Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,511 Times in 914 Posts
Re: Tony Northrup believes micro-four-thirds is dead

Of course FF won't die, film is making a resurgence with many new players in the emulsion market. So too for FF digital, it's firmly entrenched and has become the de facto standard for many photographers. It's so engrained that many clients employing the service of professional photographers will enquire about the kit they use, eg for weddings; if it's not the Canon 5D Mk iv questions are often asked.

on flickr
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
So much of what I say is incorporated in that response. Especially the out of focus “fad” that has grabbed people’s attention in much the same way as HDR and tone mapping did, to the point where the RPS banned it...
I think if you read photography books from the 1960s, then high depth of field was considered a good thing. They used to say that in good light you can use a narrow aperture and everything will be in focus; if the light is poor you have to use a wider aperture and the problem with that is that some areas of your photo could be blurred!.

Low depth of field and having areas out of focus is a more recent and slightly mystifying fashion. If you were a painter then you can freely make some parts of an image blurred and other parts sharp. If you're a photographer with a very wide aperture lens you can only make the choices about which bits to be blurred based on distance from the camera. I'm no expert in post processing software but I expect you can (or will soon be able to) add blur or "bokeh" after the event to any parts of the image you choose, if you or your audience happen to like that effect.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago
Grumpy Member

Liked 484 Times in 230 Posts

At some point m43 will die. As will APSC. Something else will come along as that is the way of technology. Personally I do not think it will be for some time due to the same technology advancing sensor performance which will enable our smaller format to thrive.

The key will be Olympus keeping true to the idea of small size as that is the big plus I here/see whenever people have changed from APSC or even FF. Phrases like"I'm taking more images as I always have my camera with me now" and " I'm really enjoying photography again" seem to be typical. The rumours about the 1X having a built in vertical grips therefore worry me if there is any truth in it as that does not sound like a small camera.

I think one growth area could be mirrorless medium format or even 5*4. Think of the latter if such a sensor could be developed at a cost less than it took to put a man on the moon or the average weekly wage of a footballer!! Cool eh?

I know I'm slipping into fantasy land. However, notwithstanding the financial aspect, I've thought more and more lately that if I was to change system I'd go mirrorless medium format as my still life/botanical/macro work increases and I don't need portability for that.

As regards Mr Northrup I stopped listening to him some time ago as he really irritates me now for some reason.

Hec
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,028 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
At some point m43 will die. As will APSC. Something else will come along as that is the way of technology. Personally I do not think it will be for some time due to the same technology advancing sensor performance which will enable our smaller format to thrive.

The key will be Olympus keeping true to the idea of small size as that is the big plus I here/see whenever people have changed from APSC or even FF. Phrases like"I'm taking more images as I always have my camera with me now" and " I'm really enjoying photography again" seem to be typical. The rumours about the 1X having a built in vertical grips therefore worry me if there is any truth in it as that does not sound like a small camera.

I think one growth area could be mirrorless medium format or even 5*4. Think of the latter if such a sensor could be developed at a cost less than it took to put a man on the moon or the average weekly wage of a footballer!! Cool eh?

I know I'm slipping into fantasy land. However, notwithstanding the financial aspect, I've thought more and more lately that if I was to change system I'd go mirrorless medium format as my still life/botanical/macro work increases and I don't need portability for that.

As regards Mr Northrup I stopped listening to him some time ago as he really irritates me now for some reason.

Hec

You missed one out on your list FF will also be replaced by the next best thing.
It's called progress.

Don't look forward in a rear view mirror -

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,190 Times in 940 Posts
Liked 1,591 Times in 934 Posts

If this E-M1X has a built in grip then it should be less bulky than the E-M1 Mk II with the HLD-9 with more efficient use of space & be much more reliable for weather sealing. It won't be as much the camera one would always have with them, unlike the more compact arrangement of an E-M1 Mk II (including bottom Arca Swiss plate) & 12-40 lens that I put in a Kata bag (DC-439 DL) for minimal baggage bulk.
However, I can see it would go well in a holster type bag with the coming (hopefully) 150-400 F4.0-5.6 lens though.

