Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What next?

Hi all, am still loving my E-510 it’s such a great camera for what I need, but I am starting to think, what next? Of course there doesn’t have to be a next but I am just curious what I may find advantageous without breaking the bank. WhT type of features will I really enjoy coming from the E-510 and also, which model would be a really good progressive step without leaping to far ahead of myself.

Of course, ‘if it ain’t broke’ as they say. I am still reLly happy with it and it’s more than enough for me but I just wondered what steps you guys took after your E-510.

Cheers.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 479 Times in 254 Posts
Re: What next?

Lets have a look at what you can reuse and what you can't.

Batteries and chargers, RM1 (IR remote trigger) those don't carry to the new body. So you need new ones depending on the body you purchase

Things that you get to keep, Filters, if the size is right. Bags, tripods are a yes. Cable release, you may need to modify. )There is a thread somewhere that shows the modification for use with the EM1mk2)

The body that you may want to consider will also depends on the lenses that you intend to keep. Only the EM1 can support the Phase AF. the others, the focus will be slower as they are Contrast AD.

It was a difficult decision when I switch. But eventually, I sold the 50-200, 14-54, 11-22 and a whole lot of others but I still have some dead wood occupying the precious space in my dry box.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu-by-u For This Useful Post:
Pupkin (1 Week Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Liked 399 Times in 220 Posts

I went from the E-510 to the E-30 as it was in my mind the most sensible successor in that range if you plan to stick to 4/3 rather than micro 4/3

I used it immensely over the next few years and I only changed from it when I decided to move to micro 4/3

The other option if you are stocking with 4/3 would in my mind be the E-620. I used to borrow my wife's when I wanted a travel camera which was more portable than the E-30 - an excellent camera, but I did find it a bit small for my hands

I still have both of those as backup cameras, but I admit that I have not used either in a year and if I was to do a significant trip I am more likely now to consider my wife's current EM10 MkII as a backup which would be a sensible move into micro4/3 if you want to do that

Regards
Andy

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to shenstone For This Useful Post:
Pupkin (1 Week Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
cinders (1 Week Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,354 Times in 835 Posts

I suggest getting involved in the forum more and showing us what you are acheiving. If you are happy with what you have thats great.

Yopu do not say what lense you have and what you are shooting.

I went from an E-410 to a E-620 but if are staying with 4/3 I suggest an E-30 or E-3 or E-5 they are better built and now cheap where you find them.

If you which to move onto m4/3 an E-M1 or E-M5 would be a leap forward at a decent price.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:
Pupkin (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all, thanks very much for all the replies.

I am on Instagram nd_e510 my profile picture is me holding a Hassleblad 500c of all things! I hasten to add there’s a few pictures taken with my phone as that’s all I had on me at the time!

Just to answer a few questions, I tend to shoot the most outdoors lots of trees, bridges, atmospheric windy days, flowers up close. I’m no expert but I like a lot of ‘blur’ with certain shots as I used to paint watercolour when I had more time. I absolutely love Monochrome for the right picture and like that kind of painting with light effect.

The E-510was my first camera and step into DSLR’s it’s been amazing I can’t praise it highly enough and I will keep it for back up definitely, some of the things I am finding tough is the small display, and the display in the viewfinder in green is often hard to see, the lenses seem slow to focus and sound a bit robotic, but I still have a very limited budget so for whatever I paid, I think it was below £50 it’s really been a gem. I’d really like Wifi, I do have a small portable device that I can plug into and ‘speak’ to my ipad but it’s a bit hit and miss to be honest.

I have been a bit tempted by Nikon and the 3300 series as so many of the features seem to appeal but the last thing I want to do is start from scratch again with manuals and features.

I will have around £250 to spend this time.

I am using a 17.5-45mm Olympus Digital lens as standard, I tend to use that for everything and occasionally a 40-150mm Olympus Digital lens.

Thanks Guys

P.
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,148 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 849 Posts

Pumkin my suggestion if you want to stick with a 4/3 DSLR then go for an E5 as it will be a good step up from your E510 and you might get one for £250. I'd disagree with Andy about the E610 I got one as an upgrade to my E510 but really didn't like it and sold it. It was better in some respects and didn't blow highlights as much as the E510 but just didn't deliver as sharp an image. IQ just seemed a bit worse to me. As I said I sold it and stuck happily with the E510 until the EM1 mk1 came along. That was a great upgrade and one I'd recommend, you might just get a second hand one for your £250. That way with the adaptor you could use your old lenses until you start to get some micro 4/3 glass. Plus you'd have a much better camera than a Nikon 3300
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Pupkin (1 Week Ago)
Pupkin (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That sounds like a plan, am off to do some research!

Incidentally when choosing the E-510 I remember it took months of comparisons, here we go again!
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just checking, this is the OM-D E-M1 right? Gosh they’re as rare as ‘ Hens teeth’ as they say!
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 399 Times in 186 Posts

For the budget, you might be able to get the original E-M5 and and adapter. I picked mine up for £220, a couple of years back, and it remains the best camera I’ve ever owned (and you can throw my Sony full frame kit into that analysis). Pretty much anything with that (still very capable) 16MP sensor sells at rock bottom prices on the second hand market.

Oddly enough, I’m considering an E-620, but you can put that down to me not being remotely normal.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 173 Times in 88 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

The other thing you could consider is upgrading your main lens. The 17.5-45 is well short of being the best Oly lens in that focal length. The 14-54 or 12-60 would give much better results.

EM1, EM5 II
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,231 Times in 1,148 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 849 Posts

Yes i was refering to the OMD EM1 mk1. Strange there aren't many around I struggled to sell mine only 9 months ago as there were quite a few on offer then. In the end it worked out fine as my daughter had it.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,261 Times in 815 Posts

IIRC the E510 is like the E500 I had inasmuch as it doesn't have a 'proper' pentaprism, just an array of mirrors to achieve the same effect. My experience of the E500 viewfinder was that it was like looking through a dim, narrow tunnel and when I got my E3 the difference in viewfinder brightness was a revelation. My E500 also came with the kit 17.5-45mm lens, which I've seen mentioned was the worse 4/3rds lens Olympus made, so I think the if you get a better standard lens and (say) an E3 you will notice a huge difference in ease of use and image quality. Having said that, if you are going to change both the camera body and main lens, you're probably better off going straight to M43rds.

I went E500 - E3 - E5 and now E-P5, and the E-P5 is a far nicer camera to use, though I miss the weatherproofing of the E3 and E5, but really nothing else.

Jim
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Yes i was refering to the OMD EM1 mk1. Strange there aren't many around I struggled to sell mine only 9 months ago as there were quite a few on offer then. In the end it worked out fine as my daughter had it.
I had trouble shifting mine, too. In the end I converted it to IR, replacing my E-M5 MkI IR body. (Now I just have to shift that).
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 744 Times in 220 Posts

How about one of these. Absolute bargain at that price even though it as a grey import (no warranty), but you would need an adapter to use your current lenses. Or you could push the boat out and add a really good all-rounder of a lens with this kit?

E-M5 II, E-M1, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Phill D (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 173 Times in 88 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I once had the 14-150ii and found that in difficult conditions its IQ was poor in comparison with lenses with a shorter zoom range.

EM1, EM5 II