Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 282 Times in 111 Posts
Thumbs down It came away in her hands

After 2.3/4 years' service Anne's LH-76 fell to pieces attached to her 40-150 2.8 lens and 4 months out of warranty.

A rather clever accessory I must admit.

Now missing ball bearings and a copper strip.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Ask Olympus very nicely, you never know what they might say.

Good luck

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (2 Weeks Ago)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Barr1e (2 Weeks Ago), Zuiko (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 903 Times in 546 Posts

Fingers crossed for you, as Graham said it's definitely worth a go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,083 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 1,217 Times in 750 Posts

I have heard that these can have this happen, I also think I've read it can be put back together (so long as all parts are kept) but I'm not sure if that is possible though.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

FYIY Olympus USA just replaced my 8 month old hood. The engineering is too cute for the materials they chose, IMHO. The hood was on backorder; I wonder why?
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 27 month old hood broke in March '17, after the warranty expired.
I asked Olympus to replace or repair it and their answer was very poor.
David Munns, UK Customer & Technical Support Manager, wanted me to send all the parts to their service centre for examination at a charge of 15 and a further 46 charge if it was found to be repairable. If it wasn't repairable, a small discount would be offered towards a new replacement.
So, 61 plus packaging and postal charges to fix, or a lot more for a new one with a 10% discount offered as a favour to a long standing customer who they acknowledge owns lots of Olympus gear.
When I told him that was a ridiculous charge for a simple repair, he asked me to drop by and visit him in Prague to discuss it - at my own expense of course.

Solution = 30 for a second hand mint condition replacement from eBay and a customer who may never buy from Olympus again.

Current equipment:-
E500 x2, E-1, E-3, E-5, OM-D E-M1 - all with associated battery grips.
14-42 f3.5, 40-150 f3.5, 40-150 f4, 14-54 f2.8, 12-60 f2.8, 50mm f2.0 macro, 50-200 f2.8, EC-20, EX-25, 30mm f1.4 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 12-40 f2.8 mft, 40-150 f2.8 mft, 75-300 f4.8 mft, 300mm f4 mft, mmf3 adapter, EE1 dot sight.

Last edited by Mikey; 1 Week Ago at 01:14 PM. Reason: Equipment list added.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 467 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
My 27 month old hood broke in March '17, after the warranty expired.
I asked Olympus to replace or repair it and their answer was very poor.
David Munns, UK Customer & Technical Support Manager, wanted me to send all the parts to their service centre for examination at a charge of 15 and a further 46 charge if it was found to be repairable. If it wasn't repairable, a small discount would be offered towards a new replacement.
So, 61 plus packaging and postal charges to fix, or a lot more for a new one with a 10% discount offered as a favour to a long standing customer who they acknowledge owns lots of Olympus gear.
When I told him that was a ridiculous charge for a simple repair, he asked me to drop by and visit him in Prague to discuss it - at my own expense of course.

Solution = 30 for a second hand mint condition replacement from eBay and a customer who may never buy from Olympus again.

Current equipment:-
E500 x2, E-1, E-3, E-5, OM-D E-M1 - all with associated battery grips.
14-42 f3.5, 40-150 f3.5, 40-150 f4, 14-54 f2.8, 12-60 f2.8, 50mm f2.0 macro, 50-200 f2.8, EC-20, EX-25, 30mm f1.4 Sigma, 50-500 Sigma, 12-40 f2.8 mft, 40-150 f2.8 mft, 75-300 f4.8 mft, 300mm f4 mft, mmf3 adapter, EE1 dot sight.
Why blame Olympus ? A 12 month warranty is exactly that, 12 months. It wouldn't matter what company you were dealing with or if you had purchased an item for 120,000 the result would be the same .... Warranty Expired. it happens to us all at some point.

John
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As with the original posters lens hood, these seem to just fall to pieces in everyday use and so I blame Olympus for using poor quality adhesive in construction of the lens hood.
The Consumer Rights Act expects goods to last for more than 6 years regardless of price.
Acknowledging it was 27 months old, I had originally asked Olympus if they could sell me a repair kit of ball bearings and spring strips as it is easy to reconstruct if these are at hand......of course, then using a good quality adhesive to fix the external retaining hoop back in place.
The reply was a refusal and instructions to return it for investigation at my expense, as I have already explained.
Their answer acknowledged lots of us having the same problem, but was full of accusations of us all having abused our lens hoods by dropping them, incorrectly packing and storing them away poorly.

Customer Service of the kind that loses customers quickly and all over a problem that could be fixed by a couple of quids worth of materials in a repair kit they could easily offer for sale.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 282 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
As with the original posters lens hood, these seem to just fall to pieces in everyday use and so I blame Olympus for using poor quality adhesive in construction of the lens hood.
The Consumer Rights Act expects goods to last for more than 6 years regardless of price.
Acknowledging it was 27 months old, I had originally asked Olympus if they could sell me a repair kit of ball bearings and spring strips as it is easy to reconstruct if these are at hand......of course, then using a good quality adhesive to fix the external retaining hoop back in place.
The reply was a refusal and instructions to return it for investigation at my expense, as I have already explained.
Their answer acknowledged lots of us having the same problem, but was full of accusations of us all having abused our lens hoods by dropping them, incorrectly packing and storing them away poorly.

Customer Service of the kind that loses customers quickly and all over a problem that could be fixed by a couple of quids worth of materials in a repair kit they could easily offer for sale.
I received a similar reply from Olympus Service. We were hopeful a solution would have been offered such as a service kit as the pic above shows certain items lost (in a muddy field whilst using the equipment).

We are visiting SRS in Watford for a replacement at a reasonable figure - so not all is lost.

I must point out though Olympus has treated us very well in the past.

Regards.

B + A
Mikey (1 Week Ago)