Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 15th April 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Power battery holder selected, body battery drains

Has anyone else notice this? I got my OM-D back from having it's bezel fixed the other day, and as the weather has been getting better and I've not just been taking pics of the kids inside, I fitted the full battery grip and put the second battery in PBH and set the camera to drain this battery first. When you open the menu it clearly shows top left in green the PBH battery charge.

Today I was heading out and wanted to take a light pack - so took off the power battery grip and just left the primary part of the HLD-6 for extra grip - leaving the (as I thought) untouched battery in the body. I fired up the camera while I was out for it cough, splutter, and tell me the battery was drained!

At home now I check the battery in the PBH (which is supposed to have been used for the last week) - full of charge!

I've tried the camera with no battery in the body, and just one in the PBH - it works as normal, so obviously can take power from the PBH, but the last week when it was supposed to be doing so, it wasn't, it was taking it from the body.

I'll try again this week and change the priority - set the camera to drain the body first, then check to see if it did this or it drained the PBH instead - if so it looks like at least my OM-D has a software glitch - just wondered if anyone else has seen this in way?

Thanks all, James
Old 15th April 2013

Thanked 1,190 Times in 940 Posts
Liked 1,597 Times in 936 Posts
Re: Power battery holder selected, body battery drains

I make a point of not leaving the camera battery in the camera for too long & cycle it out in the grip at least after two grip battery changes to make sure it gets cycled & to be sure a full battery is in the camera (using PBH first setting).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 15th April 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ross the batteries were both well and truly full to start - but the camera was using the wrong one to power it.
Old 15th April 2013

Thanked 1,190 Times in 940 Posts
Liked 1,597 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetset95 View Post
Ross the batteries were both well and truly full to start - but the camera was using the wrong one to power it.
I haven't noticed anything strange with mine, but then I haven't tried using it the other way round either (camera first). Sorry I can't offer anything more helpful.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 15th April 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No need to apologise, thank you for your response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetset95 For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (15th April 2013)
Old 15th April 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks to Ross for his response above, I wonder has anyone else seen this phenomenon where the camera selects the wrong battery to drain, or is it just me and a call to Oly support due again

Thanks all, James
Old 15th April 2013

Liked 59 Times in 38 Posts

I had a power fault with my OMD EM5.

Insert fully charged battery into the camera, attach complete grip with no battery in grip. Turn camera off. Battery would drain flat within 48 hours.

I sent the camera, grip and battery to Olympus and they fixed a fault in both the camera and grip under warranty.

Maybe try this combo and see if your battery is being drained too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Invicta For This Useful Post:
Jetset95 (15th April 2013)
Old 15th April 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
I had a power fault with my OMD EM5.

Insert fully charged battery into the camera, attach complete grip with no battery in grip. Turn camera off. Battery would drain flat within 48 hours.

I sent the camera, grip and battery to Olympus and they fixed a fault in both the camera and grip under warranty.

Maybe try this combo and see if your battery is being drained too.
Thanks Invicata I'll try this out also.

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)
Old 16th April 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Just tried mine after a couple of weeks with the portrait grip on (an unusual thing for me to do!). Today the battery in the camera is as fresh as when I started out and the grip battery is down by one bar.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 16th April 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Stephen, it's sound more like I have a slight problem with either my body or the grip - both purchased second hand, but no reason to believe anyone knew there was a problem with them. I'm just a bit that I only noticed this after sending my camera off to Oly to fix the cracked bezel...

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)

Tags
battery, battery priority, pbh