Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 24th June 2015

Liked 1,648 Times in 576 Posts
How do I alter a Myset quickly?

I have two Mysets set on my E-M1. Myset 1 is my 'default' set-up for normal shooting and Myset 2 is my set-up for BIF. However, I am still continuously trying to improve my BIF settings, which means that I sometimes wish to change one of the menu settings.

I had hoped that I would be able to press Myset 2 to get me into BIF mode and then change the desired setting by entering the menu. However, as soon as I press the menu button the camera reverts to standard mode. It seems that I have to turn the camera on in its default mode and then make all the BIF settings such as Shutter priority instead of Aperture, IBIS Off, C-AF etc. When I have done that I save it as Myset 2. I then have to remember to change everything back to my standard setting again and it is remarkable how I often I forget to change one or more settings.

Surely there must be a quicker way of doing this?

Ron
Old 24th June 2015

Liked 954 Times in 285 Posts
Re: How do I alter a Myset quickly?

I have the mysets I use assigned to some of the settings I don't use on the mode dial. A turn of the dial gets you into the myset and them you can change settings in the usual way.
The only thing is remembering which position on the mode which myset is.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to andym For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (24th June 2015)
Old 24th June 2015

Thanks Andy. I have my two Mysets assigned to the two function buttons on the front of the camera near the lens mount. I can toggle between them quickly there.

However, the problem is that I am still experimenting with the BIF settings in Myset 2. I want to know how to permanently change one setting within that Myset without having to reset the camera settings from scratch and then save those settings as the Myset. I don't know if I am explaining it very clearly?

Ron
Old 24th June 2015

Liked 376 Times in 155 Posts

I would switch the dial to A (for example), press 'Menu', Camera 1, Myset/Reset, Myset2, Set, OK
Make the changes then press 'Menu', Camera 1, Myset/Reset, Myset2, press right arrow, OK
Then to test make some changes to some settings before pressing the relevant function button for Myset2 to see if it works.

E-M5 II, 7.5, 9-18, 12-40, 17, 35-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 100-400, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
Old 24th June 2015

Thanks David. I still have the same problem that as soon as I press the menu button to overwrite the Myset the camera reverts to its standard, start up settings. It seems that the only way to do it is to manually change all the settings and then save those settings as the Myset.

I suppose the best way is for me to go out for the day with the camera set up for BIF and tweak the settings to see what works best. I can then save those settings as Myset 2.

Ron
Old 24th June 2015

Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts

Menu->Camera1->Reset/Myset- SET after you made your changes? Not Reset, that wipes it out.
Old 24th June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvasc View Post
Menu->Camera1->Reset/Myset- SET after you made your changes? Not Reset, that wipes it out.
Thanks. Yes, that is what I do.

To try approaching this question from another angle. How would other users go about changing one setting in a Myset, assuming that the Myset is substantially different from the default camera setting?

Ron
Old 24th June 2015

I have my myset for action/BIF set to S mode on the dial. For instance say I want to change from low sequential shooting to single shot. I can do this by the SCP. Then Menu Camera1Myset/ResetMyset1 Set. And it sets. I think I left out a step in my last post, sorry. You have to push the right arrow button, once in Myset1, on the D-pad, (as Nikon calls it), to enter the area that makes the set stick.

What are you trying to change?
The Following User Says Thank You to pvasc For This Useful Post:
Old 24th June 2015

Oh Just noticed something. You press the "menu" button to overwrite settings? Should be the "OK" button in the center of the Arrow pad, Olympus name for it).
Old 24th June 2015

Quote:
What are you trying to change?
As I said, I am using Myset 2 for my BIF settings and I am experimenting with different settings such as Sequential H or Sequential L, nine AF points or single, etc. I can use Myset 2 to enter BIF mode and then use the SCP to change those settings but if I try to save them as a new Myset 2 the camera reverts to the start-up settings as soon as I press the menu button.

Edit. I think we cross posted there. I press the menu button to access the Myset menu not to confirm the Myset setting.

Ron
Old 24th June 2015

I have been fiddling. I have set Myset 1 for BIF, I assigned it to the Fn1 button, and removed it from S mode on the dial. I press the Fn1 button to activate myset 1. Made some changes, saved them to Myset 1. Menu'd out to the SCP. I had to press Fn1 to activate Myset 1 again, because camera was at basic, or settings at which my last picture was taken without using Myset 1. Any help?
Old 24th June 2015

Quote:
I have been fiddling. I have set Myset 1 for BIF, I assigned it to the Fn1 button, and removed it from S mode on the dial. I press the Fn1 button to activate myset 1. Made some changes, saved them to Myset 1. Menu'd out to the SCP. I had to press Fn1 to activate Myset 1 again, because camera was at basic, or settings at which my last picture was taken without using Myset 1. Any help?
Thanks for your help. The bit in bold in your quote is where something is going wrong for me. As I understand it, in order to save them as Myset 2, I have to press the menu button to access the Myset menu. Doing this immediately makes the camera revert to its standard settings, which I have also saved as Myset 1. That means that it changes from my BIF settings such as Shutter Priority, C-AF, IBIS Off, 9 target points to my standard settings of Aperture Priority, S-AF, IBIS On and single small target. I am obviously being thick and doing something wrong but I can't work out what.

Ron
Old 24th June 2015

I have the M-10, but have manuals for all, nice to look at before you buy. The procedure is the same for both. If the camera is resetting itself on the way in to set the new settings in Myset, I think, there is something wrong, you can't save any custom settings to a myset then, and mine doesn't do that. Perhaps a call to Olympus is needed, or we are both missing something.
Old 25th June 2015

Oh well, it seems that nobody else has the problem, so I assume it must be a fault with my camera. It looks as if a trip to Portugal is called for.

Ron
Old 25th June 2015

Liked 929 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Oh well, it seems that nobody else has the problem, so I assume it must be a fault with my camera. It looks as if a trip to Portugal is called for.

Ron
Ron,

Do you have anyone local to you who has an E-M1?

If so, it may be worth comparing two cameras side by side in case there's a simple solution before sending yours off to Portugal.

Dave.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (25th June 2015)