Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1st April 2015

Liked 1,289 Times in 760 Posts
What's in an election slogan? (A bit political)

In a letter to the i this morning, someone reported being somewhat bemused by the Conservative Party's battle bus for the election. It carries the slogan "Vote for Change".

As the man said.....they've been the government for the last five years...haven't they?
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Internaut (1st April 2015), OM USer (1st April 2015), Wally (1st April 2015)
Old 1st April 2015

Thanked 1,009 Times in 621 Posts
Liked 1,174 Times in 538 Posts
Re: What's in an election slogan? (A bit political)

It gets my vote.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 1st April 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,920 Times in 2,262 Posts
Liked 3,729 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
In a letter to the i this morning, someone reported being somewhat bemused by the Conservative Party's battle bus for the election. It carries the slogan "Vote for Change".

As the man said.....they've been the government for the last five years...haven't they?
I'll do exactly what they suggest!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st April 2015

Liked 1,407 Times in 953 Posts

Meanwhile, Labour's election slogan is "It is time to change Britain so it works for you....."

What is this 'change' thing about anyway?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st April 2015

Liked 1,289 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Meanwhile, Labour's election slogan is "It is time to change Britain so it works for you....."

What is this 'change' thing about anyway?
I believe it has something to do with Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Dr Jekyll wants your vote, then after the election, becomes Mr Hyde..... Dr Jekyll, of course, comes in various shades, whereas Mr Hyde is only ever an ugly, hairy, evil monster.
Old 1st April 2015

Then over in the Liberal Democrat camp we have "Look Left, Look Right, Cross Safely in This Election" - which sounds a bit like sitting on the fence to me!

Oh, and the Greens are saying "help us to turn up the volume". That's not very eco friendly is it?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st April 2015

Liked 98 Times in 63 Posts

Gotta love elections.

Being a relative young'un, nobody has any policies I'm interested in. I'm either too old, too young, earn too much, earn too little, am not married...

Another few years of seeing what a mess we can make. Even the thinking vote is difficult this time around for me.
Old 1st April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_kaholik View Post
Gotta love elections.

Being a relative young'un, nobody has any policies I'm interested in. I'm either too old, too young, earn too much, earn too little, am not married...

Another few years of seeing what a mess we can make. Even the thinking vote is difficult this time around for me.
I guess it all comes down to whether you like paying tax, how you like your taxes to be spent, and how much say you have over the matter.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st April 2015

Liked 291 Times in 80 Posts

It's clearly a misprint - it's meant to say "Vote for a change"
It's merely a plea for a better turn out on polling day.
Old 1st April 2015
Administrator

I guess that it also comes down to how much you care about disadvantaged sections of society that seem to be squeezed more than anyone else in order to reduce the deficit.

It can probably be simplified into do you recognize food banks as a sad indictment of our current society or regard them as irritating and politically inconvenient.

Or do you consider it's worth wrecking your tyres and suspension, risking a serious accident and watching our infrastructure disintegrate in order to save money by not repairing potholes.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st April 2015

Thanked 1,115 Times in 993 Posts
Liked 1,123 Times in 737 Posts

Watching from the sidelines for all these people and parties I cannot vote for. The ones I can vote for sound as if they went to the same how to be a proper politician training day and turned up late and then missed the afternoon session!

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (2nd April 2015), KeithL (2nd April 2015), Naughty Nigel (1st April 2015)
Old 1st April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I guess that it also comes down to how much you care about disadvantaged sections of society that seem to be squeezed more than anyone else in order to reduce the deficit.

It can probably be simplified into do you recognize food banks as a sad indictment of our current society or regard them as irritating and politically inconvenient.

Or do you consider it's worth wrecking your tyres and suspension, risking a serious accident and watching our infrastructure disintegrate in order to save money by not repairing potholes.
All agreed. Food banks in particular paint a very sad picture of our society, although I gather from local reports that many are abused for both political and pecuniary reasons.

However, at the opposite end of the political spectrum there seems to be a commonly held view that if you squeeze the so called 'rich' hard enough by imposing spiteful taxes the rest of us won't even need to get out of bed to go to work, which is just plain wrong. Dennis Healy had that idea back in the 1970's, and look where that got us?

I'm all for fair taxes for those who can afford to pay, but it is far too easy to get into a situation where the wealthy take their money and businesses abroad leaving those in the middle to pick up the tab. And with the costs of childcare, national insurance, income tax, travelling to work and so forth far too many people still find they are better off not working at all.

It can never be right to be better off on benefits than going out to work.

