Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 8th January 2017

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Question A GOOD Lightroom alternative

Good afternoon all,

I was wondering if you have any recommendations for an alternative software to Lightroom.

I have been using Lightroom for 5 years now but find it more and more clunky. Usually I edit my photos right after I shoot, and more often than not I have 1000 + images to go through, rate, and then edit.

So what I am looking for is something with rating / sorting / edit / batch export capabilities.

I came across Corel Aftershot Pro 3 and think will download the free trial. Does anyone use it?

Your thoughts/recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Best,
T
Old 8th January 2017

Liked 110 Times in 97 Posts
Re: A GOOD Lightroom alternative

Hi T - Yes I downloaded it couple of weeks ago. Originally worked fine, just right for the straightforward jobs I want to do. However having spent an hour or two doing some Rating stuff, next time I opened up I had seemed to have lost the File. Actually it still exists, but apart from the first pic, I can't get it to reopen the whole (Rated) File. I must have pressed a wrong button somewhere. Having said that it does feel like a straightforward program. For Free it's worth a try. Could you PM me with your thoughts?
Old 8th January 2017
Codger

Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

I have been round the same loop as Telinhas and become increasingly unhappy with Lightroom. The whole import business is terribly slow and clunky and you are dependent on a huge proprietary database which contains absolutely everything. It's never going to work with Pro Capture on the EM1 MkII! You would spend hours or days importing before you cull images.

There doesn't seem to be another all-in-one solution which has both decent editing and cataloguing (and Adobe's raw processing isn't always the best).

I'm looking at a completely different workflow.

Stage 1: Images are transferred from SD card to an Import folder using Olympus Viewer 3. It does this pretty well and knows what has already been copied over. It can also create folders by date which I like. Not very fast but quicker than Lightroom

Stage 2: Images in the Import folder are culled using FastRawViewer (http://www.fastrawviewer.com/). This has all the tools you need to inspect and cull images very quickly and will show you the real histograms of raw images - it works with JPEGS too. It's cheap and well documented (about 15, free trial available). If you are in a hurry, you can send images straight to your editor of choice. Images can be colour coded and starred via sidecar XMP files and Photo Supreme picks this up in the next stage.

Stage 3: After culling, move images / folders to the main storage folder, and catalogue using Photo Supreme or similar product. Gives you all the keywording and searching facilities you could want. Cost is about 100 so not cheap but again a free trial is available. There are a number of similar applications but this seems to work for me. It's also open architecture so you are not locked into it.

Stage 4: Process images using Affinity Photo - I bought it for 30, now gone back to 40 :-( Obviously not all images which survived so far will be processed immediately. Processed images go to an Export folder together with associated .afphoto files which allow you to re-edit the image, going right back to the raw processing stages if you want. This is also indexed by Photo Supreme and all associated files can be linked together. Obviously you can use any raw processor or editor you prefer.

This is still being worked on but I think it's the way to go, for me at least. Stage 1 is the weakest part and needs some more work but is OK for now.

HTH

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 8th January 2017

Liked 151 Times in 90 Posts

I could never get on with LR

I use Imatch for cataloguing and DXO as a Raw developer

regards
Andy

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://shenstonephoto.blogspot.com/
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
The Following User Says Thank You to shenstone For This Useful Post:
iso (9th January 2017)
Old 8th January 2017

Liked 2,408 Times in 866 Posts

AfterShot Pro (ASP) isn't bad per se - the problem is Corel who now own it. It started off life as Bible and I used for several years. However, the original Bible team were slow to get version 5 completed and they eventually sold out to Corel who have neglected it severely - almost making it "shelfware". They fired the original Texas-based team and took it in-house in Canada and lost lots of expertise along the way. These days they are at least releasing updates, but they are infrequent and you end up waiting a long time for new raw-file support. It's also outclassed in features and results by LR and others.

Personally, I still think that LR is about the best, all things considered. You need top-class hardware to get the best out of it including lots of RAM, a SSD for the catalogue files and a decent-spec CPU. I think the nearest alternative is probably Capture One. I have a friend who uses it and likes it a lot.
Old 9th January 2017

Thanked 1,014 Times in 797 Posts
Liked 1,061 Times in 661 Posts

I'm a Capture One (Pro 10) user (as others here are also), but don't use it for importing or batch file processing, however that is all possible with it though. It is possible to download a free trial.

Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 9th January 2017

Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
... It started off life as Bible ...
I think that's only available as a very old version....

I agree LR is excellent. I use it with 7200rpm disks rather than SSD and don't really have any performance issues that bother me.

There's a rivalry between LR and CO that seems a bit like the old Windows/Linux wars... seems to me they're both good and it comes down to personal preference. Martin Evening did a comparison between them that purports to dismiss the claim that CO renders better than LR. Here's a link:

http://lightroomkillertips.com/brill...pture-one-pro/

I'm not a fan of Scott Kelby's writing, but this was the first link that Google threw up.
Old 9th January 2017
Administrator

Liked 936 Times in 573 Posts

Try FastStone. It's FREE

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
iso (9th January 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (22nd January 2017)
Old 9th January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post

I agree LR is excellent. I use it with 7200rpm disks rather than SSD and don't really have any performance issues that bother me.

There's a rivalry between LR and CO that seems a bit like the old Windows/Linux wars... seems to me they're both good and it comes down to personal preference. Martin Evening did a comparison between them that purports to dismiss the claim that CO renders better than LR. Here's a link:

http://lightroomkillertips.com/brill...pture-one-pro/

I'm not a fan of Scott Kelby's writing, but this was the first link that Google threw up.
Interesting article, but it seems the writer believes only Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fuji cameras are worthy of mentioning when it comes to discussing how to best use them with LR!
Old 9th January 2017

Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Interesting article, but it seems the writer believes only Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fuji cameras are worthy of mentioning when it comes to discussing how to best use them with LR!
At least that's a step forward from only mentioning Canon and Nikon...
Old 9th January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
Sorry, stupid spell checker - I meant Bibble of course!
Old 11th January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Have had a play with this - I rather like it. Thanks Graham.
So far the only downside I can see is that all that slider stuff is not immediately available on screen and you have to click each individual tool (Unless there is a workround on that Graham?) But I like the familiar interface.
(Will add it to the numerous bits of software I have downloaded, trying to find the 'ultimate one for me').
Old 20th January 2017

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Try Affinity photo. works very well. from few months is available also for Windows.
Old 21st January 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I have used it now for a couple of weeks. It's good! The GIF is very easy to use and the Contact Sheet process is just fantastic.
Old 5th February 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Have had a play with this - I rather like it. Thanks Graham.
So far the only downside I can see is that all that slider stuff is not immediately available on screen and you have to click each individual tool (Unless there is a workround on that Graham?) But I like the familiar interface.
(Will add it to the numerous bits of software I have downloaded, trying to find the 'ultimate one for me').
Update: Graham, keep finding good things (for me), about faststone. eg, so easy to move or copy stuff from the open file to another, and that you can keep available a whole load of such 'subsidiary' files to come back to.

Also if you delete a pic from a folder - it's deleted (after suitable questioning), rather than hanging about until the whole folder is closed/opened.

Only frustration so far is getting no answer to an email question. I will get the Manual pdf converted to hard copy (there are some great deals around), but have asked them if there is an update to the 'current' one which is 5 years out of date. no reply.