Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10

Olympus OM-D E-M10 The smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 13th March 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
EM 10 IS noise

Picked up an EM 10 from Jessops last night. On powering up you can hear a faint hiss from the loudspeaker which increases considerably when you half press the shutter release to make the IS kick in. I rang Olympus technical help to query this and was told this is normal for the type of IS fitted to the EM10.
Does anyone else have the same noise?
Ken
Old 13th March 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,189 Posts
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,621 Posts
Re: EM 10 IS noise

On my E-M5, yes. How noticable it is depends on the environment - in a busy street it's barely audible but if you are alone in a church it can be almost deafening! Unless it particularly irritates you it is nothing to worry about.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th March 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok -so it is normal but it is annoying. Why is it happening? Is electronic noise being picked up by the microphone and instantly reproduced? This would imply a design flaw.

Ken
Old 13th March 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,189 Posts
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,621 Posts

I don't think the noise is being picked up by the mic (although it might in video mode, I don't know), I believe it emminates directly from the IS. You do get used to it and I'm rarely aware of it now, except if in a country church!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 14th March 2014

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

I'm very sensitive to noise, even the faint hum of distant traffic can annoy me…I thought I'd never be happy with the EM-5 when I first heard it but now I never hear it. So I'm saying don't worry…if I can get used to it then I think probably anyone can. As compensation you do have a very advanced IS system there.
I think Zuiko is right, its the sound of the system suspending the sensor - not a speaker problem. Hope that helps.
Old 6th May 2014

Liked 70 Times in 31 Posts

You can turn the IBIS off with half shutter press. I did this straight away as I found it annoying. The IBIS still works for the actual shot, but it doesn't kick in when composing the shot, therefore if you're using long lenses it might be difficult to MF as the image will be shaking too much.

For the rare occasion I do this I'll turn the IBIS on for half shutter press, but otherwise I'll leave it off.

Annoyingly I've found that you can hear the IBIS during video playback, so I'll disable IBIS during video too unless I'm using a long lens.
Old 6th May 2014

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah it is a bit disconcerting at first. I got used to it very quickly on the E-M5 though, never give it a second thought now.
Old 18th June 2014

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Mine has it, but I hardly notice it.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 18th June 2014

Liked 126 Times in 33 Posts

Ahhhh thats what the noise is. I was wondering what it was.
Ive had my Em10 just over a week and noticed this, sounds a bit like a panasonic hdd video camera i used to use only much quieter.