Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 13th February 2018
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 73
Thanked 177 Times in 157 Posts
Likes: 546
Liked 470 Times in 306 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Well now that the irritating Rob "and now ... Mozart" Cowan has gone back to Classic FM and has been replaced weekday mornings by Ian Skelly it's definitely on the up .
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 13th February 2018
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 7,314
Thanks: 306
Thanked 427 Times in 365 Posts
Likes: 2,373
Liked 1,623 Times in 1,109 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Try Radio 3, it's much less pompous than it used to be .
As long as we are not subjected to one of their dreadful 'Vacuum Cleaner' symphonies; and I don't mean Dyson in D.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (14th February 2018)
  #48  
Old 13th February 2018
DerekW DerekW is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 2,745
Thanks: 65
Thanked 299 Times in 234 Posts
Likes: 16
Liked 398 Times in 286 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

The criticisms of Classic FM mentioned above were valid 20 years ago and persuaded me to go back to the Today program on Radio 4 on my 50 minute commute to work. However before I switched to the Today program CFM did introduce me to new music.

CFM's best program was the recording of the bird song that was used to test out the coverage of the CFM transmitters prior to getting a license to broadcast.

We had a visitor from Switzerland at the birdsong time and he also saw the rows of cars lined up facing the sea listening to the CFM tests. He is convinced that is the UK's unique leisure pastime.
__________________
This space for rent
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (14th February 2018)
  #49  
Old 13th February 2018
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 1,768
Thanks: 73
Thanked 177 Times in 157 Posts
Likes: 546
Liked 470 Times in 306 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Radio 3's Sunday breakfast has a sequence of natural world sounds sometime between 8am and 8:30, called Sounds of the Earth. Mixed with some suitable music it can often be quite beautiful. A good way to start Sunday morning!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xx3t7
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (13th February 2018), OM USer (13th February 2018)
  #50  
Old 13th February 2018
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 7,314
Thanks: 306
Thanked 427 Times in 365 Posts
Likes: 2,373
Liked 1,623 Times in 1,109 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Radio 3's Sunday breakfast has a sequence of natural world sounds sometime between 8am and 8:30, called Sounds of the Earth. Mixed with some suitable music it can often be quite beautiful. A good way to start Sunday morning!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xx3t7
Thank you. I will try that.

It beats listening to Radio 2 trying to do religion without upsetting anyone.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 13th February 2018
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 6,156
Thanks: 277
Thanked 455 Times in 390 Posts
Likes: 1,707
Liked 996 Times in 657 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

I occasionally listen to 'Classical Music America'

https://www.3wk.com/player/playercma.php

The only problem I have with it is that Amazon 'Alexa' won't play it. I get the response "I'm sorry, I can't play music by genre."

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 14th February 2018
KeithL KeithL is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 5,017
Thanks: 380
Thanked 466 Times in 442 Posts
Likes: 1,537
Liked 1,402 Times in 824 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
The criticisms of Classic FM mentioned above were valid 20 years ago and persuaded me to go back to the Today program on Radio 4 on my 50 minute commute to work. However before I switched to the Today program CFM did introduce me to new music.

CFM's best program was the recording of the bird song that was used to test out the coverage of the CFM transmitters prior to getting a license to broadcast.

We had a visitor from Switzerland at the birdsong time and he also saw the rows of cars lined up facing the sea listening to the CFM tests. He is convinced that is the UK's unique leisure pastime.
That's called Twitter, methinks!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (14th February 2018)
  #53  
Old 14th February 2018
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 3,169
Thanks: 216
Thanked 1,030 Times in 637 Posts
Likes: 384
Liked 1,218 Times in 571 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

After reading through this thread, I do believe I've stumbled across a soution to the problem. It may not be the perfect answer for everyone, but it has certainly improved my related radio, and especialy the TV high blood pressure issues.

The solution is simple... Switch the bloody things off and read a book instead or, better still, have a .
__________________
It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 14th February 2018
KeithL KeithL is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 5,017
Thanks: 380
Thanked 466 Times in 442 Posts
Likes: 1,537
Liked 1,402 Times in 824 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
The solution is simple... Switch the bloody things off and read a book instead or, better still, have a .
I read loads of books! We have two bookcases overflowing with them. Problem is finding the right ones to read... We've exhausted most of the ones that interest us!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 14th February 2018
Jim Ford Jim Ford is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Watford, Herts..
Posts: 6,156
Thanks: 277
Thanked 455 Times in 390 Posts
Likes: 1,707
Liked 996 Times in 657 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Switch the bloody things off
I'm sorry Wally, you lost me there!



Jim
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 22nd February 2018
KeithL KeithL is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 5,017
Thanks: 380
Thanked 466 Times in 442 Posts
Likes: 1,537
Liked 1,402 Times in 824 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

I bought a hearing amplifier for TV etc. Tried it tonight. The result was a surprise! The sound output is out of sync with the picture and sound from the speakers! Actually makes it WORSE. The sound from the speakers is like an echo after the sound in the hearing amplifier; and the sound from the hearing amplifier is out of lip sync by a mile!

I had thought the device would be useful, because it also has a microphone that can be brought into play. Well, that isn't too bad, but for listening/watching tV, it's worse than not having it.

I assume that the problem is in the TV - probably due to it being based on a microprocessor, and the processing delay. Which means that it would be just as unhelpful to plug an audio amplifier into it.

Well, I wasn't expecting that.......
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 22nd February 2018
Johnheatingman Johnheatingman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,703
Thanks: 637
Thanked 372 Times in 307 Posts
Likes: 912
Liked 959 Times in 608 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I bought a hearing amplifier for TV etc. Tried it tonight. The result was a surprise! The sound output is out of sync with the picture and sound from the speakers! Actually makes it WORSE. The sound from the speakers is like an echo after the sound in the hearing amplifier; and the sound from the hearing amplifier is out of lip sync by a mile!

I had thought the device would be useful, because it also has a microphone that can be brought into play. Well, that isn't too bad, but for listening/watching tV, it's worse than not having it.

I assume that the problem is in the TV - probably due to it being based on a microprocessor, and the processing delay. Which means that it would be just as unhelpful to plug an audio amplifier into it.

Well, I wasn't expecting that.......
What kind of hearing amp is it Keith, hearing aid synced or using a headset or what?

John
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 22nd February 2018
KeithL KeithL is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 5,017
Thanks: 380
Thanked 466 Times in 442 Posts
Likes: 1,537
Liked 1,402 Times in 824 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
What kind of hearing amp is it Keith, hearing aid synced or using a headset or what?

John
No, it's a headset type. I tried a hearing aid before, and couldn't bear it! Hate things in my ears. However, I don't need much amplification; the problem that I have is lack of clarity of some people. I am convinced that I have lost some frequencies, but much of the spectrum is OK. The sound quality form this device is good, but an echo sure ain't! I shall probably return it for refund, having the option; then discuss it with them. I feel that I need something, but I'm unsure now what. It's a Geemarc CL3750.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mystery sound timboo The lounge 6 15th December 2017 07:47 PM
All round sound Barr1e Foto Fair 6 3rd April 2017 12:55 PM
No sound on video Ian Grego Olympus Pen Lite E-PL5 0 1st November 2014 05:41 AM
Lousy Olympus repair service Melaka The lounge 6 6th August 2014 07:09 AM
OM-D Video Sound trailer Olympus OM-D E-M5 3 27th February 2013 05:06 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:30 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger