Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 2nd December 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inconsistent recording on 2 cards

Hi,
I am new to Olympus and the logics behind recording onto the two cards in the camera. As expected I have two cards, settings are set to record on second card when first card is full. However, recording started on card two even if first card was far from full, then recording by itself went back to card #1. Why? The file numbering was consistent, continuing from card1 to card2 and back again.

Shouldn't the camera record on card1 until full and then continue on card2? Can it have something to do with switching power on and off between the shootings?
Old 2nd December 2017

Liked 1,214 Times in 627 Posts
Re: Inconsistent recording on 2 cards

I must admit I seemed to have a similar sort of problem last week, when switching between video and still shots.

I could not find what I had recorded on the camera, but all was well when the cards were dumped to computer. Slight mystery at the time, camera seemed to be confused, as I was...........

My Flickr
Old 2nd December 2017

Liked 909 Times in 359 Posts

I've noticed something similar when going back to view images on the second card, the camera seems to then carry on recording to the second until its switched off then reverts to the first... though I've not managed to consistently replicate this... so it seems to be a small bug in the operating system somewhere...

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 3rd December 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This inconsistency can be a real problem, you never know when to replace a card! The other problem is when you take a long series of pictures and the buffer fills up - you find you are on card 2 instead of the much faster card 1. Such a bug should not happen under any circumstances!
Old 3rd December 2017

Thanked 1,144 Times in 903 Posts
Liked 1,382 Times in 835 Posts

It might be occurring if the camera is turned on while one of the cards is out of the camera, then it defaults to the one that's left. That's how I perceive its behaviour.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3rd December 2017

Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts

I think the settings also depend on how they are set for C1, C2 and C3, if you are using those. You need to store the card settings for each, making it easy to change the way the cards work depending on how you turn the dial.
Old 3rd December 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
It might be occurring if the camera is turned on while one of the cards is out of the camera, then it defaults to the one that's left. That's how I perceive its behaviour.
Of course that would be normal, but did not happen that way in this case.
Old 3rd December 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
I think the settings also depend on how they are set for C1, C2 and C3, if you are using those. You need to store the card settings for each, making it easy to change the way the cards work depending on how you turn the dial.
Has no bearing in this case, as the operating mode (C1, A, M etc) was not changed during the shooting. Anyway, the inconsistent card switching has happend many times. I am led to believe, that card switching may occur, not always but sometimes, when switching the camera off and then on again, and/or viewing picture just taken. I cannot think of any other reason. In any case the card switching should not happen until card is full.