Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,126 Times in 738 Posts
Panasonic 15mm f1.7 suitable companion?

I'm considering a suitable lens to complement the Sigma 30mm f1.4 I bought recently, and am wondering what forum members think.

I've got the Panasonic 12-32 and 32-100 lenses for my E-P5, but have never been thrilled with their performance. I guess I've been spoilt by my 4/3 'Super Pro' lenses. The Sigma 30mm f1.4 seems to be nearer what I'm used to, so I'm considering a wider angle lens to go with it, and am wondering if the Panasonic 15mm f1.7 would be suitable.

Any other suggestions (that won't break the bank)?

Jim
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 64 Times in 51 Posts
Re: Panasonic 15mm f1.7 suitable companion?

I owned the PanLeica 15mm f1.7 for about 2 years before selling it recently. I felt that as a wide angle lens it was superb in all respects. The reason i sold it was because I also had the Olympus 17mm f1.8 which I was definitely keeping and so the 15mm focal length prime was a bit out of place. After selling it I bought the Olympus 12mm F2, which I felt was a more suitable companion to the 17mm.

But looking at it from your perspective, yes, IMO the PanLeica 15mm f1.7 would be a great companion to the Sigma 30mm f1.4
The Following User Says Thank You to Loup Garou For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

I have the Panasonic 15mm and it's a very nice lens albeit a slightly unusual focal length.
Also have the Olympus 12mm and Panasonic 25mm f1.4, use all three although do wonder if a 17mm might be a better mid length option.
Be aware that the aperture ring on the lens won't work on an Olympus body, just change aperture in the usual manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tram For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
I have Panasonic 25mm f1.4
This is another lens that I owned and used for a few years before selling. When the Sigma 30mm f 1.4 DC DN came out, I felt that it had a few more options than the PanLeica 25mm f1.4. My mindset was that the Olympus 17mm f1.8 served as the "general purpose" lens, thus slightly reducing the functionality of PanLeica 25mm lens. Then, between the Panleica 25mm and Sigma 30mm, I felt that the latter was better for full-length portraits and couple portraits; so, I sold the 25mm lens.
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 264 Times in 141 Posts

There was a poster over at Talk Photography who'd bought one then tried to sell it on. They may be a poster here too but I don't recognise the same name.
It seemed to hang around for ages then IIRC they traded it in at MPB - it may well be this one...
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/new-equipm...mm-f-1-7-asph/

When I was looking for a wider angle prime I had this or the Olympus 17mm f1.8 on my list. I didn't find a used one for sale but the O17mm is reasonably common and I got a great one for a good price.

In the end the O17mm is my most used lens so I'm more than happy. The focus clutch is a nice touch and as the aperture ring on the PL15mm is non functional on my E-M10ii it would have been pointless.

I'm pleased I paid 220 for mine vs. 480 I could have paid for the PL15mm.

If I wanted wider than the 17mm prime and the light was poor I might look at the Olympus 12mm f2.0
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
If I wanted wider than the 17mm prime and the light was poor I might look at the Olympus 12mm f2.0
Good choice. The Olympus 12mm f2 is a proper wide-angle lens and like the 17mm f1.8, is all metal with a similar 'clutch' for manual focusing. With both but especially the 12mm, a lens hood (also metal) is useful and the JJC ones cost less than half of the non-standard Olympus' ones and are just as good.
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I had an Oly 17mm for a while and while it's undoubtedly a good lens it never really 'clicked' with me. I exchanged it for a PL15 and that's now my most used prime lens. I like the focal length and find it good it for street and general photography. I'm not sure what it is, whether it's slightly different colours or something else, but I just seem to like the images that come from that lens more.
The Following User Says Thank You to percy For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago)
Tram (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,047 Times in 796 Posts
Liked 4,730 Times in 1,543 Posts

I may have an Oly 12mm f2 for sale if anyone is interested.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
I had an Oly 17mm for a while and while it's undoubtedly a good lens it never really 'clicked' with me. I exchanged it for a PL15 and that's now my most used prime lens. I like the focal length and find it good it for street and general photography. I'm not sure what it is, whether it's slightly different colours or something else, but I just seem to like the images that come from that lens more.
I agree that the colours and contrast from the PL 15mm are very pleasing.
Find the PL 25mm to be the same, if anything even nicer.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
I had an Oly 17mm for a while and while it's undoubtedly a good lens it never really 'clicked' with me.
Which one? There is also an older Olympus 17mm f2.8 'Pancake' lens that is just OK but I have always thought that the 17mm f1.8 is superb.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 264 Times in 141 Posts

FWIW I got the 17mm f2.8 as my first prime lens.
It's decent in my opinion a lot better than the reputation it has esp. as it's very cheap
These are some of the shots I took with mine.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/...57684170394321

It was because I enjoyed that focal length that I spent a bit more than double to go from f2.8 to f1.8 and gain the focus clutch

I listed the Olympus 17mm f2.8 but never sold it - if anyone is interested here it is
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47151
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
Which one? There is also an older Olympus 17mm f2.8 'Pancake' lens that is just OK but I have always thought that the 17mm f1.8 is superb.
It was the f1.8. Not a bad lens by any means and there's not really much to choose between them, but I just find the images from the PL15 more pleasing with slightly better/different colours and contrast. But of course it's all down to personal preference.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts

I have the Pana Leica 15mm and it seems very fine, though I'm not really qualified or accomplished enough to make detailed comparisons.

I do think there would be a certain appeal to a slightly OCD arithmetician in having a set of primes consisting of the Samyang 7.5mm, Pana Leica 15mm, Sigma 30mm and Olympus 60mm :-)
drmarkf (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,044 Times in 586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
FWIW I got the 17mm f2.8 as my first prime lens.
It's decent in my opinion a lot better than the reputation it has esp. as it's very cheap
These are some of the shots I took with mine.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/...57684170394321

It was because I enjoyed that focal length that I spent a bit more than double to go from f2.8 to f1.8 and gain the focus clutch

I listed the Olympus 17mm f2.8 but never sold it - if anyone is interested here it is
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47151
Although the f2.8 version doesn't test as well as the 1.8, it's surely good enough for most uses, and it's so short it almost allows the smallest recent m4/3 bodies to reach the 'pocketable without spoiling the line of a suit' criterion. I don't know how its image quality compares with the collapsable 12-32 Panny, but there's probably not much difference. Apparently it's also a decent IR lens.

I nearly got one when I had a GM1, but in the end I traded that in for my Fuji X70 which is thinner still (and has a different bunch of compromises that, overall, suit me better).

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Although the f2.8 version doesn't test as well as the 1.8, it's surely good enough for most uses, and it's so short it almost allows the smallest recent m4/3 bodies to reach the 'pocketable without spoiling the line of a suit' criterion.
That is true. I had the 17mm f2.8 for over 3 years and it was good enough. I sold it with the original OMD EM5 when I bought the Mk II and at the same time upgraded to the 17mm f1.8.

Probably just me but I have always believed that a 35mm FF equivalent prime lens is a MUST with any kit. I sometimes wish the f1.8 was 17.5mm just to satisfy my OCD.
AMc (1 Week Ago)