Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 31st January 2017

Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Re: Selling to a dealer

Ffordes is as good a bet as any, I've used them for both selling and buying. You should get a better price from them than from a trade-in, they simply take a 20% commission on the sale price. You might not get the proceeds immediately as obviously you'll only get paid when they sell the kit but my experience with them has been very good.
Old 31st January 2017

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Ffordes is as good a bet as any, I've used them for both selling and buying. You should get a better price from them than from a trade-in, they simply take a 20% commission on the sale price. You might not get the proceeds immediately as obviously you'll only get paid when they sell the kit but my experience with them has been very good.
I agree that Ffordes are very good. They seem to get a good price for the comission sales which goes some way to offsetting the 20% commission fee. I have also had very good experience with Clifton Cameras who offered me a much better price than other dealers on my part exchange when I bought the Olympus 12-100 f4.
Old 16th February 2017

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Just today I had a similar experience. I had recently contacted Ffordes and been offered a reasonable price for my camera and a number of lens. But I thought I would try local and popped in Bristol Cameras during my lunch break with the kit, most in original boxes and in good condition. After a half hour looking through my kit I was offered a third, yes a third of what Ffordes had offered. I was gob smaked, and made me just think about giving up getting a new camera all together. So I may still use Ffordes or I may give it a go advertising on here. Going to sulk for a bit longer first though

E-620, XZ-1
FlickR
Facebook
Old 16th February 2017

Liked 786 Times in 468 Posts

Ffordes... I wish you well. I ordered and received email confirmation of such for a Sekonic L-398A for 149.95 Three days later I phoned to ask about the next day delivery I had paid for to be told they were out of stock. I was advised that I could reorder at the increased price of 179.99.
In the past I've spent a few thousand pounds at Ffordes, but this experience will cause me to think again in the future.

on flickr
Old 18th February 2017

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

A quick update to my earlier post, visited LCE in Bath today and they offered me a very good deal, in about the same price region as Ffordes, on my E620 and associated lens.
Put it towards a nice new Panasonic G80

E-620, XZ-1
FlickR
Facebook
Old 19th February 2017

Liked 253 Times in 185 Posts

The end of the story as far as I am concerned, all the stuff I needed to sell has been sold through this forum. The process has been painless, the online purchase of Royal Mail parcel service has been very helpful for the process, and quite economical for all parties.

Lessons learnt
1st lesson - to sell on the kit as soon as the first pangs of lust are felt for the new device or at least as soon as one has ordered the latest and greatest version of the camera, so as to sell before the prices really tumble.

2nd lesson - keep all the boxes, cables manuals and straps so that they can be included with item when sold on to a new owner.

Common sense really.
Melaka (19th February 2017), Wee man (19th February 2017)