Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 31st January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flash Cable Meike MK-CB05

I've an E-3 and an FL-36. I bought an off camera flash cable secondhand made by Meike MK-CB05 off eBay. I didn't get any instructions and the company site does not provide any. The guy who sold it said it worked with his E-series camera and I don't doubt him. It's a hotshoe to hotshoe type. The problem is that when I use it the flash only offers me Auto and Manual modes - it doesn't offer TTL Auto. This is what you get when you use a camera without communication capability according to the FL-36 manual. I've continuity tested the 3 outer pins of the lead and they are correct and the pins are the correct pattern and spacing. However the main pin connection has an M7 diode wired in line - with the anode at the flash end, cathode at the camera end. Since it should really only be a through cable I can't think why this is there. I just wondered if anyone else had come across this with an off camera cable and had a reason for this.
Old 4th February 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,081 Times in 653 Posts
Re: Flash Cable Meike MK-CB05

The Olympus FL-CB05 provides the full capabilities of the flash off camera as it is a simple "extension lead"

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_FL-CB05.htm

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 5th February 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
The Olympus FL-CB05 provides the full capabilities of the flash off camera as it is a simple "extension lead"

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_FL-CB05.htm
Graham.
Thanks for the response. The Olympus cable is 102 from Olympus - this was 5.50 plus postage. I've tried bypassing the diode and it makes no difference. One thing I should say is this cable is 3.6m long when extended and just over a metre when coiled. I've used my digital meter to check and there is a 2.2ohm resistance over the length of the cable on each of the pinouts. I can only assume that it is this resistance that prevents full TTL Auto mode when using the cable.
Old 5th February 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,081 Times in 653 Posts

Just measured the resistance on my FL-CB05 and it's about 0.3 Ω

Try thoroughly cleaning the contacts. I've had some success cleaning contacts by rubbing them with Aluminium Foil.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
jamie allan (5th February 2012)
Old 5th February 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Jamie - hopefully you can get this sorted soon, but if not I can recommend one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flash-TTL-...ht_1799wt_1344

The same seller also does a 5 metre uncoiled version which doesn't seem to be available at the moment. I have both and they work perfectly.
jamie allan (5th February 2012)
Old 10th April 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Jamie
I have experienced exactly the same issue as you have done with the flash extension cord MK-CB05 from Meike
I also notice the diode M7 and moved the blue wire to the other end of the diode. It doesn't seem like the far end of the diode is attached to anything else than the blue wire (and why should it, as it's an extension cable)
Anyway that didn't solve my issue either.
I don't think that a slightly increased resistance would be the issue (mine is roughly 1 ohm), as to have such a low resistance to create any significan voltage drop would require a very large current drain indeed (according to Ohm's law). When TTL is dropping out, it's way before any kind of discharge and as such there will be no measurable current (at least it's neglectable)

I am more thinking of the pins, though the only sure way of detecting that, would be to dismantle the flash unit and the camera to measure "externally" to the cord, if you get my point

Have you found a solution to the issue in the mean time ?

Beste regards
Bo Seiffert
Old 10th April 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bo,
I didn't get a fix for this - I didn't really try as I'm sure the 2.2ohm resistance due to the 3.6m length of cable is the issue. I tried this cable on both my E-600 and E-3 with the exact same results. Note there is a 1ohm resistance between the earth connections at either end but a consistent 2.2ohm resistance between the 4 main conductors - if you cut out the M7 diode. I am using a Fluke 75 Digital Test Meter which is a pretty good testing device so I'm sure of my measurements. All 4 pins at the camera end protrude sufficiently for me to be sure they are making contact with the hotshoe metal pads and the 4 pins of the FL-36 appear to make contact with the metal pads at the flash end. I agree that it would not be a good idea to dismantle the camera/flash to confirm these connections. The other possibility is to cut the cable to say 1m, reconnect the connector and try that.