Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd April 2015

Liked 1,115 Times in 501 Posts
Election TV

Debate or debacle?

Seven people, seven points of view and not one in agreement who want to save the country.

In a nutshell, for me, these two incidents summed the whole thing up.

The comment from one of the contenders said it all: "This is depressing."

First, and it has to be a first, a politician speaking the truth?

Second, the young lady who had a rant, slamming the door on her way out. A golden opportunity missed.

I can think of no better come uppance for any politician, than when a target audience leave them to talk to an empty room.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (3rd April 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (3rd April 2015)
Old 3rd April 2015

Liked 1,184 Times in 696 Posts
Re: Election TV

I can only say, I couldn't be bothered to watch it. I'm sick of all the "Not me, him, not us, them" ranting and mudslinging. And the self-satisfied smug expression forever on Frogface makes me want to throw something heavy at the TV....and it's too good a TV to damage it!

I see that house prices in France are very cheap at the moment.......
Old 3rd April 2015

Liked 1,115 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I can only say, I couldn't be bothered to watch it.
Can't say I blame you, especially when "Thunderbirds are go!" was on at the same time slot.

Quote:
... I'm sick of all the "Not me, him, not us, them" ranting and mudslinging...
I'm in total agreement. This is what happens when you have nothing of value to add to the country's problem(s) mos of which arose from their own shortcomings.

Quote:
I see that house prices in France are very cheap at the moment.......
Two points in their favour, cheap housing and, they love the Scots.

All this is against them... cheese is bad for my cholestrol, I don't like wine (ers), they drive on the wrong side of the road, they speak English with a funny accent and, there are far too many Brits living there already.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 3rd April 2015

Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts

The points of view made during always come back to one of five statements

It's the current governments fault

It's the previous governments fault

It's the poors fault

It's the rich people fault

It's the foreigners faults

I find they never say anything constructive so have given up with all of them. Besides the same civil servants will be in place running the country independent of which bunch of loonies are in power.

E-620, 12-40 , 40-150 f4-5.6,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68406149@N08/
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Internaut (3rd April 2015), Naughty Nigel (3rd April 2015)
Old 3rd April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Can't say I blame you, especially when "Thunderbirds are go!" was on at the same time slot.

I'm in total agreement. This is what happens when you have nothing of value to add to the country's problem(s) mos of which arose from their own shortcomings.

Two points in their favour, cheap housing and, they love the Scots.

All this is against them... cheese is bad for my cholestrol, I don't like wine (ers), they drive on the wrong side of the road, they speak English with a funny accent and, there are far too many Brits living there already.
Well, you don't have to eat cheese or drink wine (I can't); and I don't care about which side of the roasd I drive on, having driven many thousands of miles (and kilometres/ kilometers!) abroad.
Old 3rd April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjward View Post

It's the poors fault

I find they never say anything constructive so have given up with all of them. Besides the same civil servants will be in place running the country independent of which bunch of loonies are in power.
Hear, hear! And we ought to take a leaf out of David Lloyd George's book, and "Sack the lot of 'em!"
Old 3rd April 2015

Liked 294 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjward View Post

It's the poors fault

Sums up politics nicely. I've long thought New Labour's electoral success boiled down largely to one thing: The antichrist understood that once you're first past the winning post, you have to be a government for everyone. All we have now is the politics of blame. In the aftermath of the election, I believe the politics of blame will continue to dominate, no matter who is living in Number 10.
Old 3rd April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Sums up politics nicely. I've long thought New Labour's electoral success boiled down largely to one thing: The antichrist understood that once you're first past the winning post, you have to be a government for everyone. All we have now is the politics of blame. In the aftermath of the election, I believe the politics of blame will continue to dominate, no matter who is living in Number 10.
And he did his best. I'm sure, especially given his strong commitment to his religion, he almost certainly also believed that what he did was the right thing to do.

All of the mudslinging in politics now is stupid and counterproductive. NO government is all good or all bad; and economics has been the subject of many theories and much academic and press debate; there is no right or wrong, it's all relative. Indeed, our press, IMHO, does enormous damage to politics and the well-being of the country, with its attempts to manipulate popular opinion, and undermine one party or other - usually Labour, given the RW leanings of most of our press. IMV, certain sections of the press have courted increasingly puerile "Yah-boo" politicking, and politicians have unfortunately responded in kind.

It really is time we had grown up discussions on what is best for ALL our people and our country in the future, so that the populace can see the real issues, and vote based on proper sound information instead of cant and propaganda.

But it won't happen. This country, and especially our ruling class, is so immured in propaganda that they believe it themselves - and that is the way to destruction. It will probably take a serious calamity for the country before they all wake up to what they are doing.
Old 3rd April 2015

Liked 709 Times in 263 Posts

I would have loved to have heard more of the opposite of austerity, spending our way out of trouble.
It worked after the depression of the twenties and after the second WW. Businesses need money to invest in research, in new plant, to create wealth and jobs, why cannot our political 'leaders' see the obvious and learn from history?
Gotta say that of them all, it was the two nationalists who impressed me the most.
Old 3rd April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I would have loved to have heard more of the opposite of austerity, spending our way out of trouble.
It worked after the depression of the twenties and after the second WW. Businesses need money to invest in research, in new plant, to create wealth and jobs, why cannot our political 'leaders' see the obvious and learn from history?
Gotta say that of them all, it was the two nationalists who impressed me the most.
Yes; and our local Green Party candidate, Professor Catherine Rowett, is a damned good candidate too. If only they were all like her.....