Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 6th July 2012

Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts
Focus Point

Good morming people, I have a question about the Focus point on the OMD. In fact 2! Is it possible to change the size to smaller and how do you stop it from moving around the grid when ever it wants to?
I, being a sad person with loads of spare paper and too much time on my hands, have download the manual to read but I must be missing were it is in it.

Many thanks.

Graham
Old 6th July 2012

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Re: Focus Point

I know what you mean. In the Auto mode it reads the full frame but in P, A, S and M modes you can set it manually to what you wish. Go to the Super menu by pressing the button to the right of the hotshoe, choose the focus grid and the central rectangle (if that is what you prefer) by moving the arrow buttons. You'll quickly find out how it works.
Old 6th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Unfortunately, you can't reduce the size of the focus point, except in manual focus magnified view. However, a crumb of comfort is that it seems to be pretty precise on the focus point being the dead centre of the square.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 6th July 2012

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts

I can understand that the focal 'point' grid is a bit big in the auto but why would anyone want to change it in the other modes? I thought the smaller rectangle is quite narrow and you can alter its position in the focus grid to suit your choice.
Old 6th July 2012

Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Unfortunately, you can't reduce the size of the focus point, except in manual focus magnified view. However, a crumb of comfort is that it seems to be pretty precise on the focus point being the dead centre of the square.
Oh yes you can, I hadn't realised until it was pointed out to me by Zuiko

If you set Fn2 to multi-use Magnify; press Info and or Fn2 until the green square appears, then hit Info, and you can zoom the green square to different sizes. press info or Fn2 again and it remembers the size even when you change modes.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 6th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Unfortunately this doesn't work if you have the histogram or highlight/shadow clippings display, which is how I work.

My Flickr site
Old 6th July 2012

Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately this doesn't work if you have the histogram or highlight/shadow clippings display, which is how I work.
So do I broadly, If I can stand the larger focus area then I just carry on as normal.

If on the other hand I want something more precise, I leave the camera set to histogram for general framing, zooming exposure control etc. but just before firing the shutter, a short press of Fn2 displays the smaller focus area and after release a longer press resumes the histogram display ready for the next shot.

Not ideal perhaps, but the best I've found so far.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 6th July 2012

Thanked 1,018 Times in 850 Posts
Liked 780 Times in 458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
So do I broadly, If I can stand the larger focus area then I just carry on as normal.

If on the other hand I want something more precise, I leave the camera set to histogram for general framing, zooming exposure control etc. but just before firing the shutter, a short press of Fn2 displays the smaller focus area and after release a longer press resumes the histogram display ready for the next shot.

Not ideal perhaps, but the best I've found so far.
Yes that's what I do. Works OK for me.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 7th July 2012

Thanked 1,086 Times in 855 Posts
Liked 1,218 Times in 751 Posts

The other way I get the focus point & size is when I use the touch to focus setting to give me the focus point exactly where I want it & the size can be adjusted at the right hand side slider. After that, I can still use the EVF if I want. The smallest setting (at 14 X) is ideal for photographing birds in trees & concentrating on their eyes.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 9th July 2012

Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Thanks for the help I will try all your ideas out to see which one I prefer.

Many thanks

Graham
Old 9th July 2012

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts

Thanks to all who contributed to this most useful thread. This is just the sort of information I am struggling to find in the manual. I am most impressed that it is possible to adjust the size of the focus point - a most useful feature when trying to focus on a small bird and not on a leaf in front or behind it.

Having taken delivery of my OMD a week ago I have sorted out most of the "standard" settings but I think the learning curve will continue for some time as I explore the more subtle capabilities of this remarkable camera.

Archie
Old 9th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

To be picky, I'm not sure that this alters the size of the "focus point" at all. After all, the focus point is just that - a point. It will always be in the centre of the box, no matter what size the box is. You cannot adjust the position of that point within the constraints of any of the fixed-size 35 squares, or AF Targets as Olympus calls them (p44/45 of the manual).

What it does do is allows you to aim with more accuracy.

My Flickr site
Old 9th July 2012

Liked 955 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
To be picky, I'm not sure that this alters the size of the "focus point" at all. After all, the focus point is just that - a point. It will always be in the centre of the box, no matter what size the box is. You cannot adjust the position of that point within the constraints of any of the fixed-size 35 squares, or AF Targets as Olympus calls them (p44/45 of the manual).

Tend to agree with you Stephen.In my mind the focus box is square ,the box you see after magnifying and setting to x14 is oblong which I think is just showing the magnified size.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 9th July 2012

Thanked 1,086 Times in 855 Posts
Liked 1,218 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Tend to agree with you Stephen.In my mind the focus box is square ,the box you see after magnifying and setting to x14 is oblong which I think is just showing the magnified size.
Thanks, I'll have to investigate that further, but it seems to select the birds in the branches better.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 9th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Thanks, I'll have to investigate that further, but it seems to select the birds in the branches better.
Perhaps because, by using a smaller box, there's less room for error when aiming. But if you could accurately estimate where the exact centre of any box were, you'd achieve more accurate focussing?

The other possibility, which I've just thought about, is that within any box the camera focusses on the closest object. So by using a smaller box, there's less room for the focus point to wander around.

My Flickr site