A built-in vertical grip & with wireless flash triggering (hopefully) makes it sound like more of a Pro camera.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Thom Hogan is not too optimistic either...……..Too many mounts and too many makers
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
You missed one out on your list FF will also be replaced by the next best thing.
Definitely not.

on flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Definitely not.
Please explain why FF is immune to being replaced by new Tech

My Flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

I’m getting bored talking about, even thinking about, camera technology.
But on this special occasion... 135 FF is so firmly entrenched, much like driving on the left in the UK. But in reality, who really gives a rat’s ‘whatnot’ whether a technology such as M4/3, APS-C or 135 FF withers. But I do care about the future of film emulsions, and I have a number of 135 film cameras to last me to the grave, maybe beyond.

I’m happy (ish) to talk about photographic images, but not about the equipment used. I don’t know how I got involved in the discussion, a moment of madness, obviously.

on flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

No technology is so firmly entrenched it can't be superceeded. You could have said that about candles last century or 8 track tapes and CD/DVD recorders more recently.

My Flickr
Old 1 Week Ago
Grumpy Member

Liked 484 Times in 230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
If this E-M1X has a built in grip then it should be less bulky than the E-M1 Mk II with the HLD-9 with more efficient use of space & be much more reliable for weather sealing. It won't be as much the camera one would always have with them, unlike the more compact arrangement of an E-M1 Mk II (including bottom Arca Swiss plate) & 12-40 lens that I put in a Kata bag (DC-439 DL) for minimal baggage bulk.
However, I can see it would go well in a holster type bag with the coming (hopefully) 150-400 F4.0-5.6 lens though.

A built-in vertical grip & with wireless flash triggering (hopefully) makes it sound like more of a Pro camera.

An interesting thought which I simply had not considered.

One flaw in it is that some people, myself included, decided that I would not get the grip for the Mk2 and just had an extra battery. I had one for the MK1 and very rarely used it.

On that basis the extra size compared to a "naked" MK2 is a backward step and going away from one of the major selling points of the system.

We should all remember of course this whole discussion is based on rumour and conjecture.

Hec
Graham from Wirral (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 615 Times in 423 Posts

One of the small things I like a lot about the E-M1 Mk II is that the battery gauge is much improved. On all the previous Olys I have had it has been so unreliable that for shooting events I would always use the grip so as not to be taken by surprise by a dead battery. With the Mark II I have never felt the need for the grip.

John
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello friends, I need to heal a doubt, I have a 40-150 3.5-4.5 I use in an E3 and E30, but this lens broke and does not open the diaphragm, in Brazil there is no technical assistance, however I have a new 40-150, I think be 4-5.6 not sure which of the two is better, thanks!
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,190 Times in 940 Posts
Liked 1,591 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
An interesting thought which I simply had not considered.

One flaw in it is that some people, myself included, decided that I would not get the grip for the Mk2 and just had an extra battery. I had one for the MK1 and very rarely used it.

On that basis the extra size compared to a "naked" MK2 is a backward step and going away from one of the major selling points of the system.

We should all remember of course this whole discussion is based on rumour and conjecture.

Hec
Not if you permanently have a 150-400mm F4-5.6 zoom lens or 300 F4 lens with MC14 attached. I think this camera is aimed it those sort of users. Don't forget Japan will be hosting the 2020 Olympics & Olympus will be ready (hopefully) with a suitable Pro sports camera outfit for it. Having wireless flash trigger & receivers should be welcome too (hopefully compatible with other model cameras too).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Liked 394 Times in 215 Posts

Really interesting post here

https://www.michaelrammell.com/blog/olympus-has-fallen

He's really right about the fact that Olympus need to do a lot better at marketing and key to that is more launches ... those grab headlines

The point he makes which I agree with and where he says variants are good - it's true IMO

Quote:
Here’s what I think Olympus really need to do; they need to at least start by looking at their cameras as tools that each have a different target market, rather than simply making a camera platform and then adding and removing parts to meet certain price points.
There is some other stuff I don't agree with in the article as well mind

regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/