Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P2

Olympus Pen E-P2 The second Micro Four Thirds system camera from Olympus, this time with a clip-on high resolution viewfinder.

Old 24th November 2012

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
EP2 in trouble

After owning about a dozen Olympus digital cameras, a brand new experience one of them has actually developed a fault!

Out with my EP2 yesterday with then Pana 14-42PZ lens, camera suddenly refused to switch off.

Took the battery out and took it home. Changed the lens for the 17mm camera worked OK. Put the PZ1442 back on and it worked OK again. Tried both lenses on the EP1 where both worked OK.

Checking through various functions I found that the Level Gauge is not working. The white gauge frames appear but no green bars. This may of course have no relationship with the lens problem.

I tried a reset but this made no difference.

Has anyone any suggestions about a fix for this?

I expect I will have to send it back to Olympus. It is only about 6 months old so it should be fixed under warranty.

I have fitted a smart black skin oh it. Should I remove this before sending it? If so, how?

I seem to remember seeing a video showing a hair dryer being used, but I cannot find it now.

OM-D E-M1 Panasonic GX7 Various Oly and Panasonic lenses
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Re: EP2 in trouble

I think this is the video you are looking for (bottom of the page) - http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/E-PL...LeatherKit.php
Old 24th November 2012

Paul,

Thank you very much, that is the one I was looking for.

However my "skin", unlike the one in the video, has small holes in the right places so that the (3) screws are accessible, so maybe I could leave it on.

Old 24th November 2012

Liked 145 Times in 101 Posts

I think you might be better leaving it on, with a note expalining and pointing out the access holes.
Also, do you want to give them the option of replacing your e-P2 without removing the skin? i.e. you lose the skin but get a new camera? Add to the note.

I also don't understand which lens was on when the camera locked ON. 14-42PZ? What is that?
Old 24th November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
I think you might be better leaving it on, with a note expalining and pointing out the access holes.
Also, do you want to give them the option of replacing your e-P2 without removing the skin? i.e. you lose the skin but get a new camera? Add to the note.

I also don't understand which lens was on when the camera locked ON. 14-42PZ? What is that?
Ulfric,

Yes good points, when I send it I will write a good story!

The lens on the camera was Panasonic 14-42PZ. It is almost as small as the Oly 17mm. It has power zoom and focus, is very sharp and focuses much faster than the 17mm, also almost silent in operation. Super compact for 14-42 range.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microf...6_pz_panasonic

The power zoom/power MF is a bit fiddly. but well worth putting up with for the compact size and excellent IQ

I have been using the camera today and it seems OK apart from the level gauge not working.

I have hidden the level gauge to move it out of sight and out of mind.

If the camera continues to work OK , I think I will wait until the warranty has run for another year or so before sending it in