Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th February 2018

Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
Re: Lousy TV sound

Hi John (heatingman), sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes, my aids are the Bernaphon CN7C, which are really quite good for free ones, and are the ones Scrivens supply on the NHS. They have push-button volume controls (one for up and one for down) on each one but no other settings ie. phone, tv etc.

I believe (but am not positive) that Oticon and Bernaphon are one and the same company but have different models, Oticon spares are easy to get but Bernaphon aren't as easy. I have been wanting to try different domes to see if one is more suitable than others but am having difficulty finding them (I find that with my MP3 player, even though I have really clean and crisp (in ear) earphones, the type of dome on them does make a difference, and the manufacturers ones are not always the best, even on £75 phones).

I have a 5:1 surround sound on my TV with a Pioneer amp and Tannoy speakers which does make a big difference but even that cannot make a silk purse out of the sows ear of bad miking by sound engineers. My aids do make a big difference to the sound though but certain sounds, like applause, tends to make them lower the volume for a second or two, presumably because that is one of the frequencies they are amplifying the most.

Cheers my friend

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith-369 For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (6th February 2018)
Old 6th February 2018

Liked 1,623 Times in 1,109 Posts

I have also noticed that the sound quality on Classic FM is much better when music or adverts are being played, but seems abysmal when the presenters are speaking; as if using a very low bit rate link. I even wonder whether these programmes are presented from remote studios, hence the loss of audio quality.

However, the extreme compression applied to music during some of their peak time broadcasts is unforgivable.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th February 2018

Liked 379 Times in 138 Posts

Our solution for DVD films has been headphones, doesnt make it a lot clearer but i can ramp it up when the neighbors are in bed.
Old 8th February 2018

Liked 1,402 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I have also noticed that the sound quality on Classic FM is much better when music or adverts are being played, but seems abysmal when the presenters are speaking; as if using a very low bit rate link. I even wonder whether these programmes are presented from remote studios, hence the loss of audio quality.

However, the extreme compression applied to music during some of their peak time broadcasts is unforgivable.
Maybe they do it from their back bedroom......
Old 8th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Maybe they do it from their back bedroom......
That did occur to me. It would certainly save costs.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (9th February 2018)
Old 9th February 2018

Quote:

One thing I do notice with Classic FM, they don't seem able to read a clock. On the breakfast slot, the announcer often gets it wrong. This morning, he said, "Now, at 16 minutes to 9.." Panic! I got up, looked at my clock... it was 16 minutes to 8! Another day, it was the other way.

Perhaps that indicates back bedroom - no clock...
Old 9th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
One thing I do notice with Classic FM, they don't seem able to read a clock. On the breakfast slot, the announcer often gets it wrong. This morning, he said, "Now, at 16 minutes to 9.." Panic! I got up, looked at my clock... it was 16 minutes to 8! Another day, it was the other way.

Perhaps that indicates back bedroom - no clock...
Without doubt I'm sure most of their programmes are pre-recorded. They have already decided what music they want to play so they may well be doing it from the back room.

(Just request a specific piece of organ music and no matter what you ask for you will get that wretched Widor. )

But if the Presenter makes the mistake of looking at their wristwatch .....

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th February 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,168 Posts
Liked 1,341 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Without doubt I'm sure most of their programmes are pre-recorded. They have already decided what music they want to play so they may well be doing it from the back room.

(Just request a specific piece of organ music and no matter what you ask for you will get that wretched Widor. )

But if the Presenter makes the mistake of looking at their wristwatch .....
I like Widor!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
KeithL (10th February 2018)
Old 10th February 2018

Liked 996 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
I think I've mentioned before that my personal bÍte noire is the wretched snivelling 'Spiegel im spiegel' by Arvo 'Fart' - that and the equally dire 'Concierto de Aranjuez' by Rodrigo. I don't listen to CFM anymore because they seem to incessantly play those pieces when I select the station.

Jim
Old 11th February 2018

Liked 470 Times in 306 Posts

I like Arvo Part . But I agree CFM's playlist is somewhat limited. Like Radio 2 it gets better in the evenings, but not much!
Old 12th February 2018

I get thoroughly fed up with Tim L...what's his name playing four 'patriotic' pieces frequently: Coates' Dambusters' March; Walton's Spitfire Prelude and Fugue, Crown Imperial (I hate that!); and Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance No 1. Played once or twice, fine; but done to death! Just as if they are trying to brainwash the listeners. We aren't supposed to be a totalitarian state - yet. We don't need constant 'patriotic' pieces drilled into us.
Old 13th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I like Widor!

Ian
Your comment says it all Ian, as if the Toccata from Widor's 5th was the only music that Widor ever wrote.

There is nothing particularly wrong with hearing the Widor Toccata once in a while, although music scholars will tell you that in terms of composition it has very little substance; a point which Widor himself was happy to admit. (As its name implies, Widor wrote the 'Toccata' very much as a 'party piece' for showing off, not intended for serious listening. Widor also played it much more slowly then we hear it today.)

Interestingly, music scholars say much the same about JS Bach's well known Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (BWV 565). However, that is not my point.

Both Bach and Widor wrote a lot of other, much better organ music which is never, ever heard on Classic FM. Widor's 6th for example is a really stonking piece, (and is very tricky to play), which if better known would almost certainly replace the Toccata from Widor's 5th as a favourite.

Interestingly, the Toccata from Widor's 5th is preceded by a sublime adagio, which again is very rarely broadcast, and certainly never on CFM.

In terms of organ music there are many wonderful pieces written by composers such as Alain, Franck, Faure, Mozart, Vierne, Stanford, Reubke, Liszt, and Howells, just to name a few.

Classical music should be about exploring new music and styles, not seeking comfort in the same favourites hour after hour. Would anyone listen to Radio 2 if they played the same music every hour, year after year?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th February 2018

Quote:
In terms of organ music there are many wonderful pieces written by composers such as Alain, Franck, Faure, Mozart, Vierne, Stanford, Reubke, Liszt, and Howells, just to name a few.

Classical music should be about exploring new music and styles, not seeking comfort in the same favourites hour after hour. Would anyone listen to Radio 2 if they played the same music every hour, year after year?
Personally I like Mozart's Requiem. But I wouldn't want to hear it every day!

Or maybe discomfort, as the case may be! I am not a fan of shall we call it ethnic music, but I have a number of CDs of mid European, Cuban, and Argentinian music, which I find a very pleasing listen. Have you heard Mercedes Sosa singing? A unique voice, which I find really inspiring. Real Cuban music is not like Mexican popular music, but quite sophisticated - try Frank Emilio Flynn. And I have a record (yes, one of those!) called "Hamborg an de Waterkant", seamen's songs, and songs from the Reeperbahn clubs of the 30s up to the 50s. Brilliant!
Old 13th February 2018

Liked 470 Times in 306 Posts

Quote:
Classical music should be about exploring new music and styles, not seeking comfort in the same favourites hour after hour.
Try Radio 3, it's much less pompous than it used to be .
Old 13th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Try Radio 3, it's much less pompous than it used to be .
Radio 3, pompous??? NEVER!
Naughty Nigel (13th February 2018)