showing the detail available

Not my shot 2017-30 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Old 12th September 2017

Thx Alf. I think I brightened it a little after conversion. Probably a tad too much. I looked at it briefly last night, and resolved to see it back a little this morning and re-post it. And you beat me to it! I think I'd lighten the very dark clouds a little; I think they detract from the Whale Tail. Would you agree?

I think this is as far as I'd want to go; there's detail in the clouds, but the big dark clouds don't overwhelm the Whale Tail.

[IMG][/IMG]

What do you think?
Old 12th September 2017

Liked 1,050 Times in 641 Posts

Are these taken with the original EM5? I've just done a web search but can't find a value for dMAX, however from my own experience of using the EM5, I find it somewhat constrained (re post #10 above).

on flickr
Old 13th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Are these taken with the original EM5? I've just done a web search but can't find a value for dMAX, however from my own experience of using the EM5, I find it somewhat constrained (re post #10 above).
Yes, it is, Steve. I've never felt quite as at home with it as I did with the Canon 50D that I had previously (after a long line of Canon DSLRs). I can't explain why, but I could 'take liberties' with the 50D that I can't with the M5. I prefer the PL7 that I also have, with the exception of it being viewfinderless (Although I have the plug in one), and I tend to do better with it.

Do you still have your M5?
Old 13th September 2017

Liked 1,050 Times in 641 Posts

Yes still have the EM5 MkI; all my recently added slow shutter speed pictures were taken using it. It does well, but to make the most of the dynamic range one needs good light and appropriate exposure. I also have a GX7 and an EM5, I can't quite remember why I've ended up with so many 16MP u4/3 cameras. I should sell the GX7.

on flickr
Old 13th September 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Yes still have the EM5 MkI; all my recently added slow shutter speed pictures were taken using it. It does well, but to make the most of the dynamic range one needs good light and appropriate exposure. I also have a GX7 and an EM5, I can't quite remember why I've ended up with so many 16MP u4/3 cameras. I should sell the GX7.
Yes, I've found the same: in good light its images look great; as soon as it's even slightly dull, they look very flat and lifeless, much more so than when I used the 50D. And I find it not easy to 'pull them back', so to speak. I wonder if it's something to do with the processing engine; I can't seen why the sensor should do that. But i wouldn't go back to the heavy old DSLR now; getting too long in the tooth for that.

Have you tried a PL7 or a Pen F? If it weren't so pricey, I would liked a Pen F.