Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 6th July 2010

Liked 688 Times in 251 Posts
Noise!!

A noisy image taken on my E3 100 iso, 1/20 @f22 on tripod.
[IMG][/IMG]
Another taken seconds later, iso 100, 1/6th f22, on tripod.
[IMG][/IMG]

Basic processing in LR2.

The histogram on both look identical. Why such a difference in noise?
Old 6th July 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Noise!!

Did you use live view in between?
Old 6th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post
Did you use live view in between?
Yes. I used live view to focus both images.
Should it make a difference?
Old 6th July 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, a.f.a.i.k. using the Live View for a prolonged time (and thus heating up the sensor) does have its effect on the noise level.

Karel
Old 6th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post
Yes, a.f.a.i.k. using the Live View for a prolonged time (and thus heating up the sensor) does have its effect on the noise level.

Karel
Only 3 mins between exposures. I would hope it wasn't that.
Old 6th July 2010

Liked 967 Times in 380 Posts

Do I spot -1ev exposure offset? If you had to lift the pictures in Lightroom as a result you might have enhanced the noise. The exif also shows sharpness and saturation as +2 which might not be a good start. Also does that camera do Shadow Adjustment, which also tempts noise..

None of this explains the difference between the two shots, unless the slower speed switches on frame subtract, and that cleaned things up somehow?

No. I'm talking out of my elbow here, I only use raw file mode. TBH I have no idea

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 6th July 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave

I don't want to hijack your thread, but having played with my recent 12-60mm acquisition at the weekend I was surprised by what I thought to be noise (or certainly what appears to be banding) in the shot below in the bottom left hand corner.

It is a RAW file straight out of the camera that has only been converted in LR2.7. I had been using LV the day before for some macro work but I don't recall using LV before I took this shot (with the intention to try and get a 'starburst' and lens flare by shooting at f11).

Whilst the histogram shows unsurprisingly that the image is blown in clouds and the sun, none of the image is clipped at the other end. I had forgot to reset the EV having shot elsewhere in the garden and is +0.3 (which won't help of course).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP
Old 6th July 2010

Liked 967 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gethin View Post
Dave

I don't want to hijack your thread, but having played with my recent 12-60mm acquisition at the weekend I was surprised by what I thought to be noise (or certainly what appears to be banding) in the shot below in the bottom left hand corner.

It is a RAW file straight out of the camera that has only been converted in LR2.7. I had been using LV the day before for some macro work but I don't recall using LV before I took this shot (with the intention to try and get a 'starburst' and lens flare by shooting at f11).

Whilst the histogram shows unsurprisingly that the image is blown in clouds and the sun, none of the image is clipped at the other end. I had forgot to reset the EV having shot elsewhere in the garden and is +0.3 (which won't help of course).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Seems to me that the end of the shed doesn't go right down to black, and maybe this is due to the +.3 compensation. I checked the histogram and it confirms this. Whenever I have tried to see details in dark shadows by lifting them slightly it always goes wrong and up pops the noise.

These days I am no longer afraid of the dark and I am happy to let small parts of an image go to true black

You could always use "select by colour range" to pick out the shadows and then give them a good noise reducing.. there isn't usually an awful lot of detail in the shadows

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 23rd July 2010

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

I'm still curious why Dave's photos are so different, or did I miss something? I use live view a lot when shooting landscapes, wasn't even aware that it could heat up the sensor. I always have it flipped to the side though, but maybe that doesn't matter?

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 23rd July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathrine Spikkerud View Post
I'm still curious why Dave's photos are so different, or did I miss something? I use live view a lot when shooting landscapes, wasn't even aware that it could heat up the sensor. I always have it flipped to the side though, but maybe that doesn't matter?
Don't think you missed anything Catherine. As Pete says, I too have no idea.
I use live view a lot for my landscape work, only once have I had the sensor overheat, it shut the camera down. But that was on a very extended nighttime shoot.
Old 23rd July 2010

Liked 681 Times in 454 Posts

My CRT 23 inch Mitsubishi Diamondtron is pretty good and I keep it calibrated, but I can't see obvious problems with any of the images.

It looks like the second one of the adaptor photo's is angled and shows up the texture of the anodising, whereas the first isn't.

What monitors are you using, that show up problems in the images?

Jim