Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,582 Times in 957 Posts
In-camera multiple 'additive' exposures

Is it possible to perform in-camera multiple 'additive' exposures (other than HDR, which is entirely different) with an Olympus Digital camera? FujiFilm digital have the feature, but I'm looking at taking more than two frames in an additive manner, eg nine shots on one frame.

Or am I "forced" to use a film camera, such as the F3, which is provided with a multiple exposure lever allowing the shutter to cock without advancing the film (defeating the sprockets by engaging the film rewind button is less accurate since the film will move to some degree).

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 645 Times in 440 Posts
Re: In-camera multiple 'additive' exposures

I may have misunderstood, but isn't this what Live Composite mode does? I've never tried it so apologies if this is a daft suggestion.

John
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I've heard the term, but until now I've let it wash. Shall google and see if the EM5 MkI does live composite.
What I want to do is form an image from several underexposed images (exposure comp is the square root of the total number of frames), say 9 for instance (easy square root ) to form a composite.

Edit: Just looked, Live Composite seems to be a Bulb mode where the image grows on the screen as light interacts with the sensor. Multiple exposure could be something like 9 X 1/10000 s, for example.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts

Live composite is not the same as multiple exposure, I'm afraid... only brighter parts of subsequent images are copied into the base image. The only multi-exposure option available is to shoot 2 frames in a composite image (Shooting menu 2 on the E-M1 mkII).

I was hoping to see some improvement in this area - I can't think why it couldn't be done in a firmware update. I went to a talk by Valda Bailey and she blends up to 10 images in camera (Canon and Nikon both offer this), and her camera includes a choice of blend modes. Olympus gear doesn't offer any blend options apart from simple addition - easy to burn out areas this way - or Auto-Gain - where each of the two frames has its brightness halved before the addition, to prevent burn out (unless you've over-exposed, of course).

I had a quick chat with Clare Harvey-May from Olympus at the Bath FotoFest event a couple of months ago, asking why Olympus don't offer this and she suggested it was lack of user demand meaning that there is nothing to push Olympus towards implementing this.

There is growing interest in this type of work, I believe, so - if you're one of the interested ones - it may be worth dropping a line to Olympus to ask about adding the feature, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Certainly, for the E-M1 mkII, there have been far fewer firmware updates than there were for the original E-M1 and I'm guessing most of the developers will be looking at the next new body rather than adding features to a 2-year old one.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
Live composite is not the same as multiple exposure, I'm afraid... only brighter parts of subsequent images are copied into the base image. The only multi-exposure option available is to shoot 2 frames in a composite image (Shooting menu 2 on the E-M1 mkII).

I was hoping to see some improvement in this area - I can't think why it couldn't be done in a firmware update. I went to a talk by Valda Bailey and she blends up to 10 images in camera (Canon and Nikon both offer this), and her camera includes a choice of blend modes. Olympus gear doesn't offer any blend options apart from simple addition - easy to burn out areas this way - or Auto-Gain - where each of the two frames has its brightness halved before the addition, to prevent burn out (unless you've over-exposed, of course).

I had a quick chat with Clare Harvey-May from Olympus at the Bath FotoFest event a couple of months ago, asking why Olympus don't offer this and she suggested it was lack of user demand meaning that there is nothing to push Olympus towards implementing this.

There is growing interest in this type of work, I believe, so - if you're one of the interested ones - it may be worth dropping a line to Olympus to ask about adding the feature, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Certainly, for the E-M1 mkII, there have been far fewer firmware updates than there were for the original E-M1 and I'm guessing most of the developers will be looking at the next new body rather than adding features to a 2-year old one.
Thanks Raichea. Yes I believe there is a demand as you say, there will come a time in every photographer's life where they become tierd of simply photographing what they see in front of their eyes and look for alternatives, such as capturing how they feel about a scene. Rather than explain further, I recommend reading 'Photo Impressionism and the subjective image' by Patterson and Gallant.
Back to the camera situation. If the flag ship EM1 MkII doesn't cut it, there's almost zero hope for my EM5 MkI. Fortunately there is a solution with a suitable film camera, such as the Nikon F3 that I mentioned earlier. It looks as though this example, being a 30/40 year old design, was ahead of the game!

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,078 Times in 818 Posts
Liked 4,995 Times in 1,625 Posts

Live Comp is additive in the sense that it will add brighter parts successively without causing overexposure to areas where the brightness has not changed. In other words, it's ideal for light painting, star-trails and such like.

If you want to stack lots of underexposed shots to obtain a normal exposure (in other words the same as having taken a longer exposure) then it won't do that. However, it's very easy to do this in post processing. Programs like deepskystacker do it on an industrial scale for astro work, but if you're only stacking a small number of frames then Photoshop will do a pretty good job:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/us...ge-stacks.html
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,206 Times in 954 Posts
Liked 1,663 Times in 961 Posts

Multi Exposure will combine two & keep overlaying a raw file for more (from each last overlay), It's cumbersome but doable.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Multi Exposure will combine two & keep overlaying a raw file for more (from each last overlay), It's cumbersome but doable.
On an EM5 MkI ?

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
On an EM5 MkI ?
Yes, even on an E-M5 (Mk I). It's in Shooting Menu 2.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Yes, even on an E-M5 (Mk I). It's in Shooting Menu 2.
Sounds great, thanks.

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Sounds great, thanks.
I was disappointed when there was only two on the E-M5 after coming from an E30 which did four. Not that I ever used it though.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 44 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Multi Exposure will combine two

I watched a youtube video on that last month. It covers how to overcome the 2 exposure limitation by combing 2, then using the resulting combined image as the first in another multi-exposure.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
I watched a youtube video on that last month. It covers how to overcome the 2 exposure limitation by combing 2, then using the resulting combined image as the first in another multi-exposure.
Note that this isn't the same as multi-exposure. The first two images that are combined only contribute 50% to the image in total. This means images 1 and 2 provide 25% each, while image 3 provides 50% - the last image always provides 50% of the data. So the next image (image 4) would provide 50% while image 3 provides 25% and images 1 & 2 provide 12.5% each.

In a true multi-exposure, each of the 4 would contribute 25%.
Ricoh (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
Note that this isn't the same as multi-exposure. The first two images that are combined only contribute 50% to the image in total. This means images 1 and 2 provide 25% each, while image 3 provides 50% - the last image always provides 50% of the data. So the next image (image 4) would provide 50% while image 3 provides 25% and images 1 & 2 provide 12.5% each.

In a true multi-exposure, each of the 4 would contribute 25%.
In a multi-exposure capture I want to be in full control of the relative exposure, the opacity of each, not as a predetermined ratio under algorithmic control, unless it's the algorithm running in my head.
Multi-exposure was once seen as an important tool by professional photographers when selecting cameras. I suppose in this digital age some of the camera companies are offloading the problem to Adobe. We can't however tar all manufacturers with the same brush.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
In a multi-exposure capture I want to be in full control of the relative exposure, the opacity of each, not as a predetermined ratio under algorithmic control, unless it's the algorithm running in my head.
Multi-exposure was once seen as an important tool by professional photographers when selecting cameras. I suppose in this digital age some of the camera companies are offloading the problem to Adobe. We can't however tar all manufacturers with the same brush.
With the Multi Exposure, there is Auto Gain - ON/OFF so exposure can be set accordingly each time, looking at the result (I think) using the Overlay ON.