Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 7th November 2018

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,120 Times in 766 Posts
Re: Tony Northrup believes micro-four-thirds is dead

I like what Michael Rammell is saying, he puts it so much better than I could. Olympus do need to differentiate their market offerings in a better way... oh, and support this forum as part of that marketing push.

Positioning the E-M5 range as video centric might be a good idea but that does leave us amateurs who wish to concentrate on stills (and not pay the video price) with the E-M10 range. Fine, but the E-M10 range would need to up its game a bit and have top end and low end models with the top end models more like the current E-M5ii (including weather proofing, IS, and loads of dials & buttons).
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 30 Times in 9 Posts

For anybody interested, I wrote to Olympus about these rumours to ask what their opinion was...

Good afternoon

Many thanks for your email and for voicing your concerns.

I have to tell you, firstly and without doubt, Micro Four-Thirds is not dead, not even close.
We have no need or concern to jump into a format change, especially the saturated FF market like Panasonic have done with Sigma and Leica. The MFT format holds an excellent and ever popular niche which we support generously.

We have invested heavily for many years (since the 70's) in building the smallest cameras with the best possible quality.
Our OM's were smaller than other 35mm machines, our C system were developed with size in mind, the Four-Thirds (or E-System) cameras were as small as we could get D-SLR's and now we have spend the last 10+ years developing and refining the Micro Four-Thirds format.

The last model (E-M1 MKII) out performs most D-SLR's and is comparable with the top FF cameras of this time for IQ, Noise and Dynamic Range when paired with our lenses.

I also enjoy watching Tony and Chelsea, I find them very 'entertaining', however, they are not affiliated with any one brand and tend to shoot more often than not with heavy, expensive gear.
I don't think I've ever seen them out on location where they don't have a 4x4 (SUV) to lug all their kit around and I don't even think they're that knowledgeable when it comes to the technical side of the MFT system.

So I will give you the same advice I give my team; enjoy watching, listen to what they have to say, but never take it as divine rule and always with a pinch of salt. The Youtube channel is at the end of the day a personal opinion blog.

This being said, he did get one thing right and it is across the board, with any company providing any consumer goods; "no-one will ever know what the future holds", not even the developers.
However if we look at historical data, you can see the movement of mounts and systems has drastically slowed down (for most manufacturers).

Since the 60's you can see the following system releases:

Canon - 8 mounts - 3 in the last 10 years
Fuji - 7 mounts - 2 in the last 10 years
Nikon - 4 mounts - 2 in the last 10 years
Sony - 3 mounts - all in the last 10 years.
Olympus - 4 mounts - 1 in the last 10 years

So long story short; no-one will ever be able to give you a certainty about what the company is working on, or what is to come, but I can assure you, everything I have heard and spoken about with the management here, is that there is no interest in moving to FF or any other sensor size.
We're happy with MFT and our feedback from customers shows they same. I trust you'll also continue to enjoy the system. For many, many years.

Kind regards,

David Munns
UK Customer & Technical Support Manager
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to super_claret For This Useful Post:
chris (4 Weeks Ago), Graham from Wirral (4 Weeks Ago), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago), pault (3 Weeks Ago), Petrochemist (3 Weeks Ago), raichea (3 Weeks Ago), Thomas Westhead (4 Weeks Ago)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (4 Weeks Ago), drmarkf (4 Weeks Ago), Keith-369 (4 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago), Olybirder (4 Weeks Ago), RobEW (4 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (4 Weeks Ago), skids (4 Weeks Ago), wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,153 Times in 1,078 Posts

Excellent reply.

Now perhaps we might squeeze some support from him for the forum....

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
macro work increases and I don't need portability for that.
As a very high proportion of my photography is macro, I find that a surprising comment.

Harold
RobEW (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Only Olympus know all the details but I never heard anyone say it was because of the sensor size per se. Rather it was because M43 offered greater advantages to the system as a whole and in future it may be that another seismic change may do the same to M43.
I don't understand the comment about sensor size. they are the same.

Anyway, the short register distance of m4/3 permits a large number of legacy lenses to be used (via adapters) which otherwise could not be used on digital. (Not unique e.g A7R).

Harold
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,067 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I don't understand the comment about sensor size. they are the same.

Anyway, the short register distance of m4/3 permits a large number of legacy lenses to be used (via adapters) which otherwise could not be used on digital. (Not unique e.g A7R).

Harold
True up to a point, but the first generation Sonys had a thick sensor stack that interfered with some classic lenses' imaging, such that you got a lot of magenta artefacts (e.g. a number of lovely Leitz semi-wide-angles).

Some people went to the lengths of having the sensors customised to allow these lenses to be used, but that really is taking things a bit far IMHO, especially now bodies such as the A7II have fallen so much in price both new and s/h.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,062 Times in 527 Posts

Very interesting comparison here.

Full Frame vs Micro Four Thirds where it matters most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGn3...ature=youtu.be

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Indeed.
Not very impressed with his images as compositions, but his technical conclusions are fair enough for a real-life, subjective comparison.
Anyone following dpreview would think that photographs were only taken at -3EV and enlarged to 3m square

However, there are also a lot of good people on dpreview, with some interesting discussions like this one about choosing cameras for low-light concert photography (which doesn't reach some conclusions you necessarily might expect): https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61919440

Too much Oly gear.
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,147 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 849 Posts

Interesting conclusion Mark. I tried that 50-200 mm lens in Moti's post out at the NEC it was really nice.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Interesting conclusion Mark. I tried that 50-200 mm lens in Moti's post out at the NEC it was really nice.
Yes, I passed that link on to a friend at camera club who uses both an M1ii and a Canon 5Diii for concert photography.

Hes been agonising over the advantages and disadvantages of the two systems (and also whether, for example, to switch from both to Sony) and he said it has given him several more good-looking ideas to try.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 108 Times in 80 Posts

If I tried to carry around the FF equivalent of my MFT grab bag, I'd be hospitalised pretty quickly! Either from damage to my back in carrying too much or damage to other parts from my wife finding out how much money it cost

Currently my bag has:
2 bodies (IR & normal)
600mm equiv. mirror lens
90-400 equiv. zoom
28-84 equiv. zoom
34, 36, 48, 100 equiv. primes all at F2.8
faster 50 & 70 equivalents (f1.6 & 1.4 iirc)
140 FOV fisheye
180 FOV fisheye
36-216 equiv. zoom with 2x TC (not a normal resident of my bag)
Raynox 150
plus of course flash, batteries cards, adapters, extension tubes, a pile of filters...

Total cost slightly over 1000

Until FF can be easily manageable with even just half that range it's a non starter from my point of view.

From what I've seen Northrup rarely takes more than 1 lens & still tends to stick to areas near his truck.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

There was an amusing episode of the This Week in Photo podcast a couple of weeks ago, when the very grounded Shiv Verma said he thought Tony N had been left alone for that episode by his sensible lady wife, and had gone off the deep end (and by implication was probably being given a good kicking on her return ).

Too much Oly gear.