Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P2

Olympus Pen E-P2 The second Micro Four Thirds system camera from Olympus, this time with a clip-on high resolution viewfinder.

Old 14th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
firmware update problem

I'm having a problem updating the firmware on my recently acquired EP2 and wondered if anyone else had encountered this issue... I keep getting a 'can't connect to server' message. The software (master and the update stand alone thing) sees the camera and shows the update (when it does seem to connect to a server) - which I start, but after about ten minutes up comes the no server message.
I've tried several times now. Any ideas?
Old 14th January 2011

Liked 553 Times in 243 Posts
Re: firmware update problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
I'm having a problem updating the firmware on my recently acquired EP2 and wondered if anyone else had encountered this issue... I keep getting a 'can't connect to server' message. The software (master and the update stand alone thing) sees the camera and shows the update (when it does seem to connect to a server) - which I start, but after about ten minutes up comes the no server message.
I've tried several times now. Any ideas?
Could it be a Firewall problem? It may allow Master some functions and not others. You could risk turning off the firewall while you do the upgrade, or delve into the Firewall settings to enable Master to do what it needs.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 14th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks John, but no I'd thought of that, it makes no difference. It seems to be an issue with the Olympus server.
Old 15th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Managed to update it this morning - although not on my machine. I had tried absolutely everything to make it work, including different routers and removing firewalls etc, but without success. The solution was using my kids computer which runs XP, networked through the same router, and using viewer 2. Even though viewer wouldn't connect to the olympus update server when on my machine it did on the kids! I've no idea why or how but at least it worked... it shouldn't be like this though, a simple download to a card should be enough - shouldn't it? Why do Olympus do it this way?

I wonder if the update was worth the effort? Time will tell!
Old 15th January 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
I've no idea why or how but at least it worked... it shouldn't be like this though, a simple download to a card should be enough - shouldn't it? Why do Olympus do it this way?
I also think a download to card would be better, as it is if your server goes down or you lose the internet connection while updating it can cause all kinds of problems!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 15th January 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

I agree that to a card would be easier, but if your internet connection drops it shouldn't make any difference as the update to camera only starts once the whole file is in the computer's cache (somewhere!). It's a power drop in your camera from, say, a flat battery which you should be wary of. Or a USB failure, or a computer power failure whilst actually updating, but not an internet failure (phew!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
I also think a download to card would be better, as it is if your server goes down or you lose the internet connection while updating it can cause all kinds of problems!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 17th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really need update firmware for camera and lenses, but haven't dared to because our internet was just too unreliable to risk it. We've recently switched ISP and now seem to have a better connection but even so I'd really like to know what is the best/safest way to update firmware.
Old 18th January 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

At present the only way is via Olympus software - Viewer 2 is the latest. As I said earlier, it doesn't matter if your internet connection fails during download, as the update to the camera will only start once your computer has downloaded the complete file. Just make sure you've got a freshly-charged battery in your camera and hope that your computer won't lose power during the update - I suppose the safest way for that is to either use an external UPS supply or a laptop connected to the mains but with a full battery "just in case".

My Flickr site
Old 18th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
At present the only way is via Olympus software - Viewer 2 is the latest. As I said earlier, it doesn't matter if your internet connection fails during download, as the update to the camera will only start once your computer has downloaded the complete file. Just make sure you've got a freshly-charged battery in your camera and hope that your computer won't lose power during the update - I suppose the safest way for that is to either use an external UPS supply or a laptop connected to the mains but with a full battery "just in case".

Or it could be:

1. Download file to computer.
2. Copy file to camera memory.
3. Begin update of firmware from camera memory.

That would be safer - it's a pity Oly aren't more transparent about the process.

I'd be wary about using a laptop - mine seen to decide to go to sleep even when they're connected to the mains, no matter what I do with the power management settings.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery
Old 18th January 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

I agree, that would be a better process. But Ellie did ask how to update the firmware at present.

I suspect you've a problem with your laptop's power settings - mine stays awake all the time if connected to the mains, which is what I've told it to do, and sleeps on battery power after my pre-determined time.

My Flickr site
Old 18th January 2011

[quote=StephenL;99144]I agree, that would be a better process. But Ellie did ask how to update the firmware at present.

...quote]

It's a poor process really. Why isn't there a fallback if it fails? If they can design firmware that tracks focus points and recognises faces surely they can design firmware with a non-user-updatable kernel that will allow recovery from a failed update?

Re the laptop, it's a netbook actually and it's power handling isn't up to snuff, but that's a different story.

Flickr gallery
Old 18th January 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Yes, other manufacturers (including Panasonic) manage to have a safer way. But this is how Olympus designed it, therefore we're stuck with it until it changes. C'est la vie, as they say in Longniddry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post

It's a poor process really. Why isn't there a fallback if it fails? If they can design firmware that tracks focus points and recognises faces surely they can design firmware with a non-user-updatable kernel that will allow recovery from a failed update?

My Flickr site
Old 23rd February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still haven't had the courage to do it. Even though our internet now seems to be very reliable we had such a long period (years) of poor service with dropped connections, that I'm still extremely wary and I don't want to have to send my camera away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Or it could be:

1. Download file to computer.
2. Copy file to camera memory.
3. Begin update of firmware from camera memory.

That would be safer - it's a pity Oly aren't more transparent about the process.

I'd be wary about using a laptop - mine seen to decide to go to sleep even when they're connected to the mains, no matter what I do with the power management settings.

I've heard that there is a way of downloading updates to computer or memory card rather than straight to the camera's own memory, but despite looking through the forum archives I can't find the details.

Does anybody remember where the information is please?
Old 24th February 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I agree that to a card would be easier, but if your internet connection drops it shouldn't make any difference as the update to camera only starts once the whole file is in the computer's cache (somewhere!). It's a power drop in your camera from, say, a flat battery which you should be wary of. Or a USB failure, or a computer power failure whilst actually updating, but not an internet failure (phew!).
That may be true Stephen, but then we have all heard of updates going wrong and the camera or lens refusing to work after and then a needing a trip to Olympus.

You never hear of this with other makes and I always do updates with some trepidation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 24th February 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

I've certainly heard of corrupt update files from Canon causing this very issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post

You never hear of this with other makes and I always do updates with some trepidation.

My Flickr site