But how did we get into this situation in the first place? The loss of manufacturing industries during the 1980's may have been the start, but the fact is that for the past twenty years or so we have been exporting both our jobs and our wealth to China and the far east, whilst many of the big corporates have based themselves in tax havens to avoid our [quite reasonable in my view] corporation taxes.

How do we bring manufacturing and business back to the UK?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st April 2015

Liked 294 Times in 147 Posts

Ok... Cards on the table.... I'm a Labour man. In this election, I will vote Labour. I could vote for someone else, in protest, but I will choose to endorse an MP who has IMHO done a reasonable job in an area that always votes Labour anyway.

This election terrifies me! I see no good overall outcomes. If the Conservatives win, it appears Gideon is now embracing the kind of localism I support (Devo Manc, for example), but I fear i) the disadvantaged will be continue to be attacked and ii) we will exit Europe. OTOH, if the Milliphant Man can form a government, we may once again see an unnecessary threat to the Union! I'm at a loss as to why the aftermath of the Scottish No Vote was handled so badly by Westminster .
Old 2nd April 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
All agreed. Food banks in particular paint a very sad picture of our society, although I gather from local reports that many are abused for both political and pecuniary reasons.

However, at the opposite end of the political spectrum there seems to be a commonly held view that if you squeeze the so called 'rich' hard enough by imposing spiteful taxes the rest of us won't even need to get out of bed to go to work, which is just plain wrong. Dennis Healy had that idea back in the 1970's, and look where that got us?

I'm all for fair taxes for those who can afford to pay, but it is far too easy to get into a situation where the wealthy take their money and businesses abroad leaving those in the middle to pick up the tab. And with the costs of childcare, national insurance, income tax, travelling to work and so forth far too many people still find they are better off not working at all.

It can never be right to be better off on benefits than going out to work.

But how did we get into this situation in the first place? The loss of manufacturing industries during the 1980's may have been the start, but the fact is that for the past twenty years or so we have been exporting both our jobs and our wealth to China and the far east, whilst many of the big corporates have based themselves in tax havens to avoid our [quite reasonable in my view] corporation taxes.

How do we bring manufacturing and business back to the UK?
You are right, to a large degree our policy options are limited by the global mobility of the extremely wealthy. An interesting statistic is that 50% of the entire wealth of the World is owned by 1% of the population. What does that even mean? I guess that to an African family subsisting on the edge of survival you and I are the wealthy! But hidden within that statistic there are undoubtedly a tiny proportion of truly super rich who use the wealth = power equation to influence global economic structure for their own advantage.

If I was in government my long term aim would be to gain global consensus that in a modern economy it is possible to print money to reduce debt and finance collectively beneficial activity, subject to careful control.

Economists would say this is not possible and certainly the mega rich would resist because an increase in the global money supply which ultimately didn't feedback to them would undermine their power and influence. But consider this scenario:-

Sometime in the future scientists discover a huge asteroid on a collision course with Earth with Doomsday consequences. The good news is that the event is some years away and the scientists have a viable plan to destroy the asteroid or divert its course. The bad news is that the project is of such a massive scale that the estimated cost exceeds all the money in the World. Do we say "Oh, what a shame, we'll just have to accept our fate," or do we say "Print the damn money and quick." It's time we recognised that money has for long ceased to be a true measure of wealth, linked to tangible resources with real value (if it was, rainforest would be worth more per square metre than building land in Kensington) and for most people it is a token of reward whilst for a very select few it is a token of power.

But I digress. For now we have to work within the constraints of a failed global economic system and the bottom line is your bottom line, "How do we bring manufacturing and business back to the UK?" Much as it goes against my instinct, I think we must be prepared to give generous tax breaks and even tax immunity to entrepreneurs and corporations that will create genuine manufacturing jobs. On the other hand, companies such as Amazon which serve only to suck in more imports should be taxed until they squeal.

Old 2nd April 2015

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts
What's in an election slogan? (A bit political)

I will own up to being a conservative voter generally. I have two problems with the current situation. Firstly if I vote for anyone else with a serious chance the party is run by the same bunch who went to the same public schools and universities, even man of the people Farage. Secondly the trickle down policy. It works at a certain level but as long as the wealth being generated is reasonably spread around. If entrepreneurs are rewarded and the benefits are generated in the middle income area then it can work. All have a higher propensity to spend. However as one of the super rich said recently he can only wear one pair of shoes. This is not solved by taxation it does not raise much revenue and that generally gets swallowed into government spending but not redistributed. Some equalisation of top level rewards in commercial organisations needs to take place. Too much emphasis has been on say CEO rewards based on reduced costs mostly gained by keeping labour costs low. A little more innovative thinking is needed. BTW I don't't know the answer either.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)