Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21st July 2009
blu-by-u blu-by-u is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Selangor, Malaysia
Posts: 1,721
Thanks: 203
Thanked 87 Times in 73 Posts
Likes: 277
Liked 615 Times in 327 Posts
What are your settings?

Got my E-620 and I am very unhappy with the Image Quality. It's noisy and hazy. In comparison to my E-330, it loose out by a large margin.

I have switched that Gradation to Normal. There is not much difference as I still get grains even at ISO100 and ISO200.

Let's share your settings.
__________________
* Henry
* Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
* Malaysia


All my garbage so far.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20th January 2010
Radar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What are your settings?

Scanning through old posts and responding a little late :

I've experienced the same as you but this is better after playing with all the settings. What made the biggest difference for me was the DPI-setting(?) I changed from Auto to 350 and the pictures is much improved. Gradation is also changed and Noise reduction is set to "off" Sharpness is set to +1 and now I hardly do any adjustments on PC.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20th January 2010
snaarman's Avatar
snaarman snaarman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baaarkshire UK
Posts: 6,824
Thanks: 493
Thanked 416 Times in 324 Posts
Likes: 489
Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: What are your settings?

I modified my E620 metering setting to over expose by 2/3 of a stop. Thus all the pictures come out ok or a little bright. I then lower the brightness in ACR and Photoshop to get the correct result. You can do this without clipping the highlights if you are careful.

However, if I underexpose a scene in the camera then lift the picture in Photoshop, I usually see some noise in shadows. (My opinion is that the E620 is slightly worse than the E510 in this).

All this applies to raw image mode, I don't have any experience in Jpeg out of the camera.

Pete
__________________
Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20th January 2010
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,341
Thanks: 412
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Likes: 816
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: What are your settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I modified my E620 metering setting to over expose by 2/3 of a stop. Thus all the pictures come out ok or a little bright. I then lower the brightness in ACR and Photoshop to get the correct result. You can do this without clipping the highlights if you are careful.

However, if I underexpose a scene in the camera then lift the picture in Photoshop, I usually see some noise in shadows. (My opinion is that the E620 is slightly worse than the E510 in this).

All this applies to raw image mode, I don't have any experience in Jpeg out of the camera.

Pete
There is a school of thought that it's beneficial to have your histograms peaking to the right, and as lons as you haven't gone too far, highlights can be recovered with surprisingly good results. In other words, reducing the brightness is much better than brightening an original image.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20th January 2010
StephenL's Avatar
StephenL StephenL is offline
Senior Pixelmonger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yorkshire Dales
Posts: 9,863
Thanks: 984
Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Likes: 658
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: What are your settings?

That's the way I tend to work with my E-620 - underexpose by 1/3 of a stop as a rule, unless the subject dictates otherwise. No noticable problems with noise up to ISO 800. But you have to look at your photos realistically - what is noise to you might be attractive grain to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
There is a school of thought that it's beneficial to have your histograms peaking to the right, and as lons as you haven't gone too far, highlights can be recovered with surprisingly good results. In other words, reducing the brightness is much better than brightening an original image.

Ian
__________________
Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20th January 2010
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 11,341
Thanks: 412
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Likes: 816
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: What are your settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
That's the way I tend to work with my E-620 - underexpose by 1/3 of a stop as a rule, unless the subject dictates otherwise. No noticable problems with noise up to ISO 800. But you have to look at your photos realistically - what is noise to you might be attractive grain to me
Actually, I mean over-expose with care, not under-expose. The theory is that if you brighten an image you will generate noise. If you darken an image, you will suppress noise.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20th January 2010
StephenL's Avatar
StephenL StephenL is offline
Senior Pixelmonger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yorkshire Dales
Posts: 9,863
Thanks: 984
Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Likes: 658
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: What are your settings?

That's why I tend to underexpose according to the camera's metering. That way I find I don't need to do any brightness adjustments in post-processing, and the slight "natural" darkness in the image simply doesn't show (as much) noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
If you darken an image, you will suppress noise.

Ian
__________________
Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help - E510 settings thecedars Olympus E-510 9 11th June 2009 02:50 PM
JPG settings E-3/E1 sapper The lounge 7 2nd July 2008 09:16 PM
What settings? Meogeo Camera conference 7 12th February 2008 07:41 PM
Moon settings. Barr1e The lounge 0 23rd January 2008 10:51 PM
Out the box settings Rod Souter Olympus E-510 26 27th November 2007 08:45 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger